Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the entire license plate holder off the front bumper since you don't need a front license plate in this state, and was left with these two screw holes that looked ugly. Probably not noticeable to anyone who doesn't care (anyone but myself lol) but it bothered me. I searched Google and these forums but could not find a definitive answer to how to patch the holes up, so I figured I'd make a thread about how I solved this issue. Not a technical solution at all but there's nothing on the forum about it (that I could find...) so I figured why not? It's cheap, and there's gotta be some people out there who prefer the frontlicenseplateless look besides myself.

Before pic:

See? Ugly.

I went to the store and picked up some black silicone sealant (~US$6). I cut off the excess plastic that was poking out (on the bumper), caused by whatever drill put the screw holes in, and then filled the holes with the black silicone. It takes 24+ hours for it to cure, so tomorrow I will take a bit of sandpaper and file it down. Yeah, really simple and dumb, but it's gonna work I swear. I'll post some "After" pictures when it's done.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
You could always just drill the hole out and fit a couple of these in there.

IMO, I think the plugs would look nicer than a patch of different shade of black rubber.
But I've never tried it since I still have to have a front plate. If I ever move to a state where there is no front plate, taking care of those holes will be first on my "to-do list".

Hope it turns out nice. Post pics when done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Two words, two versions...Vanity plate.....euro plate!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Frozen: Yeah, I considered plugs... but what I'm going for is a smooth look, so it looks like there weren't even holes in the first place. IMO a slightly different color black in two spots that are about 1/8th of an inch in diameter is less noticeable than plugs.

Also, I don't trust my drilling skills enough to start busting out my drill on my brand new E haha :cool:

Sprunch: I do like the yellow plates... but I prefer the minimalistic look.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
It should look pretty decent when you're done. You could of also used some black hot glue instead of the silicone.:cool:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
take a razor blade to it to make the hole flush. I have the exp black one instead and you hardly see the holes.....ding ding ding. replc it with a new black one= no hole

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well one of the holes came out pretty good, the other got some sort of a weird air pocket in it so I need to patch it again. No pictures yet because it's raining cats and dogs here and I don't have a waterproof cam or a good enough flash.

·
Registered
52 Posts
at this point (time, effort, cost of silicone etc) wouldn't it have been just as easy to buy a new one for about $43 shipped from HandA?

(sorry to be such a spoil sport)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hell no. Ever heard of sweat equity? :D Removing and mounting a new bumper would probably be just as much effort, if not more. Not to mention the added cost. Not really much effort involved with my method anyway...

1. Buy the tube.
2. Squeeze the tube.
3. Pretty bumper.

:)

I think I may want to hit it with some touch up paint. My only problem is finding a right shade of very very very dark grey. Hell I might just use some sort of a industrial strength permanent marker. Then again, maybe I'm just being too OCD about this one little thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts