Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car the a service department yesterday after a week of no A/C. I was told my compressor was locked up, my clutch was burnt, I needed to replace the drier and expansion valve.

My question is, is it possible with basic skills and mechanical tools to replace those parts on my own and have a service department flush, evac and recharge the system?

The labor costs way more than the parts, which is no surprise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a handyman/tinkerer type of repair. Yes you can replace the compressor, tubing, evaporator and so on but charging and checking them requires specialized tools to fill, lubricate and test the system.

My son is a mechanic and I helped him replace the compressor on his F250 Super Duty 4X4 turbodiesel and it. He borrowed the evacuator/charger system and did the job in two hours, but he knows the job.

Take it to a specialized shop, get it done and enjoy the cold air.

streakr

·
Registered
536 Posts
A/C Replacement

I concur with streakr. This job is not as simple or as basic as let's say, changing your oil. You do need specialized tools, equipment and training to accomplish this task. I would also suggest that you take it to a professional and have it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a handyman/tinkerer type of repair. Yes you can replace the compressor, tubing, evaporator and so on but charging and checking them requires specialized tools to fill, lubricate and test the system.

My son is a mechanic and I helped him replace the compressor on his F250 Super Duty 4X4 turbodiesel and it. He borrowed the evacuator/charger system and did the job in two hours, but he knows the job.

streakr

Couldn't agree more. That's why there are shops specifically for A/C. My bud wanted to try this as well on changing the compressor, tubing, A/C evaporator but at the end of the day he still decided to take it to a shop to finally fixed it. It could cost you more if you would try doing it on your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a handyman/tinkerer type of repair. Yes you can replace the compressor, tubing, A/C Evaporator and so on but charging and checking them requires specialized tools to fill, lubricate and test the system.

streakr
Nice bump ndrewoods. But good advice. Take it to specialized shops, others may not agree but you could save money by doing so. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts