Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit the Element at the dealership, and was very happy with what i saw. I will most likely be buying one within the next couple of months, or when my current car breaks down, whichever comes first.
Overall it was great. Leg room was a little tight driving (I'm 6'5), but not to the point of being uncomfortable.
The biggest problem i saw was this:
I was kneeling on the spare tire cover, trying to put the back seats up from the rear. My knee was just to the left of the handle for the spare cover. As I put all my body weight on that knee (I'm 250 lbs), I heard a cracking sound. When the dealer and i took the cover off to look at it, we noticed that the plastic crossbars on the bottom side of the cover had cracked. I'm pretty dissapointed in this. Has anybody else experienced this?
I'm thinking if I do buy an element, i'm going to have a diamond-plate cover custom made to replace the plastic one...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Humm, never ran across that problem, yet. I can see that happening. When you use the cover as a table (with the table kit), they say the weight limit is about 50 some odd pounds.

I would say, start with the cargo tray, it is rubber, but it might spread out the weight a bit, and it is custom fit to the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about using the cargo tray. That would probably do the trick, the only drawback is that i'd prefer something that looks like the natural floor, not an add-on like a tray. but in this case i may just have to go with function over style...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, the add on cargo tray does not look that bad. It is not smooth like in the pictures, it has some texture to it, like the diamond plate you are talking about. It is no where near as strong, but it may just do it for you. It does fit behind the seats, so the only issue I can see, is if you take out the seats, or flip them up, out of the way, you have a tray in the back, not a level floor. The tray does not secure down, it just sits in place.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am sure that once enought Elements get on the road, there will be plenty of after market things available, and I am sure that the back floor will be something that they will address, but not yet. They are going to wait till more and more Elements are sold before they come out with something.

Remember, we have some of the 1st ones out there. While it would be great to have everything, and now, it just won't happen.

I would say if sales keep going for the Element the way they are, there will be plenty of add ons that we can find in the next 6 months or so. I am sure one of the 1st is going to be something for that floor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the dealer saw it, she basically said "Well, looks like something honda is gonna have to redesign for next year's model..."

I agree. I'm sure plenty of aftermarket stuff will be available, it's just gonna take some time...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
that is shocking especially since the ads talk about people STANDING In the back through the rear moon roof to change.. humm...

now I am not a small person, and I have been hoping all over mine.. so far I had not experieinced this, and i think i would be disgusted by that as well..

perhaps a melding of minds there could be a way to reinforce the crossbar under the tire cover. Any takers on that idea???

·
Registered
25 Posts
RE trying to make the cover stronger: The cover is designed to be supporte dmy the spare tire - note that it is contoured for same. Keep the tire inflated to 60lbs and it should be just fine. The only other way would be to leave the tire out and make a cover with a thick beam!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
wayland: so it is possible that the tire was not in the compartment or not fully inflated, that could be the reason??

loserflame: was the tire missing, or not fully inflated on the element you were checking out, where the tire cover snapped?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Humm, in thinking, a quick redesign for the cover might be to put some metal on the underside, such as the old x tire iron. That might have worked to make it a bit stronger, or give it more support.

I know I have my spare inflated fully, and the cover does seem a bit weak.

I am sure that Honda will correct this with the next version of the Element

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I was kneeling on the spare tire cover... crack. Definitely, very unfortunate. It’s the thin (flimsy) reinforcing webs on the underside of the cover. It was not a fluke… easily reproduced… with ever weakening results, I’m sure. My spare tire is the standard limited duty affair… and it’s fully inflated. I’m thinking that if I put a filler/spacer of some kind on top of the tire to help support the cover, I’ll be okay. Probably wouldn’t have to be very thick. I’d sure hate to stand on the center of the cover with no spare under it! PS, I weigh about 180 lbs.

Otherwise, I really like this car… (52 yr old male, Shoreline mist EX)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same here. The tire is full and I had a small crack sound while I was knelling on it to hand a seat up for some space. So far that is the only fault I have found with the car. Perhaps Honda will be kind enough to replace it if enough people report it to their dealers. I plan on adding a stiff foam pad under mind to help spread the support.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
szacherau: I would like to know if the foam pad does help.

Please everyone do be sure to notify your dealer & honda about the tire cover, this should be something they put on a recall list for!

I plan to fax Honda with a list of concerns or questions that have been popping up (mentioned onthis site) and I will let you know of the reply, if any, that I receive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here as well. Just kneeling in the rear to flip up the seats. CRACK! I couldn't believe it. Owned it 1 day and this. I was considering cutting a plywood to fit and covering it with carpet to match the floor mats. If it works it should spred the weight across the lid rather than allowing it to flex too much at 1 point.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That spare tire cover doesn't fit - it's too filmsy ! It lets down the rest of the vehicle. I will change it out to something - if I have to have something customer made, but those things crack right off.

In my area, they don't have any E's in the showroom. Now, isn't that unusual - a car that the inside sells it, yet there are none opened up in the showroom. I thought right away it may be because if people start crawling around in there that spare tire cover is going to crack, snapple, and pop - even with kids on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts