Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, got some Eibachs and Koni Adjustables on my SC. I am pretty sure I am the first SC. Its been done on a EX that I know of. Anyways, here's a couple of pics.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
AWESOME!!!

Well done, I know you spent a lot of time and effort on this.
The results are well worth it!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
congrats! looks really good!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Whats the total cost and how much fabrication was involved? I know it's been a long project in the works hopefully its worth it ($$$) over the traditional coilover (tein) option. I have konis on all my hondas and they are great...but also expensive.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets see, I used the element eibach springs....Element strut bodies and top caps. spc camber arms. and rsx struts. only issue is on hard potholes I am getting a slight rubbing on the outside of the tire. checked the alignment and my camber is to the extreme of the postive side. so going to go more negative and should solve it. rides like silk now instead of an old wagon. still dialing it in a bit yet. front seemed a little soft on the way home from busch gardens so turned em up a bit.

Total cost to me:::

paided 130 for rsx struts to cut (you won't need so kinda doesn't count)

paide $80 for a set of 08 element struts

got a good deal for konis for 460 shipped on ebay (new)

got the eibach springs used for 180

traded my headunit for the spc camber kit...so $0

also spent 80 for a set of rear top caps just so I could keep my sc suspension in tact.

total suspension cost me too much, but it was an experience and a lot of extra was spent testing and playing. all you need it the camber kit, koni's and springs. the rest was for me to be safe by not cutting my struts so I could keep driving when I messed up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Queston, Did you run the SC strut bodies or a set of Non SC strut bodies?
non sc....but from what I understand is that all 07-08's are the same. springs are the only difference.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Congrats! looks great and with the konis, no more replacing blown struts every year or so. Glad you like them, keep us updated on your settings and changes, take that thing canyon carving, let us know how it feels.
Later
steve

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. After rolling the fenders I am experiencing no rubbing. I am dialed in to 1.5 turns out of 2 max on the rear and about 1.25 in front out of 2 max. front is a little stiff and going to turn it down to 1.125 turns. does well with kids and dog and gear, changed my tie rod ends and all is steering better. took them apart too many times and they were way sloppy. about 800 miles on the system and only complaint is at full load up on big bumps I hit the bump stops in the rear. considering raising the travel .25" with the koni grooves on the outside of the shocks to compensate for this. ride is much much better quality. i used to rest my head against the rear seat rest and get a headache from all the pounding it did from the bouncy ride. no more. can leave it there and it might bump once in awhile on a pot hole. anyways, nothing has blown yet. will let you know if it does.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Epic fail

KONI'S failed. do not use rear struts. with full cargo both rear spring perches managed to slip over the c rings during highway driving. causing the rear of my E to drop another 3.5 inches or so. Making it undrivable. You have been warned.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
KONI'S failed. do not use rear struts. with full cargo both rear spring perches managed to slip over the c rings during highway driving. causing the rear of my E to drop another 3.5 inches or so. Making it undrivable. You have been warned.
That is HORRIBLE news!! There is no way to fix this??
I'm hoping that no one was hurt, and that the E will be OK!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
were there room for the spring to move when the rear stut was put together?ive never seen the c clip fail like that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure exactly what happened yet, car is stuck in richmond waiting for parts. going to pick it up friday. let you guys know more then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bummer!!!

What a nightmare!! I was just on here looking for info on lowering my SC. I'm glad I ran across this thread. Best of luck with the repairs, Snow. I can't imagine what went through your head when you heard that box drop. The E will live again!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got her back. All running on stock again. Price tag was high since it happened outside of home and I didn't have much choice. it was too low for a flat bed so had to buy a stock suspension and have it put on. But, the failing part was the retaining clip that koni uses to hold the spring perch in place. had too much weight on it and it just rolled right out. perch and clip are destroyed. springs and damper look to be okay but not going to trust that I could repair it and something else would go bad. going to wait for some one to design a nice set with a welded perch. not a removeable one. actually found some sites where the clip rolled out on the cars they were meant for. seems to be a pretty shabby design. oh well, live and learn, it was a fun project.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That sucks major butt! Sorry this happened to you, I would throw a fit with koni and make them atleast buy back the struts or something, whst a joke for such a high dollar item, I will stay away from koni for good.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Holy crap man!! That IS scary!! Glad nobody or your E was hurt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts