Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my E since April 25,2010.
Did first oil change at 6872 miles 15% oil life.
I would definitely advise getting the oil deflector to keep oil off the cross member. Used it and didn't spill 1 drop.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That factory installed oil filter is sure a pain to get off wasn't it. I think mine was put on by a jack hammer. What oil did you use? I use 5-20 mobile one and the oil change interval is still around 7k

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That factory installed oil filter is sure a pain to get off wasn't it. I think mine was put on by a jack hammer. What oil did you use? I use 5-20 mobile one and the oil change interval is still around 7k
The stock filter was a pain to get off, I had my long armed brother reach in from the top with a big pair of channel locks to get the damn thing off. The K&N filter should be easier to take off thanks to that 1" bolt incorporated in the can.
I went 5-20 Mobil 1, 4 1/2 quarts and it shows a little over the full mark on the dipstick
The mileage for the oil change doesn't actually have to do with the engine "monitoring" oil life itself. It is based on engine revolutions, I believe it works the same as an hour meter on heavy equipment. It doesn't matter how many miles are driven, but how many time the engine turns. That's why people that drive in a lot of traffic that are sitting around idling have the oil percentage drop faster than those of us who drive mostly freeway, like me.
I was at 15% and just had the time to do it this last weekend. I will post the mileage and oil life percentage on my next change. Since I just sold my sentra to my brother I will be racking up the miles on the E so it shouldn't be long before the next change, looking at my schedule for work, probably latwe Sept or early Oct will be my next maintenance.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i find it so much easier to get the filter out by going through the passenger wheel well..plus my arms are way to short to get it from the top..
I'll have to try that next time if my little bro isn't around, if he is, I'll make him do it again!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, according to Honda (2010 owner's manual page 243), the oil minder is based on "engine operating conditions and accumulated engine revolutions."
Yup.
I wonder what "operating conditions" they refer to that can be monitored electronically. Perhaps outside temp is one since there is a external tempature gauge on the vehicle. I would like to know what else they have come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts