Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all.

After years of "always wanting one", last March I purchased my new (used) Element and have put it to good use ever since. One road trip from Texas to Arizona and several camping trips later, I decided to join the group. I do pop in from time to time to view the forums but decided to make it official today.

I'm about to replace the tires and I'm starting to feel some rough suspension action in the passenger side rear. In addition, my neighbor graciously donated a Yakima (2) bike roof rack w/ cargo basket so I'm about to try to make that work.

Long story boring, I thought it was time to join the group and do some research before the projects begin.

Thanks for having me, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Welcome , welcome !
Just wondering , I've got an 05 ex R/R , I thought R/R only came in the ex line ? Or did it change in 06 ?
Thanks
RUBY

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Welcome to the Group

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
Welcome.

If you still have a rear suspension vibration after replacing the tires. Get a four wheel alignment done and have the shop look at the suspension. You could have a worn bushing, bad shock or something bent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

If you still have a rear suspension vibration after replacing the tires. Get a four wheel alignment done and have the shop look at the suspension. You could have a worn bushing, bad shock or something bent.
It's feeling more and more like a bad shock. I'm getting a pretty good "thunk" from the passenger, rear side when the road is rough or particularly when i'm jumping curbs.... kidding about that last part. But any little pothole that I happen to catch really clunks pretty good back there.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's feeling more and more like a bad shock. I'm getting a pretty good "thunk" from the passenger, rear side when the road is rough or particularly when i'm jumping curbs.... kidding about that last part. But any little pothole that I happen to catch really clunks pretty good back there.

Look at the sway bar bushings first !

Dom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Check out the cheap stuff first. When the rear stabilizer bar bushings or end links wear out it causes some really annoying thumping and clunking. If you get a chance to crawl underneath just grab the stabilizer bar and shake it around, if it's loose you'll know right away. I had to do mine at around 80k, then the struts started weeping and changed them shortly after for nearly $900. The E has ridden like new ever since, nice and smooth.

Bushings-$4
End links-$20
Strut-$250 each

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out the cheap stuff first. When the rear stabilizer bar bushings or end links wear out it causes some really annoying thumping and clunking. If you get a chance to crawl underneath just grab the stabilizer bar and shake it around, if it's loose you'll know right away. I had to do mine at around 80k, then the struts started weeping and changed them shortly after for nearly $900. The E has ridden like new ever since, nice and smooth.

Bushings-$4
End links-$20
Strut-$250 each
yep, rolling up on 80k any day now. thanks for the info. i'll crawl under and give it a shake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts