Honda Element Owners Club banner

Do You have a Fire Extinguisher in Your Element

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the possibility of a fire from a faulty oil change, where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher?

I read some place that extinguishers are required in Japan, and that the cubby in the tailgate of the CRV (1st gen) was designed for that (that may be more speculation than fact). The RAV4 also has nice closed side panel storage bins that will take a small extinguisher along with other tools.

On my recent Canada drive I saw an extinguisher in use. A pickup with slide-in camper pulled into a rest stop at the bottom of The Hill on the Bella Coola road with fire in his right front wheel, due to brake overheating. I did smell my brakes on another long steep road, but there was no smoke or flame.

paulj

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
In light of the possibility of a fire from a faulty oil change, where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher?

I read some place that extinguishers are required in Japan, and that the cubby in the tailgate of the CRV (1st gen) was designed for that (that may be more speculation than fact). The RAV4 also has nice closed side panel storage bins that will take a small extinguisher along with other tools.

On my recent Canada drive I saw an extinguisher in use. A pickup with slide-in camper pulled into a rest stop at the bottom of The Hill on the Bella Coola road with fire in his right front wheel, due to brake overheating. I did smell my brakes on another long steep road, but there was no smoke or flame.

paulj
do the ricer thing and mount one on your a-pillar. ;)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Aren't the cutouts - ostensibly counted as "cup holders" - in the back door pockets just about the right size for a 5B/C extinguisher?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The backdoors were exactly the place I considered storing an extinguisher if I were to get one.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I thought of the same location myself but don't know that a fire extinguisher would fit there. I find it about the right size for a large bottle of water. That is what I figured they were configured for. I keep a can of Deep Woods Off and a Maglight flashlight in the bin behind the driver seat. Like I said, can't imagine a fire extinguisher fitting there.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
One should fit. Like Shen mentioned some folks in the tuner crowd will mount an extinguisher to the A-pillar of their Civics, Neons, Celicas etc.
Most of these exinguishers are usually smaller than even a water bottle.
It's a good saftey device to have but in most cases they're bought to be ornamental and for that reason some companies play on that and make decorative flashy fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
One should fit. Like Shen mentioned some folks in the tuner crowd will mount an extinguisher to the A-pillar of their Civics, Neons, Celicas etc.
Most of these exinguishers are usually smaller than even a water bottle.
It's a good saftey device to have but in most cases they're bought to be ornamental and for that reason some companies play on that and make decorative flashy fire extinguishers.
they're usually chrome and cost upwards of $50 each:

http://shop.autoi.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/1147

although i did see one being used during a street race back in 2000.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The small 2.5 lb BC (kiddie compact?) that I've been keeping in my other car has the right diameter to fit in the bottle holders, but is too tall for the rear doors.

This must be the smaller diameter, but taller version of the 5BC.

paulj

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice pic, Mike...but I must tell you....If I see a flame approaching, I won't be thinking ..."Now , where did I stash that extinguisher? I must save this car." I'm outta there!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Moving quickly can save the car, Pat. A zillion years ago I had just changed a fuel filter, and started the car to discover that the new filter had a hole in it, spraying gasoline all over the engine. I was able to stop the engine before it ignited, but once stopped it caught fire. I had enough time to run into the house, grab a bag of flour and return to smother the flames.

All that was damaged was the filter (obviously) and the spark plug wires, and a little sooted spot on the paint under the hood. It was back on the road in about 45 minutes, including the trip to the parts store. Car smelled like a bakery for a while, however.

$20 damage vs. totalling the car (and the garage!), just by taking control quickly... I'll take that any day.

8)

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
Well I read this thread earlier today and instantly thought about the back door pockets and while outside today I tried to put my small BC extinguisher there to snap a pic but it wouldnt fit. So I just got around to posting it and find out MIKE had to go do it. Jeeesh I guess now since hes a moderator he can get away with those types of things LOL :lol:.

Well then I read this response by echo "Nice pic, Mike...but I must tell you....If I see a flame approaching, I won't be thinking ..."Now , where did I stash that extinguisher?" and that really got me thinking so here a few options.

1. The cup holder

2. If your REALLY worried about finding it.

I may try that tomorrow just to see if Dea will be willing to ride in the backseat LOL.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Two things to consider:

1) The extinguisher must be placed so as not to become a projectile in a crash. This probably rules out cupholders.

2) Visibility and ready access. This argues against rear door pockets.

The A pillar fits both criteria, but replacing the tweeters taught me that the plastic A-pillar cover is a very weak attachment point.

My solution was to mount a kitchen-style (long neck) 5B:C extinguisher on the passenger's side dash (see http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/accessories.htm#aftermarket).

I keep another, slightly larger unit in the far-rear, driver's side storage pocket, secured by a "breakaway" zip tie (kinda looks like a lamp chain) and tucked behind a highly padded Mag light. Reasonably resistant to displacement under rapid deceleration, but not very handy, so for backup purposes only.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine sits under the rear seat on the driver's side. It's in a clear plastic box with some other stuff that can be easily accessed from the rear.

I am much more concered about fires that might occur at a campsite, or when we operate our gas powered R/C model airplanes. If the car were to catch fire for some reason while driving my first response would be to get everybody out, stand clear, and let 'er burn.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BriBoy01's extinguisher is like mine, skinnier and taller than Mike's.

For one that fits, the rear door pocket seems close to ideal - secure, visible, without being in the way. I have used that pocket for a spare water bottle, but I'm sure I can find an alternative. It would be easy enough to get at that side door pocket if the car is stopped and the driver can open his door. One mounted on the dash would be superior only in the case where the front passenger could get at the fire while the car is still moving.

In some crashes the dash location could be better, especially if the doors are jammed shut. Howver an extinguisher on the dash might not be all that accessible if the deflated air bag is draped over it. An evacuation tool (glass breaker) might be a more valuable thing to have close at hand in a crash.

I also suspect that in crashes, extinguishers are used more by 'first responders' (profesional or not), rather than by the victims themselves.

In the case of the brake fire that I mentioned earlier, the driver had time to get a extinguisher out of the back of the camper. He had to spray it several times before the flames disappeared. I wonder in that case whether water would have been a better or worse means of extinguishing the fire. It might have done more to cool the hot wheel and brakes, but too rapid cooling might also produce cracking.

paulj

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm with ePOD...

I have questions though...Isn't that extinguisher under pressure? Could it explode? Say, from being in a hot car awhile??? I am no chemist...just wondering?

Let's hope the oil-change problem can be solved...

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Could it explode? Say, from being in a hot car awhile?

No, not if it's certified for vehicular use, and practically every commercially-available B:C or A:B:C extinguisher is certified. If it's a "classic" thick-metal extinguisher bottle (all of the ones shown here so far are), it's designed to take the pressure of storage in a hot vehicle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I really don't know about the last question. I would kind of think that a fire extinguisher has to be designed to take some heat. Especially the heat that would exist from simply being in a hot car on a hot summer afternoon. Thus, I wouldn't be worried about them "exploding".

What did catch my attention though was if you have young children in the back of your car and are going to place the extinguisher in a place like the rear doors, that little hands not be able to fiddle with it. I would think having one go off while driving wouldn't be a very wonderful experience. Therefore, if you do have kids who ride in the back a better location might be in order.

It was interesting to see how some extinguishers are available that would fit in those pockets. Definately something to think about.

As for the CR-V situation and the Element, I find it curious that NO ELEMENTS have been reported to have suffered this situation? I have read a couple of possibilities from the Filters used in Japan, where the CR-V is manufacturered (???) and those used here in the US to some other procedure during manufacture that might be different there as opposed to here. Is it just a matter of time? or is there a reason that SOME CR-Vs have the problem and maybe not Elements. Am anxious for HONDA Engineers to find or report the source and cause of the problem so that we can have some peace of mind. Since the reports are that this is an issue after a first oil change? I am not going to get too worried about it right now. I have only had my Element for a month now and am only at about 1200 miles. I figure I have some time before I get to that point and hopefully they will know a lot more by then.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
An explosion caused by normal car/boat/aircraft heat is unlikely.

As for placement ... the prime virtue of the dash mount is visibility/accessibility to both driver and passenger. Securing the bottle against becoming a deadly missile in a crash is simply a prerequisite.

Just had an argument on this issue with someone who moved into a new apartment. She didn't like looking at a fire extinguisher in her kitchen or living room, and wanted me to mount it very high or in some remote corner—basically to make it invisible. :roll: Of course this misses the point completely: All occupants, not just the owner, must be able to see the thing for it to be useful.

Everyone should carry a well-secured fire extinguisher; an obscure one is still better than none. But really, as another posted noted, in an emergency you should never have to stop and think, "Now where is that extinguisher?"

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
While I respect everyone's opinions as stated above, isn't having a fire extinguisher a bit unnecessary? In 40 years of driving I've never needed one, nor seen a vehicle on fire (but have seen evidence of vehicle fires), but that's just my experience.

It would seem the best course of action if your hood was smoking would be to exit the vehicle ASAP, NOT open the hood, and call the FD then your insurance agent.

Finally, one of the pockets in the back of the E would be the best, safest place for an extinguisher if you wanted to carry one, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts