Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that want to lower your E do it!! And do it yourself!! With the help of InsaneSC I was able to be comfortable enough to do it myself and I love it! All together it took me about 5 hours with basic hand tools. the best piece of equipment I used was a 4 ft breaker bar that you will def need if you are not using an impact tool. I used the Sprint springs because i got an awesome deal on a display set so I saved a few bucks there. Now I need some 20's!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to get it alligned and they told me to come back in 4 to 6 weeks while the springs settle. No problems yet lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
looks good and glad to hear you had no problems.:D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Glad too see it all done, it looks great bud, sorry I missed your last pm the other day, my phone was off most of the day, was in a improvement meeting.
Cant wait to see it with 20's !!!

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I ran with Eibach springs on mine for a couple of years before I switched to coil overs and I never had any problems at all. I was running the 18" SC wheels and 235X55X18" tires, and it was perfect set up.

Chief

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran with Eibach springs on mine for a couple of years before I switched to coil overs and I never had any problems at all. I was running the 18" SC wheels and 235X55X18" tires, and it was perfect set up.

Chief

I love the SC wheels on our color Element! Your E is actually my favorite on the forum lol!! I showed my gf a pic of yours and said thats it!! Thats how I want mine to look!!! Of course I have to put my own twist on it but I love it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question: I'm thinking about lowering my E as well. You did an amazing job btw! Did you install lowering struts as well or just the springs. How important is it to add lowering struts, whats a good brand? Maybe you guys can help me.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Lowering Springs are shorter than the stock springs that you currently have on your Element. So when you install them, they are naturally going to bring down the height of your vehicle. You maintain the the same OEM shocks and struts.

The down side of springs is that the shocks and struts are now condensed and your allowed travel in the shock is only operating at about 80% of capacity. The shock is still compressing, but it no longer opens up all the way. This leads to premature wear, so springs are actually effective for about 2 years, or around 40K miles.

I had Eibach Lowering Springs on my car for a couple of years with absolutely no problems at all, then I switched over to the Tein Basic Coil Overs. You can also buy the K-Sport Coil Overs for the Element now. But Springs are still the cheapest way to lower your ride until you can get coil overs, which come with their own shocks and springs.

Eibachs lower you 1.7" in the front, and 1.7" in the rear. When they settle (within the first 90 days) I wound up around 1.9" in the rear, and almost 2" in the front. For a bigger drop, then you can go with the Tein Lowering Springs, H&R's, and a few other brands.

No matter what brand you choose, make sure you install a rear camber kit (for alignment) and front camber bolts.

Hope that helps!

Chief

·
Registered
99 Posts
^ nice write up.. whats the drop for those sprint springs? whats the most aggressive lowering springs out there for a E? i love lowered cars, makes ur whip stand out 100x's better

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Start saving for struts. Either coilovers or replacement struts. I priced getting new OEM struts and it was about $1k installed. Not worth 2" unless you're gonna do it right with coilovers.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Start saving for struts. Either coilovers or replacement struts. I priced getting new OEM struts and it was about $1k installed. Not worth 2" unless you're gonna do it right with coilovers.
As I mentioned, it's a temporary way to go, but it gives you a couple of years to save up for your Coil Overs. By the time you wear out the struts, the cost for new ones and Coil Overs are about the same! That's why I went springs first and then coil overs later. If you have the money up front, then by all means buy the coil overs.

@JPhan...you have to go on each lowering springs web site and see exactly how much of a drop that their springs provide and do a comparison chart. Don't forget that they will all settle a little more in the first few months of operation.

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
how important is the rear camber kit??? where can i buy one ??
It's extremely important if you don't wish to totally wear out the insides of your rear tires. When you lower a vehicle the camber on the rear wheels toe out and you wind up with just th bottom insides of the tires making ground contact. I use the Eibach Alignment Kit for the rear ($150) and can be purchased on line, or from an aftermarket tuner shop.

As you can see, even runnung 20X9.5" wheels, they are still straight, and not cambered out...

Chief

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Nice drop Sonofevil77. Looks good. Yeah, throw some 20's on that badboy and you'll be looking allright! Magnesium Metallic has always been one of my favorite colors.

sorry for the hi-jack:
Yeah, what Chief said...

Basically it will allow to adjust the angle of your rim as you lower your car. It's a worthwhile purchase because it will save you lots of money on new tires. Or if you want to go really low and you need to camber your wheels in to tuck the rim inside your fender, a camber kit will allow you to do this. See example below:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
if you are going to do coilovers then get them for both front and rear, but just getting springs you wont need them. I got both for my truck and set the rear arms up to be the exact same length as my stocks just so i had a "baseline" on how much it needed to be adjusted when i took it to get the alignment done. didnt need to be touched in the back and they didnt even have to put the camber bolts in the front. if ti werent such a pain id take the rears out and sell them on here :roll:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts