Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...a couple months earlier than I expected as my Touareg lease isn't up for two more months, but as hard as elements are to find, I had to snatch the model up that I wanted.

2010 Polished Metal Metallic EX 4WD AT w/Nav.

Dog package, fog lights and security system will be installed this wednesday. Still trying to decide on which roof rack.

Not too hot on the lighter interior, compared to my dad's 06, but we'll see how it holds up to surfing, skiing, hiking, camping, biking and a 45lb siberian husky. I have owned black leather interiors for the past 10 years or so. Will be interesting trying to keep this light tan color clean based on everything I do.

Interesting that Honda went back to plastic for the EX on the door handles as they used to be painted in the past. Probably a good thing as the plastic is more durable.

See the small hole next to the nav microphone. It's a little blue LED that lights up the cabin like all the german cars I've owned in the past did (in red).

I will kind of miss having a sunroof up front, but the element is roomy enough and lets a lot of light in that it isn't too noticeable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Comparisons to my 07 Touareg:
1. Definitely not the same "tank" feeling that the Touareg has. But then again, the Touareg was almost double the price.

2. The halogen headlights are actually quite good in comparison to the AFS xenons I had in the Touareg (which are supposed to be top notch). I was pleasantly surprised by the quality/output of the headlights when I had to drive home from the dealer after purchase on about 20 miles of dark roads. The fogs will even help more, I assume.

3. Love the shape/look of the element. I know a lot of people hate it, but not me. Elements just stand out and look so great, especially the 09 enhancements, I know, many feel it was a step in the wrong direction, but I love the 09+ look. I hope honda doesn't ruin the look by changing the gen2 too much.

4. The four banger is, I guess you'd say "good enough", it doesn't have that "punch" when you need at higher speeds it I've noticed. Although it is great around town at speeds under 40mph. But my last three cars were V6s (one of them being a twin turbo), so I grew accustomed to having power when you needed it.

5. I really enjoy the ipod integration with the nav interface, the main reason I went with the nav. Being able to browse my ipod was critical. The backup camera is a nice touch too. I am sure there are better and cheaper 3rd party options for nav (pioneer, etc), but I didn't want to hassle with that.

6. Road noise. I am actually really impressed with how quiet the 2010 is. Maybe it's the lack of sunroof or honda refinement, but it's pretty much as quiet as my Touareg on the road.

7. Steering. The steering doesn't feel as confident as my Touareg. It's heavy at low speeds and kind of loose at high speeds. Again, I chalk that up to german engineering (and unreliability, the main reason I purchased an element. Go check the Touareg forums if you think people have issues here.).

I talked my dad into an Element back in 06 and now I finally got one. What goes around comes around. I'll post more picts after I get all the options installed.

So now which rack? Yakima or factory?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good Luck, safe driving and welcome to da club....:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome & congrats on your new E. Sweet color, I wish that color was available up here. I miss our VW's, my wife & I owned three of them, Jetta TDI, Beetle 2.0 (wife's) and Rabbit 2.5. Never had any issues with them whatsoever, I guess we were the lucky ones. :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
What does that light do?

I have the same overhead led Yellow light beside the Nav mic and homelink buttons in the Odyssey we just picked up and have no idea what it is for.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What does that light do?

I have the same overhead led Yellow light beside the Nav mic and homelink buttons in the Odyssey we just picked up and have no idea what it is for.
It's just an Accent Light, nothing more. It barely lights up the cup holder area at night.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that my father's 06 has more durable seats, kind of a rubber coating on specific areas of the seats that my 10 doesn't have. Surprised that Honda would make the interior less "wear and tear" friendly with a lighter interior and less durable fabrics.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
It seems that my father's 06 has more durable seats, kind of a rubber coating on specific areas of the seats that my 10 doesn't have. Surprised that Honda would make the interior less "wear and tear" friendly with a lighter interior and less durable fabrics.
If you go read the interior section, there are alot of complaints about those seats eventually cracking from normal use on the rubber/whatever it is areas.

I am dissapointed with the choices for interior colour as well. I'd like a black or polished metal Element, but to get that colour outside, I have to have the light colour inside. Thinking I will go with Tango Red Pearl. Like that colour well enough for outside and it comes with a black interior.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you like the dog friendly package. Also i thought the package came with emblems for the outside?
I don't have it yet. It will be installed on Wednesday along with fog lights and security system.

What does everyone use for rock chip protection? The clear bra or the hood air deflector (my dad has this on his 06 and likes it, not sure I like it though).

Also, do the 09+ models still need the "lower grill mod" to protect the radiator? If so, what's the best option?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The "rubbery" fabric had issues with cracking as it aged so they switched to the current stuff. It's still quite waterproof and easy to clean, I can fully attest to that.

BTW welcome to the asylum :grin:
thanks for the information, looks like I have some history to catch up on since the element has been around for quite a while.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Post new pics, when the Dog Friendly package is installed.

I think the '10 has the same issue with potential rock damage to the air conditioning/radiator area. There is a lot on the forum about how to and the best way to cover this. Someone will send you the forum link. It is the first mod almost everyone does.

I wonder if doing that mod cover really matters??? Has anyone ever posted that they had a rock or any other damage to that area? It seems reasonable to do, but maybe it is not really needed.
(?)

Oh yea .... Shabbis, fill in your profile. Thanks

DAD '06

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got everything else installed today (dog package, security system and fog lights). I'll post pictures once the lighting is favorable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.