Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Just a quick hello, wanted to introduce myself to the boards (I don't need my first ever post to be down the road when I realize I need to ask a question) heh.

I picked up an '06 Element EXP two weeks ago. I did do a lot of reading here before committing to an Element. You all were a huge help.

Anyway, I LOVE IT! :) The thing is great, fun to drive. And, living in Massachusetts - I got to really try it out in the snow for the first time over the past couple days. The thing is great. One of the things I was a bit anxious about was 4x4 vs 4WD. Some of the posts on here made me think I may have made the wrong decision (having driven 4wd pickups most of my life).

Let me tell you - the thing is great in the snow. I was TRYING to get it to skid out in an empty parking lot in wet snow and it was tough. I live up a sharp hill which is always the last to be plowed out. For the short time I owned a FWD car I would get anxious when it was snowing, and once home refuse to go out. You just couldn't get up the hill (many try every storm and just spin their wheels in front of my house). The Element zips right up it - no issues.

So if you're looking to buy one and want to know about the 4WD - it works great in snow. If you're looking to traverse the rocky mountains, or drive through 2' snow banks on a regular basis - you may want to think twice (maybe not, I'm simply assuming). But if you just need to get to work on poorly plowed roads - up snow covered hills, or like me need to drive to grab a cup of coffee despite the fact there is a blizzard going on - it's great.

Ok anyways, I do ramble. I love the thing. You have to be an 'individual' to own one, though. Of everyone that has seen it, 2 people seem to really like it, 2 or 3 people showed some polite indifference and the rest think it's ridiculous. Though the fact it's tangerine (I call it burnt orange) is a turn off to many. I love it.

But you know what - it's the most fun, practical vehicle I've ever owned. And I think it's cute as can be. Great reliability ratings.

My one complaint (come on there has to be one) - is gas mileage. So far I am averaging less than 20mpg. Though 1) it's winter 2) i'm sure the 4wd has been engaing a bit 3) it's mostly city driving and 4) i'm a bit of a lead foot (though I've been trying to reign that in some).

Ok also - it could use some extra storage compartments. I love how everything is plastic and washable. And it's super roomy. But if you want to put some books (or a pizza) or anything in it, it slides around everywhere while you drive and that drives me nuts. Though I bought a couple of (matching) folding plastic milk crates and they've helped a lot.

Ok I'll shut up now. =D Thanks again! Enjoy your E's!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Howdy! Glad your having fun with your new toy:-D

As far as gas mileage I look at it this way. I gladly pay those extra bucks at the pump, so I don't pay much more at the shop with maintenance & repair issues.
Plus your getting a lot from that vehicle and it's going to let you have fun for a long time, so think of it as "fun tax":grin:.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Your enthusiasm is contagious! Glad you found the forum. Your also in one of the most active branches of the EOC. So make an Effort to attend one of our many meets! It would me nice to meet you and see your E in person.

Dom

·
Registered
707 Posts
Glad you love your E, we sure love ours! As for the "sliding cargo" for the dash I ordered rubber mats that are cut just right for the dash cubbies and they work great. For the cargo area I just got an OEM mat and it helps a little bit but if you have anything tall back there it just topples over:| I need to look into the OEM cargo box that Honda has for the E. Anyways, welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
At home depot they sell rubber mats you cut to size to fit your kitchen cabinets. I bought a large roll, cut it to fit the back of my E and nothing slides anymore..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Great to be here.

I definitely agree Jojo, the gas mileage (which isn't bad for an 4WD vehicle imho) is worth all the benefits of the vehicle.

I need to go investigate that rubber matting, I know exactly what you're talking about. I already have an accessory wish list. I should start with the cheap and practical - like rubber mats :)

Thanks again! Ohh, and I definitely plan on checking out the local events. I was impressed that the NE chapter had so many members.

Joe

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jbh126 welcome and thanks for the great vehicle writeup. Enjoy your new E!

·
1,049 Posts

Welcome to the EoC, Jbh126.

:grin:

I think you will find that most people either love the E or hate it.

That is ok...we know the truth...the E is a great vehicle and a Honda to boot.

I just have one little correction and is kind of a pet peeve of mine. The E is not Awd...it is 4wd just not a 4x4.

Awd = All 4 wheels getting power at all times with no selection.
4wd = 2 wheels drive most of the time 4 wheels getting power sometimes. (In our case Honda calls it Realtime 4wd)
4x4 = Same as above with the addition of a transfer case to allow for the operator to select 2 or 4hi or 4low.

Again...Welcome to the EoC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to one of the best forums that exists! I think you will enjoy this site a lot! Always good to have another MT member too. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So true about people loving it, or hating it. Concerning the AWD / 4WD - I guess you learn something new everyday! I'm sure I'll continue to call it AWD but, I'll try not to for ya lol (I've always driven 4wd trucks - with the locking hubs and the choices between 4lo and 4hi, etc) So to me, this is just so different a concept (you don't do anything at all but drive).

Anywho - thanks again for the welcome, I do like the site a lot I'm on here mostly everyday. I'm psyched to be taking my E for it's first 200+ mile HWY weekend tonight. Interested to see what sorta mileage I get. I'm even planning on washing her before i go (ya know, make sure she is nice and aerodynamic) lolol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts