Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
My vehicle needs new tires and after much searching, I can’t find out if it’s possible to fit knobby AT tires on an E? I have a 08’ Element SC (18” rims) that is modified to be wheelchair accessible. My ultimate goal is to achieve two things.

1) Add extra ride height clearance. The floor of the vehicle has been dropped 10” to accommodate a wheelchair. The downside is we scrape the bottom of the car all time on things like speed bumps, top slopes of driveways and uneven pavement. Another thing to consider is the ramp that folds out, as it folds down so does that rocker panel. If the ground is not perfectly level, the rocker panel rests on the ground and interferes with the ramp opening fully. Then we have to reposition the vehicle and try again (pain in the butt). My thought is any added clearance would help alleviate these issues.

2) I live in Seattle and our roads are horrible! It could be described as off road terrain in my neighborhood and I want a tire that can hold up to these streets.

I hope to achieve this with oversized tires. I love the aggressive look of knobby AT tires, there is plenty of space in the wheel well and fender for them. But I assume the issue is the clearance with the suspension? Could wheel spacers be a solution to get the clearance needed for bigger tires?
I used to be a mechanic before my injury, so I would love to tear it apart and sort it out, but I can’t. If the EOC could help me think this through I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
you might be s.o.l.

hey, you might be s.o.l. in your attempt to fit burlier tires. if you stick with the stock tire size, there's only one tire in the stock size (yokohama geolandar a/t's), and they won't really lift the car at all. if you had the ex model with 16" wheels, you could probably go with a 225/75/16, which will lift the car about an inch, but i'm not really sure how much wheel well clearance there is in an sc. wheel spacers won't really help in your situation either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts