861 - 880 of 957 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just wanted to post that I finally finished this mod

For my '04 EX I had to:

1. Buy an '07-'08 Acura TL switchblade key/fob - $45
2. Buy an '03-'05 Honda blank transponder key - $10
3. break open the honda transponder key and extract the transponder "pill" - $free
4. disassemble the Acura keyfob and replace the stock transponder with the honda one - $free
5. get the Acura key blade cut and programmed to work with my car - $75
6. get the Acura key fob programmed to work with my keyless entry - $free

so yeah... a total of about $130 to get this done - not bad considering that i needed a second key (my car only came with one) and the dealer wanted $100 just to get a plain regular key made 8)

but now that i'm using it, it feels a bit heavy and bulky in my pocket, so i'm considering going back to my normal key :roll:
Where did you get the key cut for $75?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Where did you get the key cut for $75?
Order Content
Product ID Product Name Price Quantity Total
35111-SEP-306-Acura KEY, IMMOBILIZER & TRANSMITTER(MEMORY 1) (BLANK) $59.63
(Not Taxable) 1 $59.63
35118-STK-A01-Acura COVER, MODULE $8.28
(Not Taxable) 1 $8.28
Subtotal Amount : $67.91
Discount : $0.00
Shipping (FedEx - 2day) : $10.74
Tax Amount : $0.00
Current Total : $78.65​

I bought my 2008 TL key & 2011 RDX cover for $78.65 shipped in April last year from hondapartsunlimited.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Order Content
Product ID Product Name Price Quantity Total
35111-SEP-306-Acura KEY, IMMOBILIZER & TRANSMITTER(MEMORY 1) (BLANK) $59.63
(Not Taxable) 1 $59.63
35118-STK-A01-Acura COVER, MODULE $8.28
(Not Taxable) 1 $8.28
Subtotal Amount : $67.91
Discount : $0.00
Shipping (FedEx - 2day) : $10.74
Tax Amount : $0.00
Current Total : $78.65​

I bought my 2008 TL key & 2011 RDX cover for $78.65 shipped in April last year from hondapartsunlimited.
Will this list of parts work for a 2010 EX? Will I need to salvage a transponder from one of my original keys? Not sure if this had been covered before but I've been trying to read all posts after 2009 to find the answer but there is a lot here to go through.

·
12,179 Posts
Will this list of parts work for a 2010 EX? Will I need to salvage a transponder from one of my original keys? Not sure if this had been covered before but I've been trying to read all posts after 2009 to find the answer but there is a lot here to go through.

The OEM keys and remotes are the same for all 2007-2011's.

This will work on your 2010.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awesome!

Thank You!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Key cut and program quotes

How come I feel I'm getting fleeced here. I've called around for the cost to recut a key and program a replacement FOB and dealerships here in Albany NY are quoting me between $100 to $135 EACH on labor for the key and FOB programming. That's $200 to $270 for labor alone - not including the $22 key and $133 for a new FOB.

Holy smokes. I want to do the conversion, thus I won't need to pay all that for the parts, but the labor. My wallet is going to catch :evil:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got my switchblade up and running...

So I bought the parts I needed from Honda Parts Unlimited:

35111-SEP-306-Acura KEY, IMMOBILIZER & TRANSMITTER(MEMORY 1) (BLANK) $63.82
35118-STK-A01-Acura COVER, MODULE $8.86

It took some convincing at the Acura dealership from them to cut and program the key but they did it for $47.50.

So about $120 and I am good to go but I think it was worth it for this cool little mod. I am curious though about one thing, is there any way to swap the Acura badge on the back of the key with a Honda one? The size and shape of each badge is different so I am open to ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
plasti-dip the acura emblem on your key :grin:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm new to the site, but I do have a question about this mod. I've read through a good 20 pages of this thread but it has become quite convoluted.

So, simply put. If I order a 2008 TL Key, Mem 1 or Mem 2 all I have to do is bring it to the dealer to have cut and reprogrammed and it will work. I don't care about the extra button, I just would rather the key+fob as one.

Regarding reprogramming. Does the dealer have to do this, or can I do it following the steps you can find online?

Is this right?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I'm new to the site, but I do have a question about this mod. I've read through a good 20 pages of this thread but it has become quite convoluted.

So, simply put. If I order a 2008 TL Key, Mem 1 or Mem 2 all I have to do is bring it to the dealer to have cut and reprogrammed and it will work. I don't care about the extra button, I just would rather the key+fob as one.

Regarding reprogramming. Does the dealer have to do this, or can I do it following the steps you can find online?

Is this right?
Cant answer the question without knowing what year E you have.

As for the programming, the fob needs to be programmed twice.
Once so it will open your doors and shut off the alarm, you can do this.
The second time needs to be done by the dealer so the chip inside the
fob will work with your ignition kill circuit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cant answer the question without knowing what year E you have.

As for the programming, the fob needs to be programmed twice.
Once so it will open your doors and shut off the alarm, you can do this.
The second time needs to be done by the dealer so the chip inside the
fob will work with your ignition kill circuit.

Thanks for the info. It's a 2007 SC.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts

Is this right?
Thanks for the info. It's a 2007 SC.
Finish filling out your profile so we dont have to ask what year and model E
you have!!!!

So yes, you can buy an 04 - 08 TL flip key and it will work with your SC.
I have one and it works flawlessly with my 08 SC!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Since people are getting RDX covers, is the RDX not identical? I'm confused. It seems that the ridgeline is the cheapest way to go since you can get the Key for $20.

Anyone know how much it is to get just the metal piece for the key? Might be cheap to get a used TL or RDX FOB and replace the Key. Anyone have a part number for that?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since people are getting RDX covers, is the RDX not identical? I'm confused. It seems that the ridgeline is the cheapest way to go since you can get the Key for $20.

Anyone know how much it is to get just the metal piece for the key? Might be cheap to get a used TL or RDX FOB and replace the Key. Anyone have a part number for that?
In case you were still wondering:

-The transponders in the RDX keys are not a match for the Element, whereas the transponders in the TL keys match the Elements. It needs to match in order to be programmed to work with the immobilizer. The RDX cover only have 2 buttons which eliminates the non-working trunk button on the TL cover. It's a nice touch, why not spend the extra $12 since you've gone this far.

-I've priced out used keys, its not worth the savings to get a grimy used key and go through the trouble of trying to replace the blade. From what I can tell, Honda/Acura does not have a p/n specifically for the key blade.

-Ridgeline keys are cheaper than the TL flip keys but they are different. The ridgeline to are not flip keys. See borrowed pics below:

Ridgeline key on left, TL key on right

RDX cover without trunk button:

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thread has so much valuable information, it's overwhelming. Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the 88 pages of posts!

I've got a 2003 EX, and it looks like my dealer installed keyless entry (not the factory). I don't see Keyless Entry listed on the original sticker, and my fob was manufactured by ALPS (P/N 08E61-S5D-1M001)

I'd like to get the TL Flip key, or at least the ridgeline key... I know I'll have to cannibalize a working key for the immo chip — no problems there.

But regarding keyless entry... Does anyone know which transmitters will work with the 2003 dealer-installed ALPS unit? I've read that the TL key doesn't work with this keyless entry module... Is the same true for a ridgeline or fit key?

If that's the case, has anyone had any success finding a 2004+ keyless module for their 2003 that would work?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, I'm going to try a little experiment... Based on this thread, the TL key will work with the OMRON factory keyless unit. The best I can tell, this is Honda P/N 38385-S9A-A01. I'm not sure if the pinout is the same as ALPS P/N 08E61-S5D-1M001 that I currently have, though. There's only one way to find out...

So, I've gone ahead and found a TL key (P/N 35111-SEP-306), and the OMRON keyless unit. The immo chip will come from a sacrificed valet key.

Hopefully this won't be a costly experiment!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok i been flipping through some of the pages and im reading diff things regarding the ridgeline key (some require swapping the transponder and some just take it stright to the dealer) i have a 2010 sc and i just got quoted $320 for 1 key with seperate controller 23 for the key ~180 for the seperate controller and 110 for programing
im interested in doing the ridgelinge key mod

861 - 880 of 957 Posts