Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The BMW community is raving about this manufacturer of HID plug and play lights. Will these plug and play on the Element? Only $50.
What manufacturer, and what lights?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The link the Bummer forum posted is this one.
Only for the BMW. I Went to the Element page for you!

This is the Kit in question,

Dom

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Not a fan of these supposed "plug 'n' play" kits. If all you're doing is buying some cheapie bulbs and ballasts and wiring them into your factory harness I can guarantee you that you'll be on the hitlist of everybody that comes towards you on the road. These things are crap and a danger to oncoming motorists.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Not a fan of these supposed "plug 'n' play" kits. If all you're doing is buying some cheapie bulbs and ballasts and wiring them into your factory harness I can guarantee you that you'll be on the hitlist of everybody that comes towards you on the road. These things are crap and a danger to oncoming motorists.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm

It's all true! I have yet to see a Hid kit installed on an Element that was worth the time and Effort to ME !

I find the light pattern to be far less than exceptional. In fact it is usually poor to just barely usable. The fact is if you browse this forum you will see Photo's of conversions. You can judge for yourself.

The Photo's I have seen look much better than the lights look while driving on the street in my experience.

The factory installed systems will perform up to your expectations. They were designed from the ground up that way. Not some cheaply made retrofit kit.

Dom

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's all true! I have yet to see a Hid kit installed on an Element that was worth the time and Effort to ME !
A few on here have done it properly with projector retrofits.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
A few on here have done it properly with projector retrofits.

The fact remains, I have Yet to see one in person, that was impressive. All the E's I have seen with them installed, were just OK. Not up to the standards of the factory setup's

Dom

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The fact remains, I have Yet to see one in person, that was impressive. All the E's I have seen with them installed, were just OK. Not up to the standards of the factory setup's

Dom
Are you refering to vehicles that have retros from another vehicle,or those Ebay retro's people were doing?:? Usually properly done H.I.D. retro fits perform just as good as the vehicle they had originally came from.:)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Are you refering to vehicles that have retros from another vehicle,or those Ebay retro's people were doing?:? Usually properly done H.I.D. retro fits perform just as good as the vehicle they had originally came from.:)

The Ebay Jobs. Although, I have seen a set transplanted from a BMW into an E. Still not doing what it should do. It may be the way the graft was done into the E's reflector housing. Still not impressive. The lights on the BMW they came from were OUTSTANDING ! ( I'm not talking the Bling effect here, I'm talking about usable light from a drivers prospective.)

Dom

·
Registered
349 Posts

Dom
huh what did they lack vs. an OEM setup?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Dom

I dont know what forum you've been going on but I've seen some pretty sick set ups and I hate the light my stock ones put out. Aztecs, Rymos..... Beastly.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
> It's all true! I have yet to see a Hid kit installed on an Element that was worth the time and Effort...

Truthfully? I think cheap aftermarket HID has become a self-solving problem. It's junk with very poor durability. It may look cool right after the installation is done, but the kids who put this crap in their hoopties eventually realize that every two years (or less) they have to fix something. Eventually the game isn't any fun any more and costs too much, or they can't get parts, and the stock bulbs go back in. Or...

...they live in California and got their 2nd or 3rd lights "fix-it" ticket since the CHP is cracking down hard on lights mods.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
I think that "raving" is an appropriate description.

You'll never see a street legal SAE/DOT certified aftermarket replacement for a vehicle primary lighting component that isn't identical to the original component type, because that's what the Federal regulations (and many states) require.

If you want to take a chance using replacement light components not certified for your vehicle, at a mimimum they should have visible SAE/DOT certification numbers. Lacking these, not only will they'll most likely be junk, you may be ticketed, and have to restore the original components and bring the vehicle in for inspection to avoid a fine of several hundred dollars.

My advice to anyone who has difficulty seeing when they drive at night is to have an eye examination by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). Poor night vision is a symptom of vitamin deficiencies, diabetes and possible macular degeneration, not inadequate OEM lighting.

·
Registered
349 Posts
> It's all true! I have yet to see a Hid kit installed on an Element that was worth the time and Effort...
If your gonna cheep out and just install a pnp kit then I agree.

However regardless of the car it all comes down to doing it properly with a projector retrofit.

Nobody can argue that the OEM Halogen setup is better then any retrofit. Even the Ebay Bixenon projectors.

I have TSX preojectors on my Prelude and Ebay projectors on the Element. In both cases they are much better then what the cars came with.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I also installed both types. Switched from one to the other projector type and in my case they are NOT better then the stock setup. Yes you have a more uniform light but the cutoff is to abrupt and what you see is better the oncoming vehicles see that as well and get blinded. I have set mine down to not blind oncoming vehicles and so far its been good. Time will tell on the quality of the units.

·
Registered
528 Posts
While I agree with the cheap aftermarket kits as garbage, the DDM kits are the best of the bunch in my opinion. I have a set of these in my SC projectors and they are great, no problems and they offer a good warranty. Don't be fooled at the price, when these first came out they were almost $200 for the DDM kits. I have a friend who has a high end customization shop and body shop and they use these kits. (free plug... www.e-autowerks.com). There only drawback is that if you don't have a good projector setup there is a lot of light scatter (no kit without a projector can fix that)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You'll never see a street legal SAE/DOT certified aftermarket replacement for a vehicle primary lighting component that isn't identical to the original component type, because that's what the Federal regulations (and many states) require.
If I recall I think at one time there was a kit that actually was certified.:?
http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=211
^^The Osram & Valeo Sylvania Xenarc
x2020 which I'm pretty sure was only offered for a few vehicles.(Actually in the looks department,since it's still a reflector housing,it does look kinda similar to the stock lenses.):|
My advice to anyone who has difficulty seeing when they drive at night is to have an eye examination by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). Poor night vision is a symptom of vitamin deficiencies, diabetes and possible macular degeneration, not inadequate OEM lighting.
Oh I would definitely agree with that,it just seems that there's quite the growing demand from those who don't actually have trouble with their night time vision,but just want increased performance out of their vehicles lighting systems...that's all:) Personally I feel as long as you go about it the right way and your lights do not create a safety hazard to other motorists,I don't think there's much of a problem with one who properly goes about upgrading their vehicles lighting system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts