Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is an install I just did with many many thanks to posts from EOC!

I did the Valor RM-921C. I got it on Amazon for $308. Crutchfield has it for $449. The instructions were a C- at best. The damn manual had typos and it looked to be a rough translation from jibberish to english. Again, many thanks to posts on EOC that got me through. I did it first time with no hang ups. Just remember, the GREEN AND RED wire is all you need to connect your dome light hook up to (and a ground). If your dvd monitor has a polarity switch - the ELEMENT IS NEGATIVE!!!!

I used add-a-circuits to pick up power from the hazard lights in the engine compartment fuse box. To get my wires to the fuse box (through the firewall) I used advice from this post. Although I did not do it exactly like that. I just stuck my wire through the grommet, then I opened the driiver's door and fished up the wire with a coat hanger. From there I fed it to the engine compartment via the open fender well. Everything fits snug! The grommet was then smeared with marine adhesive to prevent water coming in.

I inserted a 8 x 10 inch piece of luan board over the factory domelight hole in the headliner. I then bolted that to the two factory holes where the domelight was connected. In the pics you dont see the washers I later used. I also later cut out the middle of the board to feed the wires. That was about the worst of it. The rest is all basic. This monitor has a dvd player built in with FM modulation which works pretty good - better than I thought. I may later run an audio feed to the radio, but right now it's good enough for the kids. If I want to watch I movie Ill just use the wireless headphones.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics

Here are the finished pics and one of my 2004 Ex AWD after I picked it up last Monday. Since then I've replaced the cabin air filters and had the front windows tinted to 35%.

oh......WHERE DO I GET AN EOC STICKER?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headliner info

I searched this forum for a week and found no detailed info on headliner take down. I just wanted to pass on advice that you DO NOT have to take it down to do a single overhead install. I'd be glad to pass on stuff I did if it helps anyone.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Great job, that looks awesome, thanks for posting. I did the same thing on the 07 Ody we had. I'd do it to the E if our daughter was younger, really nice to have when you travel withe young children.:cool: Drew:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pilot

Yes, so true! We have one in our 03 Pilot also. When we tell our two year old its time to leave she says, "car! car! toons toons !!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently installed a 9.5" flip down with a DVD player and FM mod. I fed the wires using a hanger above the head liner and bolted the flip down to the dome light. I paid 165 plus shipping from MP3player.com. Quality is impressive, picture is sharp and you have an option of playing the sound through the flip down's speaker, IR headphones or throught the radio. Here is a link.

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/RM-905DVD.html

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
sweet. can i get more info about headliner removal? it looks like you did not take out most of the interior. i thought most of the interior would have to be removed to take down the headliner. i might wrap mine in suede, depending on how difficult it is to get the headliner down. any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Headliner

Headliner was very easy to deal with. I dont know if you have airbags in your A pillars if so that could be a pain. I guess you are supposed to hit the top of the pillar with a rubber mallet thus breaking the top one time use clip. If you dont have the airbags - they just pull out. You will have to get a new one from a dealer or HandA. Here is a post on that. You also need to take out that center console on the roof (remove the lenses from the lights and there are 2 screws behind that). The console can then be pulled out.

The rest of the trim can just be tugged on and unscrewed. Ive seen your ride - I think you could take it from here ;-).

The dome light cover pops off and there are two screws (which also serve as the ground).

THE WAY I DID IT FOR MINE WAS.....

Removed roof handle grip things (2 screws each).

Just removed the passenger door weatherstripping by pulling, took off the center hinge cover (on roof) again by pulling. I then pulled off the passenger rear window cladding (no screws just pulling). I then had enough access to the domelight opening to run my wires and manage the board I attached to the dome light opening.

There are also trusses or supports running across the roof which allow you to mount things to without damaging the roof.

Clear?

I also bought the service manual on Ebay. It gives real detailed instructions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is a dumb question. Would the power already provided to the dome light work? It appears to me that there is an always on circuit and a circuit switched by the doors.
I'm considering the Innovatek RM-905.
Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ktb

The power supplied to the dome light 'might' work. There were several posts on here that said not to use it. Physically, the power wire from the tv is larger than the power wire to the dome light. That right there told me the tv would be drawing too much power through that skinny line. If that is the case, youd be going through fuses time and time again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a 12.1 w/dvd I will be installing in my gal's E soon. This post helped a bunch. Monitor I have has terrible instructions as well. How thick is the board that you guys used?

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is so cool.
I did mine only 5 years ago.:lol:
With a 11inch system.
I have a 27inch system in my TearDrop.
Cecil.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
nic pics Rawwoo

hey, nice job. can you be more specific as to how you ran your power supply from the back cigarette lighter. thnx. my son needs his own entrtainment. thnks a lot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thickness

How thick is the board that you guys used?
I used 1/4 inch luon board. Rigid yet easy to bend. Bought a 2'x2' piece from home depot. If ya didnt know, luon is the consistency of the cheap panel board found on the walls in 70's style basements. Make sure to use washers around all screws so they dont pull through.

My monitor has been in for about 5 months now ZERO problems, not loose, doesnt jiggle - I musta done something right!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Head Room

One note, I am 6' 7". My head does come a little close to the corner of the TV when it's down. It's not a big problem but something to keep in mind. I did not think of that when I put it in. It doesnt matter though because there is really no other place to put a flip down & headrest monitors were too big a pain and too much $$.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i want to do this but am getting the same feeling I am getting about my stero plans, I did all this stuff to my civic and accord but frankly am scared to do on my "new" car.. I just wish i was still clueless as to what I could screw up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.