Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..... It's finally in here! I picked up "ELmo", my SOP "Y" 5spd from the dealership on Wednesday night. Picking up a new vehicle has got to be one of the best feelings there is. I certainly have not experienced this since I bought a new Civic Si back in 1993. I thought long and hard about what CD would be the first to be slipped into the deck well in advance. I felt that based on the adrenaline rush that I would be feeling, it would make sense to play a track that reflected that feeling. So the first song played on the 270 watt system as I was pulling out into traffic was "Back in Black" by AC/DC. WOW! I must say that the stereo was quite crisp and solid. Now you have to keep in mind that I was jumping into the "E" from my 1987 Accord that is riddled with all sorts of "urban camouflage" so graduating to a vehicle with high tech features like power windows and mirrors that actually function was a real treat.

One of the first things I noticed was how big this thing felt internally. I'm not taking about the interior space which is also quite good but rather the fact that the "E" feels like such a substantial sized vehicle over-all when you are behind the wheel. It is almost like an optical illusion. I had a full sized GMC Sierra a few years ago so I do have some experience behind the wheel of a large truck. I think it has to do with the relatively low seating position and high roof line combined with the shape and angle of the windshield. What ever the case, it just feels like so much more than it is in reality from an over-all volumetric perspective.

I found the ride to be quite good. The corners where a bit softer than I had expected but not in a way that causes any concern. I think it's probably because of a lack of lateral support in the seats ( Sorry folks, I will have to side with Kenzie on this one. ) The seats were quite a bit more firm than most vehicles but this is fine for me. I'm not a big fan of the super soft cushy seating found in many GM vehicles from the 80's. One of my biggest beefs with a lot of vehicles is the positioning of components on the door panel. I'm talking about things that protrude in towards the driver from the door panel. Some times these components can have edges that are quite sharp and hard which causes a lot of discomfort for my knees as they rub up against them. This was certainly not the case with the Element. It has a very comfortable seating position with none of those annoying "protrusions". I bring this up because I am just under 6ft tall and I have long legs that seem to end up bending outward while I'm driving. I do think that the door handle/arm rest should be more substantial though. This is not at all comfortable for me. Having an additional arm rest on the passenger side would be nice too. My wife found that it's absence was annoying. (Is this available as an option?)

Getting in and out of this thing is a breeze. I have two children under the age of four so getting them in and out and getting access to the rear seats is a real treat! This was one of my beefs with the Windstar that I sold last winter. It was such a hassle to access the rear seats. I'm very glad that the Element is so spacious (particularly in it's vertical dimensions).

The controls are all really easy to use and very well laid out. I am a huge supporter of "simple" layouts and this vehicle is as fundamental is they get. Everything just makes sense about the controls. Before getting the vehicle I was a bit worried about how the shifter lever would feel being so high up on the console. I was so used to having it on the floor beside me in all of my other vehicles. As it turns out, I absolutely love it where it is. It is such a natural position so close to the steering wheel (and the stereo controls!) I had very high expectations of the shifting of the manual transmission and the clutch pedal action. Having owned Honda vehicles in the past, I know how well they have mastered the art of creating a nice smooth shifting transmission. I must say that I was blown away! This is the smoothest of all the Hondas I've owned. It can only be described as a hot knife through butter. Really well engineered from this perspective.

Over-all I am very happy with my new toy and I expect that it will give me many years of satisfaction. This weekend we are driving up north for a couple of days so it will be put to the test. It will be loaded up to the top with two adults, two small children and a bunch of luggage and gear. I can't wait to drive it again!

BTW: I too am having a hard time wiping the silly grin off my face!

See you all on the road!

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too am looking forward to hopping behind the wheel of a brand new car. For me it's been 10 years since that new car smell of my Suzuki Sidekick 4 dr (Sigh, I'm really gonna miss her). There is an arm rest/storage unit thingy available as an option for the passenger. I'm getting it on my E. It's odd that they didn't put some kind of arm rest there for the passenger. I agree with you on the lack of lateral support - I noticed it as well on the numerous test drives (okay, one test drive sold me - I just wanted to keep taking them out over and over again :D) when doing some sharper corners.
I had to laugh over your CD dilemma. I too am thinking - what will be the first song to be played on such a momentous occasion. Maybe I'll try the MP3 first. The bf suggested Celine Dion. I think it's time to get a new bf.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely time for a new bf if he is suggesting to put a Celine CD in the slot. If a Celine CD ends up finding it's way into your "E", you can always use it as a coaster! :lol:

I was not aware of any arm rest available for the passenger side. Is this an aftermarket product? I would like to get one if it is available.

I've been driving around in ELmo for almost a week now and I must admit it is one of the most fun vehicles that I've owned. My body has adjusted to the seats now so I don't find it as uncomfortable as I did before with the lack of lateral support.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm jealous! One day, I too, shall zip around town in my cool-mobile. The armrest was one of the options from the factory. You can always order it from the dealer. Good to hear that you're getting comfortable in the seats. I'm trying to narrow down the music selection - I like your idea about the coaster (I'm pretty sure there will be NO wayward Celine CDs making their way into my E). I'm thinking Roxy Music for the first spin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you getting yours soon? Give me details.....I can totally relate to your anxiety while waiting and waiting..... There was a group that used to post regularly back a couple of months ago. They have all since taken delivery of their new toys and now the postings have all but died. Don't worry Crazycat, I'm still here! I'm probably one of the only saps that keeps checking the postings here on the Canadian side. Is there anyone else waiting from Ontario? If it makes you feel any better......my Element showed up earlier than originally estimated. When I placed the order in March, I was told that it would be produced in June and I likely wouldn't see it until July. As it turns out it showed up early. I think the toughest part was once the VIN was issued. I knew it was not far away at that point so the days seemed to drag on..... At the end of the day, all is well with the world!

I hope yours comes soon! 8)

I will certainly look into the armrest for the passenger side.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dudes:

There is not an "option" for the passenger side. What people have doen is to purchase the storage armrest and then use the spare armrest on the passenger side. The storage armrest suits the passenger quite well, tho as it is amply large.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Iskie is right - its a storage thingy - but a rather large armrest to boot. Hoping to get a VIN this week. Have a bad feeling that the E will not be built this week - must keep positive thoughts :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
accually, our E showed up yesterday! i was happy to hear, but today was a holiday, and plus they had to instal the clear bra thing, so i hope they did it yestday, they said tomorrow or the next day, but tomorrows almost here so it better be ready! i cant wait!!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts