Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about transitioning Gidget to a new food. She's been on Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato for the past few years. Prior to that she was on Solid Gold's Hund 'n Flocken which I started her on as a puppy.

A couple friends are pleased with Flint River's Trout & Sweet Potato -- a highly regarded food that's delivered to your home.

Gidget will turn eight years old next summer so I'm also considering Flint River's senior formula with Glucosamine and Chondratin.

Any EOC-ers with Flint River experience or insights?

http://www.flint-river-dog-food.com/dogcatalog.htm

:)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Used one of their flavors (I think it was a lamb and rice) for many years for a dog who needed a food with no wheat. It is sold locally here in the Atlanta by Red Bandanna Pet Food stores, you may be able to find a local dealer in the DC area. My dogs did great on it!! I think it is pretty good quality stuff!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
You didn't mention it as an issue, but just an FYI...Wellness makes a grain-free line of food too.

I had my husky-shepherd on the Wellness senior formula.

Megan occassionally get the 97% Salmon, also grain-free.

All my dogs have gotten the wellness bar treats. Today I was at Crunchies and saw that Wellness has an allergy formula Simple Food.

I like the Wellness products. I'll watch this thread to learn more about the brand that you are considering.

-g

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We use the Flint River Ranch original kibble for our two French Bulldogs (one who has severe food allergies that cause her to itch and get dry/red skin) for morning feeding. Evening they get turkey/rice/peas/carrots home cooked (so we can add in a dry supplement for the allergies - Dinovite - fantastic stuff for allergies, including their shampoos for skin issues). Flint River is great stuff. We order direct from Flint River (not one of their distributors), with free shipping and it always arrives very quickly, in two to three day.

http://www.frrco.com/

http://www.dinovite.com/

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a big fan of grain free foods. I rotate for Baxter, since he's prone to allergies and prolonged exposure to lamb made that protein a problem for him.

We use:
CORE Wellness
CORE Wellness Ocean
Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Bison & Venison based)
Taste of the Wild Wetlands (Duck based)
Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken
Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit
Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey

I rotate so he gets a different protein with each bag. Bags generally last a little over a month or so. I supplement by freezing wet food (the 95% or 100% protein kind) into Kongs. He gets a couple Kongs per week as a treat and once in a while, he gets a raw bone or turkey neck as an extra special treat. :)

By the way, I've been ordering from K9cuisine.com for years and am very happy with them. When your order is over $50 (and when you feed the good stuff and have a larger dog, it usually is), the FedEx shipping is free. No lugging food bags!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't heard of that particular food. We have been using Bil-Jac for about a year for our wire fox terrier with terrible skin allergies. It seems to work the best out of anything we have tried. But we are always on the lookout for something better. :grin:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm a big fan of grain free foods. I rotate for Baxter, since he's prone to allergies and prolonged exposure to lamb made that protein a problem for him.

We use:
CORE Wellness
CORE Wellness Ocean
Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Bison & Venison based)
Taste of the Wild Wetlands (Duck based)
Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken
Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit
Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey

I rotate so he gets a different protein with each bag. Bags generally last a little over a month or so. I supplement by freezing wet food (the 95% or 100% protein kind) into Kongs. He gets a couple Kongs per week as a treat and once in a while, he gets a raw bone or turkey neck as an extra special treat. :)

By the way, I've been ordering from K9cuisine.com for years and am very happy with them. When your order is over $50 (and when you feed the good stuff and have a larger dog, it usually is), the FedEx shipping is free. No lugging food bags!
Hey Jeannine, we are just getting ready to rotate too, - do it every couple of months - thanks for the list, will try some of these. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
No experience with Flint River Ranch.

I use Orijen Senior for my 13 year old Border Collie and Orijen 6 Fish for my Siberians, both are grain free. The senior has glucosamine and chondroitin. I try to rotate every 6 months or so and use www.dogfoodanalysis.com to stick with high quality (6 or 5 star rated) kibble that's grain free because my pack has sensitive stomachs for the most part.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love Orijen, it's just a bit more expensive than my normal brands. If you're in Canada, you can probably get it for much less than down here!

I use DogFoodAnalysis.com and DogFoodProject.com to make my decisions. I've heard that DogFoodAnalysis is just one, lone person. They don't update often, so I take the recommendations with a grain (ha!) of salt.

If you're going to be a grain-free feeder, use the Dog Food Project to become familiar with the different ingredients and you'll be flipping bags and dismissing formulas so quickly in the store that people will wonder what you're doing. :)

By the way, don't you love how people feel so as ease telling you what you should feed your dog at the pet stores? I don't respond, but almost every time I've done a little research mission at the store that carries the greatest variety (meaning the premium grain-free foods and the lower priced stuff), someone decides my reading of labels means I'm clueless. :roll:

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Brother (lives in Alberta) used to swear by Orijen - but their bad quality control, and lack of response on pet owner complaints lately had him switch to other brands. He and a bunch of others found tons of bone chips in their Orijen dog food, and the company wouldn't even respond.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=34536
I'm on the golden forum and I remember that going down. I haven't heard about any problems since, though.

I've been very happy with Wellness CORE's fish formula, so I don't think we'll be trying any other fish brand at this point. Thankfully, when Baxter hasn't done well on a food, it's been just a "Baxter" thing. I've never been involved with a recall or bad batch. I'm crossing my fingers that I never do. I can't imagine how upsetting it would be!

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple friends are pleased with Flint River's Trout & Sweet Potato -- a highly regarded food that's delivered to your home.
We've used nothing but FRR, for 5+ years - great food, and our three Weims are on the Fish & Chips as well. Coats look fantastic, and zero reactions. My wife runs a Weim rescue, and we've recommended it to hundreds of folks - never a complaint.

Gidget will turn eight years old next summer so I'm also considering Flint River's senior formula with Glucosamine and Chondratin.
Rather than glucosamine formulated food or supplements - you might consider simply adding pure glucosamine HCL. We've been buying it for years from the following place - way cheaper than we've found elsewhere, when bought in bulk. It's 100% pure glucosamine HCL, and the proceeds go to a worthy cause (greyhound rescue):

Glucoasmine HCL

It's been great for several of our senior Weims - very noticeable difference in their movement and comfort. Results can take several weeks to appear.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We've used nothing but FRR, for 5+ years - great food, and our three Weims are on the Fish & Chips as well. Coats look fantastic, and zero reactions. My wife runs a Weim rescue, and we've recommended it to hundreds of folks - never a complaint.

Rather than glucosamine formulated food or supplements - you might consider simply adding pure glucosamine HCL. We've been buying it for years from the following place - way cheaper than we've found elsewhere, when bought in bulk. It's 100% pure glucosamine HCL, and the proceeds go to a worthy cause (greyhound rescue):

Glucoasmine HCL

It's been great for several of our senior Weims - very noticeable difference in their movement and comfort. Results can take several weeks to appear.
Thanks, Amba! Gidget's tried out a friend's stash of Flint River senior and she gobbles it down. So I'll likely be ordering that soon and start the transition.

Will look into that glucosamine HCL -- thanks again.

HC

·
Registered
118 Posts
No experience with Flint River, but we avoid anything with the words "corn" or "wheat". Am a big fan of Whole Dog Journal (same philosophy as Consumer Reports). Analysis and product reviews are awesome. Just fyi, Flint River is not listed in WDJ's Approved Dry Foods of 2010 list. Solid Gold and Wellness are.

I've been thinking about transitioning Gidget to a new food. She's been on Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato for the past few years. Prior to that she was on Solid Gold's Hund 'n Flocken which I started her on as a puppy.

Any EOC-ers with Flint River experience or insights?

http://www.flint-river-dog-food.com/dogcatalog.htm

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, to make the WDJ list of approved foods now requires greater transparency of the manufacturing process which some brands are not yet satisfying. I commend WDJ for their strict standard.

In February, Gidget transitioned to Solid Gold's Holistique Blendz. Did the transition over three weeks. She eats it just as well as she did Wellness and I haven't noticed any effects -- bad or good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts