Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I could not find an answer by searching, so here it goes:

We have a little over 5k miles on our E. The oil percentage life is at 0 now. The display actually reads -28 miles or whatever for oil change indicator. I want to wait until 10k to change the oil. I checked the dipstick and oil looks great and is still full. Should I simply reset the oil reminder and ignore until 10k? Or is the computer telling me it actually needs a changing right now?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The computer is telling you to change the oil based on your driving patterns and usage. Most people around here cant wait to change the oil, why do you want to wait until 10k? aside from the fact that your location is ND and its probably really really cold outside.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This thread might help you >>>>> http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8368

It is a poll of who waited how many miles ;) IMHO if the oil looks clean and you dont see alot of debris i would go ahead and let it run the full 10 K, i think the owners manual might say to do that but maybe i just heard that some where:roll:

After you decide what you want to do with your E this thread will help you with that seeing as you have an '09 >>>>>>> http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41759

Hope those help point you in a helpful direction!!

EF

·
Registered
246 Posts
Consider this, too....

The following information was provided to Honda Service Technicians by Honda Engineering after extensive testing and investigation of K series timing chain issues:

A damaged or stretched cam chain, resulting from infrequent oil changes, can cause the MIL to come on with DTC P0341 (CMP sensor A and CKP sensor incorrect phase detected).

Old oil causes the cam chain to wear quickly.

As a result, it stretches beyond the point where the cam chain auto-tensioner can keep up.

That extra chain slack causes the valve timing control (VTC) actuator and the exhaust camshaft sprocket to lag behind, and you wind up with DTC P0341.

Keep in mind, a damaged or stretched cam chain resulting from infrequent oil changes isn’t covered by warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will go ahead and change it tonight. Thanks for the replies.

·
1,049 Posts
Honda Tech said:
Keep in mind, a damaged or stretched cam chain resulting from infrequent oil changes isn’t covered by warranty

While I am not disputing the cause of a damaged or stretched cam chain.

I would like to point out that the oil change interval in every Element owner's manual I have looked at states that the oil should be changed every 10,000 miles or one year whichever is sooner.

So there is no way that 10,000 miles can be considered "infrequent" when that is the interval that the manufacturer recommends when using "dino" oil let alone if someone were to actually run synthetic.

Bottom line...change your oil when you want...5k or 10k...it's your cash.

:)

P.S. I have run nothing but synthetic in my 2004 E,since the first oil change, and she has over 140k on her with no issues using 10k oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
except the OP has an 09 with Maintenance Minder. If I remember correctly, the owners manual says to change the oil when the MM says 15%, I dont think it gives a mileage for the change. do it when the E tells you, it knows best. :039: :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts