Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made the decision to become a volunteer for my local FD and after responding to a few calls since then, I have realized the importance of a siren and lights.

I managed to pick up a Code 3 blue rotator which I have in my dashboard for now and here shortly I will be adding a siren, and going from there on upgrading lighting to LEDs or strobes. I'm currently looking into a wig-wag kit for my head/tail lights. I've got my eye on a Whelen brand that a friend of mine is wanting to sell me.

I was basically just wondering if there is anyone else that has an Element that's equipped with emergency equipment? I'm also trying to find a good location (aside from the visor) to clip my radio (or make some kind of bracket). Adding to that... I'm also looking into a more efficent way of storing my gear in the back aside from just tossing it back there.

Ideas, suggestions, comments, pictures?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've seen Elements used as News Vehicles. CTV uses them here in Canada, but I don't think I'd ever see the day when PD would juice one up. I've been in EMS for over 10 years and you know..., the E would make a pretty cool quick response unit. Must write this down. :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I recently made the decision to become a volunteer for my local FD and after responding to a few calls since then, I have realized the importance of a siren and lights.

I managed to pick up a Code 3 blue rotator which I have in my dashboard for now and here shortly I will be adding a siren, and going from there on upgrading lighting to LEDs or strobes. I'm currently looking into a wig-wag kit for my head/tail lights. I've got my eye on a Whelen brand that a friend of mine is wanting to sell me.

I was basically just wondering if there is anyone else that has an Element that's equipped with emergency equipment? I'm also trying to find a good location (aside from the visor) to clip my radio (or make some kind of bracket). Adding to that... I'm also looking into a more efficent way of storing my gear in the back aside from just tossing it back there.

Ideas, suggestions, comments, pictures?
In a past life/profession, I did emergency response work (environmental laboratory on site testing stuff...was fun) and we regularly outfitted our trucks and trailers with lights. Back in those days (mid 90's), it was all about strobes...now it's LEDs.

Strobes are good but a little finicky on power supply and can produce interference on radio's sometimes. And, they go out...which really sucks if they're mounted "hide-a-way" style in headlight and tail light housings. The E would lend itself easily to hide away LED units as well as any bolt on stuff.

I'd go with LEDs which come in all kinds of styles and premounted versions that just bolt on. They're much more efficient at power and usage and much more versatile. Google vehicle emergency lighting and similar phrasing and all kinds of suppliers will come up. Quality LEDs should also provide as much warning as a wig wag headlamp setup.

Sirens: Don't know how much they'll help as I have always thought that when I hear a siren, I only look for traditional emergency vehicles. By the time I figure out it's something else, it's the lights that gave it away and the siren just confused things.

If you need some links to some I looked at for grins, just holler. It was always a hoot to outfit the vehicles...could never resist playing around with them either.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
No VFDs, but have seen three Elements with light bars.

Paul, have you seen the stealth K-9 unit around Troy? Its silver. I am very tempted to pull up next to it someday and strike up a conversation.

To the OP if my boyfriend had anything to do with it we would have lights and sirens on the E. He has lights just laying around that he won't get rid of in hopes to someday put them on the E's roof.

·
Registered
42 Posts

(No info on this one)

Best Cop Car... Ever.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You need a red E.:) It should work great with all the lighting and siren but the wig wags will not work as the headlight system is a grounding type witch means your dimmer switch switches the negetive side of the bulb. Don't know if they make one for that. I did one better and bought my own Fire truck.:D Its a 67 Ford Van pelt type 1 pumper and I mainly use it for fund raisers like the Ruch Burn run and the Quest run ect. Its newer then what I was trained on.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It varies with state to state. Volunteers in some states can run with ether a blue light or green light. Here in California you can not have anything on your POV when responding to the station for a call.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
My toy on the left. We were doing a burn run that day and this was taken from the helicopter landing.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check your states laws regarding lights and sirens. Here in NY we volunteers run blue and chiefs only can run reds & run w/ a siren. Wig wags are not allowed here on any personal vehicles (for good reason if you think about it)Go w/ LED they are bright and draw little power. I just bought a new Whelen LED dash light this past weekend at the NYS chiefs show at the Turning Stone in Verona. I didn't really need it cause I had one-it was a little smaller and I did'nt care much for any particular flash pattern.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats on joining the FD scene. I am a 9 year volunteer firefighter and 4 year career firefighter. I am planning on adding lights to my E. I have a custom made 3' LED light bar that is freaking bright. Let me know what you add if you don't mind.
Travis

PS. Yes check you State laws on POV's having lights. Make sure you have your drivers training class if needed also and of course chiefs permission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also in the volunteer service! I run in WV, near a town called Wheeling. They have a fulltime paid fire department here in Wheeling, but I run for a volunteer company around it's outskirts in a town called Bethlehem. I have a 2004 EX 4WD Element and I'm putting lights and siren on mine too. Here in WV you can only run white/red lights, police run only white/blue, and in PA it's the opposite. I ordered a 56 LED kit from Amazon.com that was only like $50! Comes with three flasher settings, and it's really six brackets and on the brackets are the LEDs which are sets of three bulbs in a housing, there are three housings per bracket. Pretty small but neat looking. I'm trying really hard to find a DIY guide for this... as I'm not good with wiring or taking apart interior panels. I want all the lines to run hidden and look clean and professional. Let me know how your install goes! I'm going to post pics and maybe a video too once mine is done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back in 2008, our ambulance company started a Critical Care Transport team. My friend and I were the RN's and we used a 88K miles 2006 Element EX 2WD Automatic as a responder vehicle. We had all our gear including monitors, defibrillators, ventilators, jump bags, Oxygen tanks etc. We were as well equipped as any ambulance. People would always look amazed and asked us where we put the patients :grin: We beat the holy snot and piss out of that vehicle. Changed the oil every 10K with synthetic and FRAM extended guard (NOT The orange can mind you) Simply amazing that thing NEVER gave us one bit of trouble except when I wore the battery down charging the monitor battery packs in the back. It was running every day, all day and did everything from sit in hours long traffic, to flat out 100 mph emergency code 3 responses. I have enormous respect for the Element. its still running and has about 150K miles..

·
Registered
176 Posts
This won't help ya much but just thought I'd add my 2 cents....

First off I just want to say thanks for volunteering, the fire service could not function without you guys! I'm glad we have people and communities that support volunteers.

With all the lights and sirens you're putting on there please be carefull. People have a hard enough time seeing Engines/Ladders/Ambulances as it is, they'll be expecting POV's even less. The get confused with any flashing light... Haha. Just be carefull guys, with my years in the volunteer and career service I've seen and heard to many stories of things going bad in POV's

But once again I'm happy you guys are there for you community and doing such an important service, Thank you for being there!

Good luck with the light setup, way over my head.... Haha. :rockon:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It varies with state to state. Volunteers in some states can run with ether a blue light or green light. Here in California you can not have anything on your POV when responding to the station for a call.
Indiana has a really foul set of regs. Blue is vol fire and green is vol ambulance. While drivers are -supposed- to pull over, there's no penalty if they refuse.

Just across the north border, blue is state police and it makes the occasional issue when an Indiana newbie doesn't know the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts