Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I think of introducing my souther co-workers to the traditions of faschnauts Does anyone have a recipee?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looked this one up on Google. Try at your own risk :)

Alice Faust’s Family Recipe #2: Fashnachts with Yeast

2 cups scalded milk
½ cup lard
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 teaspoons salt
¾ cup sugar
2 well beaten eggs
1 package yeast
7 cups flour, approximately

Scald milk and add mashed potatoes, sugar, salt, and lard. Cool until lukewarm. Add eggs. Add yeast and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead well and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a cloth and let rise about 1 ½ hours. Roll ¼ in thick on a
floured board. Place on a cloth and let rise until doubled in size and fry in hot fat.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's that time of year that you should be able to get faschnauts commercially, i.e. at the grocery store or local bakery. I grew up in Berks County and most any local grocery store had them starting in early February. There was a bakery in my hometown that had them year round. The same bakery was the only place you could get a molasses based wet bottom shoofly pie ;-)

If you buy them fresh and ship them overnight you can get them there in good shape. Be sure to pack a bottle of blackstrap molasses with them so they can get the full experience!

·
Registered
872 Posts
are you speaking american? I b lost.when I fastenuts there on my car or bike.donut what yuor talking about.but sounds very fatning, must be great !!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fashnachts are Penn Dutch donut traditional made on Fat tuesday to use up the Lard and Sugar so you would not be tempted to use them during Lent.
I lived in Lancaster PA But now liveing in the Blue Ridge Moutains of Va my local stores do not carry them.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like a road trip to me. :-D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
:006::006::035::035::homer::homer:Mmmmmm Doughnuts....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts