Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think if i told you guys my first oil change was in 1,200 miles. The dealer ask me why? i ask him why ask why? He said that from the Honda assymbly line they put in special brake in oil. Is that true. My reasoning of changing oil so early atleast @ 1000 miles because the motor when its built they have small metal partilcles in with the new oil, pretty much what your doing is flushing it out and putting new oil. But dont do it to early because of the cylinder rings. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
17 Posts
My salesman said the samething about special breaking in stuff in the engine and to bring it in at 8000 km for the first oil change.

Rick

·
Registered
176 Posts
did the dealer mention anything about warranty?

also, did you read your element owner's manual? it specifically mentions the break-in factory oil-- although, it doesnt detail exactly why they have it.

i would refrain from doing anything on your own regarding oil additives. that's just my novice input. i do know that dealers can put in "break-in oil" and wonder if they might have used the special oil for your oil change. might be worth asking your service dept.?

i'd also ask to see if your early oil change affects your warranty at all. (if so, they should have told you before getting the change)

good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everythings ok with my E. Im sure my dealer would'nt have change my oil if it was really bad for the motor. Its cool I have the warranty.... :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honda adds a special blend of oil to help assist in the break in. This additive is called Molybendenum(sp?). It helps the rings get a good seal during the breakin period and they usually recommend not to change the oil until 3000 miles.

Will it hurt that you changed it at 1200 miles? probably not. The only side effect that MAYBE will happen is that you lose a little power 1-3hp during the life of the engine.

Will it void the warranty? no.

Drive on. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Honda don't recommend the first oil change at 3000 miles, 3750 or anything of the sort. The manual gives the service interval at 10,000 miles (5,000 in severe conditions) and Honda says the first oil change should be in line with that schedule.

The service department at my dealer said they would not undertake a first oil change in less than 5000 miles because the break-in oil would not have had time to work effectively, and that long term it would harm the engine to do so. They also warned me that some dealers have habitually encouraged owners to shorter oil-change intervals for no geunine mechanical reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts