Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally caved into the trend and ordered myself an HID kit a few weeks ago. Purchased it online from www.vvme.com and chose the H4 Bi-Xenon Slim Digital Ballast kit.

This is the exact kit I received today in the mail: http://www.vvme.com/digital-slim-h439003-bixenon-hid-kit-p-128.html?cPath=44_46_35

VVME was very easy to deal with. There was a delay in shipping and they were right on top of it, emailing me to keep me informed. To my surprise, the kit showed up today unannounced and earlier than I anticipated. I had read some negative reviews online about the kits but the wiring for the one I received was VERY thorough and definitely did not look cheap. All connectors have silicone weatherseals and are wrapped in plastic or corrugated loom for protection.

I am sorry that I don't have pics to show right now but I will say one thing...the output of this kit is AWESOME. Hands down this kit beats any lights I have had thus far...even my PIAAs (and coming from a die-hard PIAA customer, that says A LOT). The distribution of the light is very similar to OEM halogen lights and does not have the blinding glare that other kits I've seen appear to have. IMO the 4300K is the best colour output to get. It's a pure white and doesn't have the weird blue hue to it that others do. Plus from what I've read, the 4300K has the best overall light output of the colour levels.

The kit has the dual HID high and low beams (it works off of a solenoid-style system where the bulb moves via a magnet built into the base to switch from high and low beam) and while it doesn't work with the Canadian DRL system (I pulled the DRL fuses so the system would not try to activate and trip the annoying "DRL" indicator on the gauge cluster). For those who have a DRL system and want to disable it safely, simply locate the under-dash fuse box and remove Fuse #3 (10A) and Fuse #12 (7.5A). With the fuses out, the system simply does not operate and will not illuminate the indicator on the gauge cluster. All the lights (parking, low beams, high beams, signals, reverse) function normally. We got done early at work tonight so I installed it at the shop and tested everything out.

I'm going to hide the wiring this weekend so I'll do my best to get some install pics as well as output pics this weekend. We're getting dusted right now with snow and the output on the snow is awesome. The high beams work beautifully and stretch very far. Paired with my PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H3 bulbs in the OEM fog lamps, there's not too much I won't be able to see on the road now :-D

P.S. Cost was less than $110 shipped to my door. Came via DHL so there were no duty or taxes extra I had to pay when it came. Had it shipped to my work and they dropped it off this morning with the receptionist and left. Easy as pie :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That is the same kit I originally installed and yes they are very well built. I have since installed the projector kit as a lot of owners have done but the cutoff is abrupt and not that good for the hilly area where I live so I am thinking about going back to what you have now. I installed the ballasts under the plastic cover above the radiator in the cool flow of the air and ran the wiring loom with the regular loom and it looks great. I have heard both good and bad about these kits and so far the quality is holding up great and I have had this kit in for almost a year with no problems.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the same kit I originally installed and yes they are very well built. I have since installed the projector kit as a lot of owners have done but the cutoff is abrupt and not that good for the hilly area where I live so I am thinking about going back to what you have now. I installed the ballasts under the plastic cover above the radiator in the cool flow of the air and ran the wiring loom with the regular loom and it looks great. I have heard both good and bad about these kits and so far the quality is holding up great and I have had this kit in for almost a year with no problems.
I too heard both good and bad reviews on the kits (apparently, guys on Audi forums just love the VVME kits) and was kind of skeptical about it, to the point where I asked my friend at work who initially recommended the kit to me (it's what he uses on his cars) if he wanted to buy it from me when it arrived at work since he has a 2002 Odyssey which uses H4 bulbs.

Then they came in yesterday so I started installing them on my supper break at work. Since it was slow after supper with only three jobs coming in for three techs :roll:, I clocked out early and finished installing them temporarily. I honestly could not wipe the smile of my face. They are brighter than my PIAA bulbs but they don't have that annoying glare like a lot of the other HID kits I see installed in town. I can't say that any of the other VVME kits will be the same, but the Bi-Xenon H4 kits have the two=piece bulb and shield setup which I think is the reason why it looks good.

Now the longevity test begins... :-D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. I am going to do the wiring tuck-and-hide tonight on them and being the OCD freak I am, the bumper is coming off for better access (I love having a hoist to use at my leisure :-D). Thus I will remove a headlight to get better pics for all of you to show how the two-piece bulb installs into it.

I think the shield of the 2-pc Bi-Xenon bulb is the key to the no-glare effect of the kit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Post some pics!! I've been using my PIAA super plasma-gtx's for the 1 1/2 years and their still running strong....but i do want to replace the bulbs soon, and i'm really considering these.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How are you'r HID's working out? I have been thinking about doing the same thing but was told if I dont get the progector housing I "Will blind on comming traffic. So haw are they working so far and how's (as they say) the cut off?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Post some pics!! I've been using my PIAA super plasma-gtx's for the 1 1/2 years and their still running strong....but i do want to replace the bulbs soon, and i'm really considering these.
I love PIAA too and I have the Plasma Ion Yellow H3s in my OEM fog lights and they kick some serious ass. But as much as I love PIAA's bulbs, the ones I've had are no match for the H4 Bi-Xenon kit I have now.

How are you'r HID's working out? I have been thinking about doing the same thing but was told if I dont get the progector housing I "Will blind on comming traffic. So haw are they working so far and how's (as they say) the cut off?
This kit is the one to get if you want a PROPER retro-fit. It's not blinding at all and it has the proper high-beam operation (the bulb moves via a built-in solenoid). The bulb assembly is two-piece and uses a casper shield which I'm going to assume is what eliminates the insane glare so common to other kits. This one looks to be the best designed and though-out of the ones I've seen so far. Plus I like how the high-beams operate similar to how the Acura TL ones do (I believe the TL units have the shield which moves out of the way whereas the VVME kit has the bulb move within the shield).

I drove around last night in the country to test them out and not one single oncoming car flashed me. I even parked the Element in the driveway and walked out into the road to see and they're fine IMO.

I went to the gym tonight after work and came home to shovel the drive (we're getting snowed on right now) so the pic taking will be postponed to tomorrow. I'm heading into work to clean up the install and hide the wiring and components tomorrow I'll charge up my digi cam battery tonight and get lots of good pics to post up. I'll even remove a headlight so I can show close-ups of how it installs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank's for the info, im looking forword to seeing the pic's.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just about to head out the door to the shop.

Camera? Check. Charger? Check. Mad skillz y0?!?!? Always in check :lol:

Will post the pics up tonight or tomorrow :035:.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I finished the clean-up for my HID kit. It's nice and tucked out of the way, but still lots of access to change bulbs when the day comes...which is hopefully not for the next year or two at least LOL. Heaven forbid if the ballasts or igniters go for a poop, the bumper will regrettably have to come off since I hid them well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Link to the short vid I shot tonight with some friends showing the warm-up and colour as well as low- and high-beam operation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-3nNlJk5o

The image attachment feature doesn't allow me to add captions above each one or organize them on top of one another so I removed the attachements and added the pics to my Flickr account. Here's the link to my album on Flickr:

MY ELEMENT'S 4300K H4 BI-XENON HID KIT INSTALL

I'll edit the album on Flickr with descriptions and how-to's for anyone who would like them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look's good, Did you need to remove the front nose to do the install or was that your preference?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my preference. I installed the kit temporarily on Thursday night after work by simply tucking everything into the corner of each headlight in the engine bay, ensuring no wiring could contact the engine or moving components.

I just wanted to mount the ballasts and igniters semi-permanently and tuck them out of the way to protect them as well as keep the engine bay de-cluttered by running the wiring harness along the existing OEM engine harness for a clean look. Having the headlights out definitely made things A LOT easier and gave me more options to which I could mount things to. However, again I had my hoist and a nice warm shop to use so for others it might not be ideal to go to the lengths I did.

I also used a few spare Honda Optional body kits parts I saved from work from kits we sent back for warranty so not everyone will have the items at their disposal I do.

All in all, it's a very straightforward kit to install and so long as you ensure all connections are good, all wiring is properly protected from the elements (pun intended LOL) and moving/hot components, you should be fine.

Overall I was very impressed with the kit and it's components and IMO I would recommend to anyone with H4 headlights to get the Bi-Xenon kit with the digital slim ballasts.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That was the same units I installed first and really liked it. The bulbs come out with a twist for quick replacement but have fun one time and pull out one and turn it on. Very bright and great for working under the hood at night.:grin:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well my SilverStars finally burned out and I'm sick of replacing them every 8-10 months. Seems the SilverStars burn so hot that it shortens the life of the bulb because I never get more than 10 months out of them.

Took the plunge and ordered the VVME kit today. Figure for $90 shipped if I really don't ever have to replace another bulb they will pay for themselves in about three years. Plus the 4300k bulbs will look a lot nicer next to the high-output LED DRL's I installed in the top grill :grin:

I'm not a Honda tech, nor do I have a shop at my disposal so when the kit shows up I'll document the install for all the shadetree mechanics who have been thinking about the conversion. Should be about a week for the kit to arrive and it will be a few days after that until I get time to install them so check back in about two weeks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha sorry if I made the install look tough guys.

In all honesty, it can easily be done in any garage or driveway on a nice day. The bumper can be removed without the use of a shop as I helped Bernie (a.k.a. hapyface) work on his Element this past Friday and it was easy to take it off. All the clips and such can be accessed with the Element on the ground and the headlights are easy to remove once the bumper is off.

A shop is just nicer because there's no crawling around on the ground and air tools make for faster work, but don't let me scare you into thinking it's impossible to do without one :-D.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Haha sorry if I made the install look tough guys.

In all honesty, it can easily be done in any garage or driveway on a nice day. The bumper can be removed without the use of a shop as I helped Bernie (a.k.a. hapyface) work on his Element this past Friday and it was easy to take it off. All the clips and such can be accessed with the Element on the ground and the headlights are easy to remove once the bumper is off.

A shop is just nicer because there's no crawling around on the ground and air tools make for faster work, but don't let me scare you into thinking it's impossible to do without one :-D.
I wasn't implying you made it look tough. I was implying that my install will give folks a peek at what the kit would look like if the install was done half-assed and without regard for aesthetics :razz:

To that point, do you think I could do the install without removing the bumper and headlights? I'm just anticipating my wife coming outside and seeing my bumper laying in the grass and freaking out that I'm taking my entire car apart AGAIN.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't implying you made it look tough. I was implying that my install will give folks a peek at what the kit would look like if the install was done half-assed and without regard for aesthetics :razz:

To that point, do you think I could do the install without removing the bumper and headlights? I'm just anticipating my wife coming outside and seeing my bumper laying in the grass and freaking out that I'm taking my entire car apart AGAIN.
Yes by all means it can be installed without removingthe bumper or headlights but doing it through the top of the engine bay doesn't give you near the opporunities to tuck stuff out of the way.

I installed mine temporarily without taking anything apart and it was fine for a weekend until I had a night where my daughter wasn't with me and I could mount everything semi-permanently.

LOL I'm just ultra picky and I probably engage in more vehicular modification overkill than most normal people :razz:.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And that's one reason why I love being a tech, as it's not uncommon for my significant other to see me working in, around and/or on a vehicle all the time :)

1 - 20 of 205 Posts