Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure who did I it how, but one of he posts that get screwed into, behind the center vent, broke off. More than half the height of the post. Now the vents push into the dash whenever we touch them.

Other than buy a new one, any fix ideas?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Product Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Door Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would probably see if there was a threaded insert that would fit into the post.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably see if there was a threaded insert that would fit into the post.
I don't think there's enough post depth left to put anything into, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Can you post a product so I can confirm we are thinking about the same thing?

·
Registered
725 Posts
maybe I’m making it too complex. A zip tie would probably work fine.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
2,025 Posts
Use some plastic weld to make a new boss to screw into. Or get a cylindrical piece of plastic, remove what's left of the old post, then use the plastic weld to glue the piece of plastic in there, drill a small hole in it for the screw.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use some plastic weld to make a new boss to screw into. Or get a cylindrical piece of plastic, remove what's left of the old post, then use the plastic weld to glue the piece of plastic in there, drill a small hole in it for the screw.
you mean the product, like JB Weld epoxy, or you mean the plastic weld tool?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yes, I mean the product. I've repaired tail light housings using it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
We came up with flattening out (dremel) the damaged post flush with the neighboring piece's top edge, drillling through the damaged hole, and simply running a bolt through, with extra nuts or washers to get correct spacing, lock washers, and done. It's not like there is any reason he would need to ever remove the vent from the trim. But jb weld sounds like fun. I haven't done it either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
👆 what he said. I still owe you for the hardware tho.

Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tints and shades

xacto shaved flat base and side wall wing cut off

Automotive tire Hood Tire Bumper Material property

fixed! had to get creative ;) to get screw in upside down. nut was too big to fit under, so had to do everything upside down.
bottom to top
bolt, split washer, /, nut, nut, nut, washer, /, split washer

Automotive lighting Fixture Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper

here's the other side starting to break
should I take screw out, jb weld, then put screw back in after dry? save trouble before it breaks. felt solid.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
While you've got it out, go ahead and JB it. Once dry, you'll probably want to drill a pilot hole for the screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts