Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
It means there is a fault in or related to the transmission. A scan test is required to determine a starting point for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
121 Posts
BAD news. Don't drive it until you get it checked. Flashing "D" or flashing check engine light = STOP.

If not, bring comfortable shoes. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. This is what I feared. Not a good time financially for large car repairs. Already had my starter replaced twice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1) Check the transmission fluid for level, any burnt smell or look, 2) have someone pull the fault codes. Small investment in time and $$ in attempt to prevent something larger. You might get lucky?

What state are you in, nearest large city? Maybe someone can recommend a trusted shop who can check it for you?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Many reasons, all stored in computer.
Ours came on after a short trip with the ebrake on, cleared and no further issues.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You may just need to replace a bad sensor, that's how I got rid of the flashing D.
Thanks for the replies. This is what I feared. Not a good time financially for large car repairs. Already had my starter replaced twice.
You may just need to replace a bad sensor, that's how I got rid of the flashing D.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Element EX
8 Posts
Just had mine replaced 3 days ago. Had the flashing D intermittently for weeks and then constantly for another week. Had the code pulled. As stated above, it WAS P0847. Minor repair. The hard part will be finding an honest mechanic who will not try to tell you its something its not. (almost happened to me) The part was $100 (dealership) and labor at a local mechanic was $50. It's literally a plug and play fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know what it means when your drive light is flashing?
Did you back out of somewhere and put it into drive while it was still rolling backwards? I did this once and the "D" started to flash. I parked it overnight and drove it the next day without any flashing "D" recurring. That was several months ago and have had no flashing D since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what it means when your drive light is flashing?
Sorry abt. your light flashing. As others have mentioned, it is important to get the code(s) read to find out more: especially if it is because of a major problem.
My 2005 E had several episodes of "D" indicator light flashing, but each time I checked for a code, there was none - and the flashing stopped when I restarted the car next time. I don't know if it was a temporarily loose wire. The last time it happened, several months ago, I thought I would trace the sensor wires to see if any were loose- but since it stopped, I didn't do anything further.
I hope your problem is an easy fix - or just goes away.
Best wishes, David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts