Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the MAF sensor is directional? As in, does it need to be oriented so the incoming air hits on one side or another? because I'm thinking I could just mount it so the screw holes would just bolt into the intake tube, rather than being offset.

Also I'm open to any other ideas anyone has on how to mount the MAF sensor with VERY limited know how, I pull cable for a living, not fabricating haha

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright so after getting everything in and finding the right hoses (3 trips to lowes a trip to advance auto and napa) and making a "bracket" for the MAF sensor I now have a check engine light! would someone care to explain what I might have done and how to reverse it?

Thanks

·
12,180 Posts
Alright so after getting everything in and finding the right hoses (3 trips to lowes a trip to advance auto and napa) and making a "bracket" for the MAF sensor I now have a check engine light! would someone care to explain what I might have done and how to reverse it?

Thanks

Did you drill a hole for the MAF sensor to fit into? If so is it sealed up or can air get in around it?

Can you post a pic so we caqn see how you installed it?

Something to keep in mind. When the 2007's first came out a good number of people had CEL's when they tried to install a SRI on them. Something about the new intake design likes to toss a CEL at you if everything isn't to its liking.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I was wondering if the MAF sensor is directional? As in, does it need to be oriented so the incoming air hits on one side or another?
I have an older E' which didn't come with a MAF sensor,but on most vehicles the MAF sensor will have an airflow direction arrow printed,or marked on it somewhere.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you drill a hole for the MAF sensor to fit into? If so is it sealed up or can air get in around it?

Can you post a pic so we caqn see how you installed it?

Something to keep in mind. When the 2007's first came out a good number of people had CEL's when they tried to install a SRI on them. Something about the new intake design likes to toss a CEL at you if everything isn't to its liking.
I think I'm just going to put the stock back in and go the K&N filter route. I probably did have some leaks around the hole with the "bracket" that I made.

I'm not going to post a pic because I don't want to put my atrocity of a bracket up for judgment haha I'm almost positive I was over my head with this project.

I have an older E' which didn't come with a MAF sensor,but on most vehicles the MAF sensor will have an airflow direction arrow printed,or marked on it somewhere.
Wanna buy an intake for this "older E"?! haha

I paid special attention to keep it in the same direction of how it came out so I hope that isn't the issue. It could be off ever so slightly though. Like I said, I'm accepting defeat and going back to stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No thank you,I have the K&N Typhoon intake on my E'. :)
Good choice

Now my big question is who do I have to pay to turn off the check engine light and how much?! I was hoping it would just go off when the stock was back in but it didn't.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good choice

Now my big question is who do I have to pay to turn off the check engine light and how much?! I was hoping it would just go off when the stock was back in but it didn't.
Did you unhook the battery when you changed out the intake? The ECU needs to be reset, if you didn't unhook the battery, do so now, and wait a few mins, then plug back in and CEL should be gone, that's if you didn't already. If you put the MAF in wrong, the engine will stall usually, on some cars that is, and will only stay started for about a second.

And now, after rereading, it seems that you did not unhook the battery, because you said it's still on with the stock intake. Unhook the battery. Reinstall the new intake, and then plug the battery back up, it should be just fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you unhook the battery when you changed out the intake? The ECU needs to be reset, if you didn't unhook the battery, do so now, and wait a few mins, then plug back in and CEL should be gone, that's if you didn't already. If you put the MAF in wrong, the engine will stall usually, on some cars that is, and will only stay started for about a second.

And now, after rereading, it seems that you did not unhook the battery, because you said it's still on with the stock intake. Unhook the battery. Reinstall the new intake, and then plug the battery back up, it should be just fine.
Thanks! No I didn't unhook the battery but I will do so first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks! No I didn't unhook the battery but I will do so first thing in the morning.
AH!!!! THAT'S THE PROBLEM! Hooray! Simple fix! Unhook the battery and plug your newer intake up, it should work just fine! Or you can unplug it with the one you have now and the engine's ECU will reset and accept that as the stock intake. Same thing to switch to the newer or aftermarket, unplug the battery while you install, and then plug it back in when you're done and the engine ECU will accept it.

Also I'm open to any other ideas anyone has on how to mount the MAF sensor with VERY limited know how, I pull cable for a living, not fabricating haha
Also, when I did these projects on cars with those giant MAF's, i'd just hack the MAF part off the stock intake box, or find one in a junkyard, and hack the pipe section off of that, but it looks like you have it figured out. Just unhook the battery and your jerry-rigging will be just right.;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good advice Serj! I just unhooked the battery and we're all good! At least I can say I learned something out of this. After I got my jerry rig in, I decided I didn't like it very much anyway. I'd rather spend the money on the right stuff. I had an 01 Ford Focus that I rigged the hell out of when I was 16ish and got it out of my system haha

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks for the good advice Serj! I just unhooked the battery and we're all good! At least I can say I learned something out of this. After I got my jerry rig in, I decided I didn't like it very much anyway. I'd rather spend the money on the right stuff. I had an 01 Ford Focus that I rigged the hell out of when I was 16ish and got it out of my system haha
Your welcome.
Awesome that it all worked out. were you trying to put an aftermarket intake on it? I've seen people go to great lengths to do it. Even I have, it always works, but man, when I hook a sensor up backwards accidently and the car won't start... i freak out a little. :D "dude... that wasn't even supposed to happen" moment.

Just make sure in the future, while you swap the intake, disconnect the battery, and when you put the intake in, the battery plugs back in, and the ECU will already be reset for you. Happy modifying!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts