Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took our element out for the weekend camping and had a good time. i didn't get a lot of photos because i was by myself, but i did manage to take a few of my setup.

the worst part about the weekend was the amount of time it took to set up and tear down the canopy. the weather was pretty crummy all weekend (high in the 50's and low in the 40's) plus constant drizzle. i sat by the fire pit for most of the time and read. i did manage to get on some decent bike trails though.

the first night i placed my air mattress (full size) on the floor with the seats hung to the sides. the second night i reattached the seats to the floor and reclined them flat and placed my mattress on top. i think i enjoyed being on top of the seats better than on the floor. it seemed a bit more comfortable.

i'm definitely going to order the privacy curtain before my next outing. it was nice having the canopy though to block the winds and give me a place to change clothes.

my site didn't have electricity so i took along a marine/rv battery just in case i needed it.

i seemed to have most of the items needed, however i did come home with a short list of things to purchase. i'll have to visit walmart before i go out again.

here are a few pics i took...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am not a camping expert but for sure love your set up. The title should read OBP goes camping :D Thanks for sharing the pictures! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and by the way, it was pure luck that the sides of the canopy i purchased are a close match to the color of our element! how sweet is that!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Very nice set up. Looks like you had the campground mostly to yourself also--pros and cons to that. I preferred sleeping on the seats also, both for comfort and the fact just being up higher and able to see out if I want to. Where did you end up going?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did in fact have this area to myself (almost)! there was only one other site in use and they were at the opposite end from me. the peace and quiet was nice, however i enjoy looking at other people's setups and saying hi to people as they walk by.

i ended up staying close to home (in case i had any difficulties on my first element trip) at comlara park/lake evergreen in hudson, illinois. we take our trailer there several times a year and we really like the park.

i'm hoping to go out again in the element the weekend of 10/16... a friend suggested ferne clyffe state park in southern illinois, so i might go there.

scotia: do you use any type of privacy curtain?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Real nice.

Great looking setup for a fine looking rig.

We did our 1st camping trip in the E this summer too.
I was working right up to the Friday before, and had no budget to get roof racks installed. But I had time to knock out 4 tiedown brackets to bolt to the roof rack mounts.

A fun little project, that took about 3 hrs, using a sawsall, hack saw, power drill and some files.

Not as purty as yours but pretty functional.

We used the brackets to tie down a roof-bag. The tents, sleeping bags and a couple duffles went up on top, the rest of the gear in the wayback. Add 2 kids, 2 adults and a houndog, and the rear wheel camber spread out a bit. But it handled just fine.

Good times on a budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
scotia: do you use any type of privacy curtain?
I have the side and rear widows tinted rather dark and have the Element fitted sun shade for the front. It seems to work OK. I'm on a minimalist kick, but like to look at and hear about all the gadgets and new equipment from Hiker Chick, Junebug, Jojo and the others.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great looking setup for a fine looking rig.

We did our 1st camping trip in the E this summer too.
I was working right up to the Friday before, and had no budget to get roof racks installed. But I had time to knock out 4 tiedown brackets to bolt to the roof rack mounts.

A fun little project, that took about 3 hrs, using a sawsall, hack saw, power drill and some files.

Not as purty as yours but pretty functional.

We used the brackets to tie down a roof-bag. The tents, sleeping bags and a couple duffles went up on top, the rest of the gear in the wayback. Add 2 kids, 2 adults and a houndog, and the rear wheel camber spread out a bit. But it handled just fine.

Good times on a budget.
Great idea, I may just have to try something like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts