Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am out of my depth completely, as a first time car owner.
I'm looking at a well cared for 08, and will be living in Quebec.

How much should I be trying to save / put aside every month so that I can cover repairs as they come up?
I plan on doing under coating every year.
I've never worked on cars before, but I am handy and am excited to learn. I'd like to be prepared, so that when things eventually come up, be they routine maintenance or bigger unexpected surprises, I'm ready for them.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
Provide some details of the one you're looking at, make sure you check out the underside for one in Canada. How much you set aside sort of depends on what maintenance has already been done; then what might be needed in the future. As a first take, I'd set aside at least $100 per month. A good set of tires might cost you 5-6 months. OEM parts can be pricey, but if you plan to do most of your own work, that will save you the $100/hr or so labor rate that many shops charge. You can get OEM parts at 30% off from places like www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. I suggest your first investment be an OEM shop manual and some basic tools.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,
Well, the best thing you have done so far...

Is, you have decided on a Honda, with the K24 Engine.

That simple decision, will save you more money than you can imagine, in the years ahead.

BE ADVISED...Honda's, demand regular scheduled maintenance with the proper HONDA fluids!!!

There is a 110K maintenance list, including a valve adjust...Do it!!!

These are fantastic cars, but demand respect on their up keep!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Well, the best thing you have done so far...

Is, you have decided on a Honda, with the K24 Engine.

That simple decision, will save you more money than you can imagine, in the years ahead.

BE ADVISED...Honda's, demand regular scheduled maintenance with the proper HONDA fluids!!!

There is a 110K maintenance list, including a valve adjust...Do it!!!

These are fantastic cars, but demand respect on their up keep!!!
Thank you! I plan on keeping her for life. The previous owner has treated her exceptionally well, and I intend to do the same, just need to make sure I know how!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts