Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas gauge is faulty and inconsistent when indicating amount of available fuel in tank. Does the fuel sending unit need to be replaced? If so how do you replace it?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Nogotta Ranch.

If you need to replace the sender, there's an access panel under the floor lining (images below). But as Mike suggests, more info is needed. Was the gauge always inaccurate, or has it changed?

Xequar's observations about the stock Element fuel gauge below. I have driven until the gauge was a needle's width below "E" and not run dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how long the problem has existed. The vehicle was purchased a couple of weeks ago. It has approx. 62k and is real clean. The inaccuracy is a significant amount, as in within a 100 miles it is indicating a half of tank. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Sounds like you don't yet have enough data to make a determination. Run it from topped (first click) to precisely half, and record how many gallons it takes to top off (same pump if possible) again. Given that the Element's tank holds about 16 gallons, and taking into account a generous reserve, I'd guess it should take about 7 gallons.

Meanwhile, calculating your mpg (averaged over several tanks) should give you an idea of how many miles to expect from a half tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gas guage is not remotely close to accurate. I filled the vehicle up to one click the gas guage never read past 3/4 of a tank. I do not drive this vehicle so I'm trying to trouble shoot it from a distance. I can tell you that the gas guage is obviously faulty. Back to the question of does the fuel sending unit need to be replaced?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003, 2wd, fuel gage, engine dies.

I noticed the other day after filling up when almost empty that she only took 7 gallons. When I got in and started her up the gas gage only said about 3/4 full.

Now today my girlfriend was driving somewhere, 60 w/cruise on, engine dies and gage says empty.

Calls AAA, they put in 2 gallons and it says full again. They tell her to prime it a few times, (key on but not to start) and then it takes off with no problems.

Still dont trust the gage though and even though the problem went away, I doubt it went away.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome to the club and most likely the sender in the tank is bad. For now fill it up until the nozzle clicks off and it should be over 13 gallons and if the sender is bad there is a cover for it behind the drivers seat and the floor mat will have to be pulled up to get to it. I think the whole pump and sender unit has to be replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is there any way to adjust the needle?

The fuel level warning light came on on my car this morning when it appeared to have 1/4 of a tank left, and after filling the needle is almost 1/4 of a tank above the "F" mark.

I managed to get 12+ gallons into the tank (I'll check the receipt when I get home and update) so the warning light seems to be accurate, and the needle just needs to be adjusted...

This is a new dash cluster (been in the car about 2 weeks) that the dealer replaced before I bought the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts