·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while watching Stargate SG-1 on SciFi.

I saw two of them in fact.

The camping/biking guys with the one guy who gets pantsed

and

The Surfer ad, with the frisbee tossing through the open side doors.

Both of them were funny but I thought that even in the genre of advertising that they were aiming for, it didn't truly show off the car that much. It was more about the lifestyle. I don't know why Honda is so shy about showing that people *outside* the Surfer Dude lifestyle can love the E. What, do they think we have cooties or something?

Further funniness: My guest saw the 2 Honda Element ads with me, then later, during a commercial break, went in the kitchen to get a snack, and returned to see an ad with...

...a guy sitting on a toilet that's on a skateboard :lol: :lol: :lol:

followed by more quick-takes of skateboard sort of goofiness.

So my guest said, "Is this another Honda Element ad?"

No, it wasn't, but the guy on a toilet on a skateboard cracked me UP.

So I haven't been terribly active lately because I have just been butt-busting busy. I've been in and out of town, doing political stuff, and, God, where did my summer go?!?! - I have to Register for School again on Monday. (See Kim. See Kim write tuition check. See Kim groan.) I hope you're all well and enjoying your E, or enjoying E shopping, or just enjoying.

Hugs to you from Lucy and me!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Kim. See Kim write tuition check. See Kim groan
IMO we are headed towards disaster with tuition increases (my daughter is in college). Either kids will not be able to afford it at all or they will be saddled with so much debt that it crushes the economy. Maryland just increased their tuition tremendously - even public education is quickly headed out of reach for the middle class.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know that GROAN!

Grant (my husband) starts class this week, he just finished summer session last week....and while it is not horrific, since he is getting his MBA at a state school and we are residents, but still writing a check for $4,000 followed by another one for $650 for books, then we have class fees for teaching materials....well you all know the drill.

All I can think of is that next semester is the last....yeah!!!! And while we are very fortunate that we are not incurring any debt, and since we have already paid off undergrad, we are pretty gosh darn fortunate 28 year olds, I honestly don't know how kids can handle starting off with $100,000 in debt right out of college or gard school...talk about swimming against the current!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your 'guest', eh, Kim? :lol:

Yep, NPR did a story the other day on tuition increases. I guess seven out of ten students now get f-aid. That is tough. But I think colleges cannot survive on the rich alone; sooner or later they'll have to fee down to get butts in seats. A shame so many kids meantime will miss out on education and the socialization that goes with it.

Good luck with all those bills, everyone. May they disappear quickly!
Steve

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guestS actually were age 19 and 15, my teenage boy neighbors who treat me like I'm their funky cool old aunty.

They don't have cable. I get the SciFi channel. Thus we spend some quality time together in front of the telly watching Stargate SG-1 and The X-Files, while they clean my house out of snackable food, soda, and milk.

They are really good kids. I love them to bits. They've given me some idea of what it would be like to have been a parent. The older one's at Annapolis in the Naval Academy. The younger one wants to get a football scholarship somewhere, but I think his better sport is actually swimming.

The younger one digs my Element. The older one says it is not quite his thing. Most diplomatic of him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts