Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had my first road trip with my new '08 E last month after having it since Feb. Thought I'd post a few pics and impressions.

I drive from MN down to Chicago most springs to attend a Japanese animation convention called Anime Central. I drive strait down on a Thursday, then drive back up overnight Saturday. Not a long distance trip, but it gave me a good opportunity to see how the E handles longer than ~30 mile trips. Have to say I was impressed. My biggest concern was how comfortable it would be after driving for 3-4 hours strait. It was a nice ride and wasn't stiff at all. Can't wait to see how it handles a 12 hr drive. Mileage was good also. I got 28mpg going 65mph on cruise control through most of WI. It dropped to my average 24mpg when I got into the congested Chicago area. Also found sleeping in the E was nice enough as I slept a few hours at a WI rest stop on my way back.

Here is my E when I was just about down packing it. Still had plenty of room even with all my stuff. My previous hatchback was always bursting at the seems when traveling. The picture doesn't show all the stuff I have piled up on the passenger side.

This was my first stop.

Also found it didn't take long to get the front covered with bug splatter.

Only other E pic I got was a bit of a surprise as I was leaving the convention Sat. Spotted this in the parking ramp.

As I said, can't wait to get more time out on the road later this summer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Our Element has LOTS of highway miles and I concur - GREAT traveling car. Recently went with Karen and two close friends to Maine from N GA, about 20 hours each way, with a detour to Long Island on the way up.

Two observations:

1) Fuel mileage is partially dependent on weight. If you know you're not going to be using one or both rear seats, its best to remove them for a long trip. Plus it frees up some room and greatly enhances right rearward visibility (not a factor in your case, I see).

2) I agree that the seats are superb. My back can get a little "iffy" on a long trip. I've installed these and they help even further for lumbar support and on hot days they let your back breathe:

Available at Sporty's http://www.sportys.com for $14.95.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On May 22nd, My gf and I took our first road trip with the E from Milwaukee, WI to Sanibel Island, FL for a week. Straight through no stopping would have taken us 24hrs one way. We pulled over to try and sleep which was pretty rough since we couldn't recline the back seat cause of the luggage. Overall great car for traveling! On the way back I just wanted to get home or turn around and extend the beautiful vacation. I drove from Atlanta to the Wisconsin border with 1 hr of ok sleep and my back was so stiff. If we do something like that again I will have to pick up one of those lumbar supports! I still can't get the bugs off my bumper so if anyone has any hints let me know please....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take one of those bath towels that you wouldn't want a guest to use and cut in half. Cut the leg out of a pair of pantyhose and place your rolled towel half inside. Knot the cut end of the stocking and scrub the bugs away.

·
Registered
478 Posts
where do you get those things for ur back? wally world im guessin? i like to sit as far back and recline the seat a tad while i drive...ppl literally are jealous of the extra head room and leg room...sometimes...i know this may not be safe...but i can sit have indian style or even stretch my legs onto the dash!...really tho..everytime i go to the market..i get a lot of compliments on the roominess of my cabin!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts