Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 03 ex 5 speed and recently this past summe my fans stopped coming on and I realized the when E started overheating after driving on the highway.... FYI I hit a deer last fall and had my rad and one of the fans replaced... I dissconected fans from harness and ran straight to battery both fans worked without hesitation I pulled relays and both seemed fine ran power thru the relays and fans came on so not wiring or ground problem checked all 3 fuses and they were all good haven't checked any switches or sensors because I don't know what else there is to check thinking it's the thermostate

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's been my assumption for awhile now I just don't quite know how to go about testing that cuz I don't know where it is

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the auxiliary fan switch on an 03 ex and how would I go about testing it to see if it's still good. Secondly where is the thermostate and how would I go about testing it.... Any help would be greatly appreciated I've done some googling to no avail and am really in a pinch I do t wana replace one when it's the other cuz I'm on a bit of a tight budget so don't Want to take it to the dealer just yet thanks guys

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Where is the auxiliary fan switch on an 03 ex and how would I go about testing it to see if it's still good. Secondly where is the thermostate and how would I go about testing it....
Before I answer...a few other things to ponder:

Did you check fuse #4 (20Amp) in the underhood box, and #14 (10amp) under dash?

When/if you need it...The radiator fan relay is in the under hood fuse box (lower right side as you're looking down on it.) It is a "normally open" relay.

Does fan work with A/C on or not at all?

Cool....now some info:

The fan switch is at the bottom of the radiator....on the fan side, just about in the center. A "quickie" way to test it "jump" the wires at the connector going to it and see if that makes the fan run. If the fans start working it is prolly the switch. :wink: The "right" way is to pull the switch and put it (suspend w/ terminal side up) in a container of hot water. Check for continuity accross the two terminals...there should be contanuity around 195-205 deg F. It should switch "off" (no continuity) about 5-15deg F less than the "on" temperature.

A quickie way to see if the fan motors work is to just take power direct from the battery to the (disconected) fan wires.

The thermostat is at the motor end of the lower radiator hose. Pull the hose off and pop it out of its special little "housing." Put it in a container of water on the stove...it should start to open around 170degs. By 190-195deg it should be fully open. (sorry, I don't speak Canuck, so maybe someone can translate my temperature descriptions into centergrade :wink:)

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the fuses b4 there good ... The fans turn on for short bursts when the ac is on but I turn the ac off they stop so must be the thermostate or fan switch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem found jumped the fan switch and low and behold they have power thanks for all your help guys now I just need to order a new one and install it..... Will I have to drain the rad to change this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts