Honda Element Owners Club banner

901 - 920 of 957 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I apologize if this has been answered but I've dug through this thread and I'm still not sure what the cheapest out the door way to do this is. If I have a donor Valet key and buy that $35 key off of eBay, do I have to pay for anything other than having the key cut? I keep seeing a reference to "programming yourself" but I'm not sure what this means.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help

Has anyone tried this mod on the 2004 ex? I have read through 40 pages of this thread and haven't seen anyone post about 04. I have seen 05 06 and 07. And if you have gotten it to work on the 04, do you donut the same way as the 05 and 06?

·
Registered
254 Posts
no flip key but key & keypad in same thing

i heard from a new found friend on here that he uses a Honda Ridgeline key that works with his Element. doesn't flip but the key and keypad are in the same package.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i heard from a new found friend on here that he uses a Honda Ridgeline key that works with his Element. doesn't flip but the key and keypad are in the same package.
Thanks for the compliments, folks. To answer your questions, the part number is 35111-SHJ-305. It should work for any '07+ Element. You just have to find a dealer that is willing to do it. For me, the Acura key seemed to be too much hassle for not that much gain. ORANGEE, I am in Pittsburg -- without the H! :)
-burnt toaster

i bought 2 at the same time, works great and honda of pasadena gave me a bit of a break on key price.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd steer clear from the ebay flip keys.. If I could do it all over again I'd go with the ridgeline key or Acura TL. I stopped using mines after it cracked at the neck when I went to turn the key.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a Ridgeline key with my 2004 Element EX, I bought a valet key and broke it apart for the immobilizer.

Here are the links to the ebay items I bought:

Ridgeline Key
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300993933412?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Valet Key
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380748557691?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Everything is fully functional with my element, doors unlock and car starts. It did cost me about $86 to have it programmed though. I think I will get a standard valet key next from Walmart and have them program it. I am told that costs about $30 total with tax, I do not know if they would've done this key and I did not want to take the time. I will not get another Ridgeline key or have one done for a while anyways. I did need a second key as I only had one in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
TL Flip key working on a 2008 sc

Has anyone tried this TL key with RDK faceplate on a 2008 SC? if so what are the part numbers for the items and what is the process, Wnat to buy key for my dad. Not so techy, Please help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does that $10 flip key use the same guts as the Type III separate fobs (just transplant the separate fob's guts into this new case)? If so, I've just solved my flip key quest. If not, then at least the flipper isn't $78 + possibly getting a rash of crap from my dealer (being a HI dealer, it's highly likely they're to-the-letter droids who pound modders down like proud nails in a floorboard). Let's hope so!

So fellas I have a confession -- all of the Honda communities that I belong to point to the EOC when referencing the flip-key mod for, not only Es, but Accords and other Hondas, including Type III immo cars... this is an amazing thread for a pretty cool mod. ;)

BTW, I have a Type III car in the family now -- a well-used '04 Civic -- besides the old '03 E (which may need to finally go to CL pastureland, sadly). I've done due diligence in reading about 86 pages of this gargantuan, mind-Cuisinarting thread... and managed to extract the following, pls feel free to correct:

-- the '04 Civics have a Type III immo

-- a programmed Type III key will need to donate its chip to replace the one in the TL key in order to get fuel pressure

My final question before I start stocking up parts and saving for the inevitable labor hit, is this (and sorry if this was covered in the 86 pages already, my brain is mush)... since the TL flipper is Type IV, does that matter when programming the door locks, or can I just use the HandA instructions to manually program it to play nice with my Type III Civic? If it doesn't matter, that answers my final question on the TL path to flip key ownership...

I'm also considering the Ridgeline path... so if there are any differences from the TL key, I'd love to hear them -- that is, if the two-button, $10 solution above doesn't work. :-D

My original key (got it from a CL sale) is stamped "F", and the fob's FCC ID is NHVWB1U523 -- it's a Canadian Civic EX. It's made by ALPS, so definitely Type III.

The stock fob's buttons for this car look amazingly similar to centerpunch's flip key -- if it's made to just house the OEM fob's guts, and I just get the key cut... I'm golden. But in case that's a bust, I'd like to figure out the TL way. ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally

I completed this DIY project last January. I bought a shell off ebay and the Ridgeline fob off ebay as well. I couldn't be happier with this DIY. The only thing is that it doesn't manually unlock the door, the key doesn't fit into the door lock. Only unlocks with the fob. I have tried shaving it down because the key initially didn't fit into the ignition but after 2 minutes of shaving it down with metal files it works perfectly. If the fob ever fails I have a key (that I took the transmitter out of) hidden on the outside/underneath of the Element). It will only open the door, not start it, because it's missing the transmitter.... Anyways ... here it is!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
This thread is old and long I know. So hard to find relevant information in here. I just bought a Ridgeline style key from eBay. I plan on removing the transponder pill from my OEM key and putting it in the new all-in-one key. How do you go about programming the keyless entry functions into these eBay keys? The one I bought says it's the whole thing not just the shell.

Can my stock keyless entry fob sacrifice it's guts into the eBay key? How much do they usually charge just to cut the key?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
yes, make sure the new transmitter can be accepted by your vehicle, then get the key cut to work doors and ignition, then transfer the chip from a working key to the new key. you don't want to sacrifice a key 'til you have a replacement.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gonna attempt this... So no my question is the Rdx/mdx has the flip out as well... is it possible just to use that?
RDX flip key mod don't last as long as Ridgeline mod. I had 2 of them before.
Spring in flip key will wear out just approx. one year of open/close, and it start stick out of case. It is also too easy to release when in the pocket, since the push button is not recessed.

901 - 920 of 957 Posts