Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's not the most elegant solution, but a little rope and a 8x10 tarp was all it took to crack the case of the shoddy spare cover. It's now solid enough not only to stand and kneel on, but I can actually jump on it without a single crack or creak! (My bathroom scale says I weigh 171 lbs today... maybe steak for dinner isn't such a great idea after all... )

First I started with a little rope, wound into the spare's wheel well. It's probably not strictly neccesary, but I needed someplace to put it anyway!

Then I took an 8x10 ft. tarp, folded it bunch of times, then tucked the top corners into the spaces around the wheel. (Otherwise the hooks that hold the back of the spare cover won't fit)

Then just flip the cover back down! You only need to press gently to get the cover to snap into place. I think a 10x12 tarp would probably make it too high to clip down. As it is, the left side sticks up a wee bit, but I'm not too worried about it. If you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't notice it.

The cover is definitely solid, plus I get concealed storage for a couple of things I will always want in the truck! The tarp was about $8 from Walmart and the rope cost $6 on sale from Fred Meyers.

What, don't believe the cover is strong? Well fine! Let's see you try THIS on your unreinforced spare cover! (Quicktime 6 required to see the video)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Most excellent. Thanks!

I have a tarp that i bought some time ago and I will try to place it in as you have when I get my "E".

Iskie

·
Registered
338 Posts
That is too cool ! That'll save me some $$$ - I was going to do diamond plate - and this won't add any weight (to speak of).

Way to Go Aykew !

Now, I can go off the diet, and REALLY let myself go.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey, Aykew, how much rope is in there? :?:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ummm... about 33 feet? It was just over 2/3s of the package I bought, but I don't remember how much the package was! I'm going to guess 50 feet, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool for you, ALMONDOG! :D Don't worry, no thunder stolen. I'm not trying to be the first, just helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I discovered similar. After first hearing the "cracking" of the spare tire cover on my brand new Element, I checked all around the underside of the tire cover without finding any damage :lol:

I figured that it was flexing down onto the metal wheel rim. I just covered the spare tire with a towel and problem solved. No more "cracking" sounds!

Russell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts