Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a little road trip to the Smoky Mountains this week. We spent a couple of days riding around through some of the lesser traveled places. We didn't see any bear this trip but did spot some elk. The E got over 26 mpg going on the highway and about 22 mpg traveling around in the mountains. I drove about 900 miles the whole trip.

Here's a few photos.

The scene from an overlook.

A grocery store at Mt. Sterling North Carolina.

Some elk we spotted at the Cataloochee valley in the Smoky Mountain National Park

The cabin where we stayed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Love the grocery, one-fifth the size of the toilet paper display at Costco.
:)

I laughed out loud at the comparison...why the toilet paper display? I often use the hugh bread displays in US grocery stores as comparison to the single bread offering in a third world market to illustrate our affluence. I'll have to pay more attention to the toilet paper choices.

I can just imagine sitting on that deck looking into the woods...aaaaah....hot coffee in the morning....wine in the evening...aaah. Thanks for the vicarious experience.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I laughed out loud at the comparison...why the toilet paper display? I often use the hugh bread displays in US grocery stores as comparison to the single bread offering in a third world market to illustrate our affluence. I'll have to pay more attention to the toilet paper choices.
You could do an entire speech on American tp. Single-ply, double-ply, w/aloe, without. Double-sized roll or standard....

It's daunting to shop for tp. Even with unit pricing I am overwhelmed.

Most of the rest of the world could not imagine the average American supermarket's toilet paper array and how much we spend for our rear ends.

Let alone Costco's TP Mountain.

A friend and I went shopping there a couple weeks ago and were in awe.

It'd be a bit scary in earthquake country.

:)

·
Registered
847 Posts
:-( I'll miss leaf peeper season in the smokies this year. Nothing finer than a mountain bike ride thru the smokies on a crisp autumn morning.

The ingenuity displayed in that part of the country can be quite interesting. :D We cracked up driving along the river near Cherokee, NC at the river bank being shorn up by stacks of smashed cars. Recycling at it's finest. :lol:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, we saw some of that too over near Bryson City. Here's a photo of it. They just stacked old cars along the river banks to stop erosion.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep, same area. We saw some about 4 high with dirt on the top so they had put some serious effort into it. :) I used to go to the NOC near Bryson once or twice a year before I moved to Texas. Late October was my favorite time for the end of season festival...but diaaammnn the water is cold for rafting/kayaking then!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
great pics! the cabin views look great! but my fave is definately the pic of the grocery store! priceless!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts