Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not wait to get out in the snow tomorrow. This is the first chance I have to get a feel for AWD.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I second that motion. I am curious to see exactly how my E handles in the snow and what the limits are. Also want to see if I need to change tire brand to Nokian. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
hell yeah!! gonna air out 5lbs from the Blizzaks...... so I can drive circles around all the ******** & there diesels with my 2WD element...

have fun guys & be safe........

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
hell yeah!! gonna air out 5lbs from the Blizzaks...... so I can drive circles around all the ******** & there diesels with my 2WD element...

have fun guys & be safe........

Take care now Pat! That works well on sand, not so well in snow. Taking air out allows you to stay on top of the sand/snow. What happens is the tread develops a concave surface with low pressure. The sand stays under the tire, instead of being pushed to the side. that keeps the car/truck from digging down and becoming stuck to the pavement. What you want with snow is to dig through to the pavement. That's the reason good sand tires are wider than most, and good snow tires are thinner than most. You want the tire to dig!

Dom

·
Registered
129 Posts
The E handles great in the snow.... went through two snowstorms and it has never failed me yet.... give you an idea on the handling.... 495 wasnt plowed yet, and it had almost a foot of snow on it... and i traveled 45 miles to get home from work without a problem

·
Registered
120 Posts
Take care now Pat! That works well on sand, not so well in snow. Taking air out allows you to stay on top of the sand/snow. What happens is the tread develops a concave surface with low pressure. The sand stays under the tire, instead of being pushed to the side. that keeps the car/truck from digging down and becoming stuck to the pavement. What you want with snow is to dig through to the pavement. That's the reason good sand tires are wider than most, and good snow tires are thinner than most. You want the tire to dig!

Dom
Good info there Dom,
I've been unsure about that until now.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Dom, thanks, but I'm aware........I actually usually run slightly over pressure to get better fuel mileage during dry seasons.... I run snows all year round..... should have mentioned that beforehand so no one else does what I do :)Pat

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dom, thanks, but I'm aware........I actually usually run slightly over pressure to get better fuel mileage during dry seasons.... I run snows all year round..... should have mentioned that beforehand so no one else does what I do :)Pat
yea that is important information.:shock:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Element handled well in our first snow. I need to get used to the ABS. I never had it B4 I thought something was wrong at first. I was testing traction andI bumped into a curb in the Wal-Mart parking lot, but no harm done. I thought I was slipping more than I should be, but then I started watching everyone else, and I was doing pretty damn good. I Have Bridgestone Duelers on now, they were on when I bought it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I tell this to everyone that has a new car and the weather changes to take it out to a parking lot after it snows to test how the car handles and see what happens when the ABS engages and the AWD. I told a friend of mine to do this when she got her Grand Am, when she did she thanked me cause when that ABS engaged it scared her.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abs

scared me too. Thought my front end was coming loose.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My drive home from work yesterday evening went well! I have to say the E did a great job getting me home safe. The roads had not been plowed yet in Rockingham County and just kept a safe speed and distance. Noticed others slipping and sliding everywhere but those were the idiots who were following other cars too close! Roads look good now...some black ice out there though.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You guys are making me jealous. We aren't getting but a little dusting of precious white stuff. I could have left the Deulers on. :-(

At least it's a couple degrees above zero. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
At my house we are at 2 feet and counting! Still whiteout conditions.

The Plow got stuck. They sent a back hoe down to pull him up the hill. Getting the E out will be Fun !!!

Dom

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
At my house we are at 2 feet and counting! Still whiteout conditions.

The Plow got stuck. They sent a back hoe down to pull him up the hill. Getting the E out will be Fun !!!

Dom
18-23" here, right behind ya....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
guess who got nothing .....Upstate NY

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
we got about 8" in west jersey....... snow blower cleaned out the driveway in minutes & the Element performed flawlessly in the muck.

until my window washer tank froze up......damn PEAK fluid.......been sitting in the garage for a year or so, guess it broke down......got to work this morning & poured a bottle of isopropyl alcohol into the tank.....let it sit for 20 minutes...... & presto....good as new........:roll:

THANK GOD! i was not looking forward to working on the E in this weather....:-D

FYI Honda wants $50 per Window Washer pump (we have 2) and $100 for a new bottle if it freezes & cracks (dealer part only).... Napa, Advance & Auto Zone all charge under $20 for the same pump....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts