Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the General couldn't pull off a deal and now Saab will sail off into the sunset. It is too bad. I was always a fan of Saabs quirky styling off the 900's and 9-3's.

Here is the official word from GM;

"Detroit. General Motors announced today that the intended sale of Saab Automobile AB would not be concluded. After the withdrawal of Koenigsegg Group AB last month, GM had been in discussions with Spyker Cars about its interest in acquiring Saab. During the due diligence, certain issues arose that both parties believe could not be resolved. As a result, GM will start an orderly wind-down of Saab operations.

"Despite the best efforts of all involved, it has become very clear that the due diligence required to complete this complex transaction could not be executed in a reasonable time. In order to maintain operations, Saab needed a quick resolution," said GM Europe President Nick Reilly. "We regret that we were not able to complete this transaction with Spyker Cars. We will work closely with the Saab organization to wind down the business in an orderly and responsible manner. This is not a bankruptcy or forced liquidation process. Consequently, we expect Saab to satisfy debts including supplier payments, and to wind down production and the distribution channel in an orderly manner while looking after our customers."

Saab will continue to honor warranties, while providing service and spare parts to current Saab owners around the world."

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
This is sad, but not unforeseen. Like purist fans of the marque, I think Saab died when GM bought them in the first place and relegated the make to yet another badge-engineered wannabe line, like Ford almost did to Jaguar. I recall Saabs back to the day of their truly quirky 2-cycle engine, and was disappointed on learning that they had dropped the iconic Sonnet.

So yet something else unique and fun vanishes... seems to be a running theme these days... "conform, or die". :-(

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am not sure about the US but within months of GM taking over they pulled the franchises from existing Saab dealers and packed them all together as Saturn Saab Isuzu. (see a pattern here).

One dealer near me had spent two million on upgrading his facilties to have GM and Ford pull Saab and Jaguar out from under his feet respectively.

The 9-2X and the 9-7X were pretty much a joke. The only thing missing from the lineup was a rebadged mini-van and silverado.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Yes, you are. :-D

The 2nd-gen Sonnets were my fave. Very '70s, but still very cool. It was a great time in the car industry, when innovative design and lots of variety ruled the market. Today... not so much... not even close.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am not surprised after the collapse of the first deal in late November but I am not happy about it. I have had the pleasure of owning 4 SAABs, all from new and all convertibles. If I were a millionaire I would still have the SAAB I have today without a question. That said GM reacted too slowly to bring out new fresh models to take on BMW and the like. They were on the right track with the new 9-5 and the other concepts they were working on but were late to the table....if they just could have survived 2 more years we would have seen a new 9-3 and maybe a new Sonnet. I will miss SAAB very much.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I'll miss the ringing rigading ding ding of the engine and the free wheeling transmission.

Dom

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
What a sob, or should I say saab story. I like older saab's, but since GM bought them, the cars have looked so plain imo. Maybe someone will grab them before it happens and revive them, its needed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice Cuda!. That was when Chrysler (Plymouth) knew how to make car. I wouldn't buy any of their stuff now.....Pieces OS IMO........

·
Registered
997 Posts
I grew up more around the smaller imports. Learned to drive (and autocross) in this one:

and it survived the process and my Dad still has it :)

had this one for around 20 years:

It was our only car for years and ended up with 320,000 miles on it before rust took it and I replaced it with the orange one. We drove it to Seattle, Vegas, Anaheim, Tahoe, Mendocino, Monterey and more. Ahh, the days when we were tougher, no AC and 10 hours on the road with a rabbit on the rear shelf :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
oldsmobile had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

then GM bought them and just re-badged their crap. then the customers left...

pontiac had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

saturn had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

Saab had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

just b/c you change the sticker and slightly change the interior, you're not going to fool people, the failure of multiple brands should have proven this by now.

I hope GM's new CEO can "CHANGE" things around....

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
oldsmobile had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

pontiac had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

saturn had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

Saab had a following... people loved them. they would and did continue to buy them.

just b/c you change the sticker and slightly change the interior, you're not going to fool people, the failure of multiple brands should have proven this by now.

I hope GM's new CEO can "CHANGE" things around....
If you're going to spew crap then at least know something about automotive history...

Oldsmobile was purchased by GM in 1908, 9 yrs after it was founded... GM kept the marque around for another 96 yrs, if GM hadn't purchased it then you never would have heard of it as it was about to go under. Saturn was created by GM in 1985. Pontiac was created by GM in 1926.

Don't make any of this political, politics has NOTHING to do with the failures of these marques under the GM banner.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you're going to spew crap then at least know something about automotive history...

Oldsmobile was purchased by GM in 1908, 9 yrs after it was founded... GM kept the marque around for another 96 yrs, if GM hadn't purchased it then you never would have heard of it as it was about to go under. Saturn was created by GM in 1985. Pontiac was created by GM in 1926.

Don't make any of this political, politics has NOTHING to do with the failures of these marques under the GM banner.
Don't forget, Saturn was also created by GM. It seemed successful until GM stopped caring about it and just re-baged a bunch of Opel cars to Saturn.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is truly a very sad bit of news. I loved our 9-5 SE wagon and would have loved to still kept it around if only my wife would have agreed with me.

I was really hopeful about Saab's future when Koenigsegg took interest in them. I thought, "aw hell yeah, Saab is going to have some game!"

At least I can say that I have had the pleasure of owning a Saab and loved it.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pretty funny, who would have thought back then that Chrysler would someday be owned by Fiat?
Chrysler the company that once owned Lamborghini is now owned by an Italian company itself.

Another little peice of trivia. AM General was created by AMC in the 70's. It is no accident that Hummer vehicles have the same 7 slot grille that the Jeep line uses.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts