Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've owned my Element for less than a week and I'm really excited about it! It's a 2005 EX AWD with 199,900 miles. I want to make sure I make it last and treat it right, but money is tight, so I don't want to just rush and take it to the dealer if I don't have to.

Hoping to get the forum's thoughts on what the issues might be so I can plot a course of action.
  • Issue 1: When I'm on the highway, it drives fine, but if I let off the gas there is a slight feeling like it wants veer to the right...and sometimes when a larger car/truck speeds by I feel some instability, any idea what that could be?
  • Issue 2: While driving with the window down, I can hear something from the driver's side that sounds like something might be "rubbing" - almost like a ticking or a revolving "tch" sound - that speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as I slow down. Any idea what that could be?
  • Issue 3: there are some slight creaks and thuds/knocks from the rear - especially when I make the right turn onto my street, which is an incline. It sounds like a knock on the driver's side rear, but the previous owner swears that he had new shocks and struts put in on the rear and a new axle on the driver's side rear, just a couple days before I bought it. Thoughts?
I really appreciate your time and support - my hope is that you all might provide some direction here, and then I will take it to a neighborhood mechanic with at least an idea of what I might hear and what repairs might cost.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi,
At that mileage I would check all 4 wheel bearings and the front axles.

You are also due for the 1K maintance routine, including a spark plug replace and valve adjustment!

ALL fluids including rear differental!

Remember, HONDA's, like on time maintance, using HONDA Fluids!

·
Registered
Tangerine 2008 EX-P Auto AWD
17 Posts
issue 1: I think part of the problem is the fact that we drive boxes lol but the veering could be as easy as an alignment.
Issue 3: Could be sway bar bushings. Ericthecarguy has an awesome series on YouTube for Elements. He replaces them and it helps with the rear noises we tend to have.
Issue 2: Good luck on that one.

I also agree with Seagiants post. A little maintenance and tic goes a long way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My guess for the rubbing sound is something brake related. I get that perplexing noise from the rear of mine. The other day I pulled the back brakes apart again to make sure a clip or something wasn't rubbing. My guess for my noise is the crusty, rusty rotor is rubbing on the backing plate. I didn't feel like messing with the parking brake shoe adjustment right now, or I'd have removed the rotors and ground the rust off. (or replace them). It makes a tch, tch sound that gradually fades as I drive first time of the day or after sitting awhile.

Case in point. Looking form above, the backing plate is in the middle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
At that mileage I would check all 4 wheel bearings and the front axles.

You are also due for the 1K maintance routine, including a spark plug replace and valve adjustment!

ALL fluids including rear differental!

Remember, HONDA's, like on time maintance, using HONDA Fluids!
Thank you so much! Spark plugs were recently done, but I'm sure the valve adjustment was not. Would you mind possibly directing me to the 1K maintenance routine, and other appropriate maintenance at different mileage intervals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
issue 1: I think part of the problem is the fact that we drive boxes lol but the veering could be as easy as an alignment.
Issue 3: Could be sway bar bushings. Ericthecarguy has an awesome series on YouTube for Elements. He replaces them and it helps with the rear noises we tend to have.
Issue 2: Good luck on that one.

I also agree with Seagiants post. A little maintenance and tic goes a long way.
Thank you so much, I'll check those too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess for the rubbing sound is something brake related. I get that perplexing noise from the rear of mine. The other day I pulled the back brakes apart again to make sure a clip or something wasn't rubbing. My guess for my noise is the crusty, rusty rotor is rubbing on the backing plate. I didn't feel like messing with the parking brake shoe adjustment right now, or I'd have removed the rotors and ground the rust off. (or replace them). It makes a tch, tch sound that gradually fades as I drive first time of the day or after sitting awhile.

Case in point. Looking form above, the backing plate is in the middle.
Wow, my brakes do look a bit rusty from the street, haven't gotten that "up close and personal" view, will probably take a look this weekend. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
Tangerine 2008 EX-P Auto AWD
17 Posts
Eww... brakes. I had to drill out every rotor set screw. I also had one bleeder valve that was clogged. the rotors were rusted to the hubs... hence the name "Rust Bucket"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts