Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reals? Why does my '06 floorboard look as though gremlins are trying to pop out of it? It's all bubbling and crazy looking. What's up, I know I can't be the only one. Or am I??:confused: BUMMED!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're not the only one. I had a homemade carpet set in mine and took it out one day to clean. Looks like gophers are tunneling under the plastic floor. All bubbled up, I'm guessing it looks like yours. I wonder if it's isolated to '06's (couldn't be!) since I've never seen a complaint about it before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, my '05 is showing off some bubbling as well, mainly in the front. Gophers and gremlins in abundance.

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is a common problem that most of us have or will soon be plagued with. Not sure what the cause is necessarily but thank God I have the E-Mats to keep it out of sight.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
How to cover the bubbling floor board !

I have it in my '03 floor. Looks like it got too hot and buckled or something. Any solutions out there?
I have to chime in on this one. This is one of the many reasons we developed the Complete Carpet Set. This happened to my 03 EX in the first year. It's like the floor just settled in. I have a picture of this on our ebay listing, Element Deluxe carpet set. It has the carpet rolled back and you can see what a difference our set makes. It makes your standard Element look like a SC and even better. The set is high quality product and you can remove it in a couple of minutes. We even developed a set for the SC owners to cover the 'E' from front to rear. Also note the savings for the EOC members. Visit our site for more information, and if you have any questions, please ask. Jerry/SCA

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been reading a ton of old threads on this subject and from what I gathered, there aren't very many permanent fixes. :-(

From day one, my 2008 Element has had a floor bubble where the floor starts sloping up in the passenger side front seat area. When you poke at it with your feet, it will push inward and then make a little sticky popping noise as it reshapes back out. It really pisses me off, but it's kind of out of sight so it's somewhat out of mind. Unfortunately, this last week, a more elongated bubble appeared behind my console in the rear passenger area... it looks like a gopher did a bit of tunneling back there. My brother had borrowed the E to go pick up a 40 pound mountain bike so I had wondered if maybe he had done something to push up the floor there, but from what I've been reading, people have been attributing this problem to heat. Humidity had also come up, so I also wonder if I should take more care to close my hatch.

I'm considering buying Elemats to hide and/or help treat the problem by protecting the floor from the sun. (Sorry, 'E'ccessories, but I bought my E in order to be carpet free.) If anyone has any new thoughts on this problem or has any solutions, please speak up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could take a piece of 4X8 1/2" plywood and cut it to fit! I have read great things about SoCal's carpet mats. I will probably get some in the future, but after just buying the car and fixing little things as it is used, I don't have the $300 to spend on a carpet.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
How to cover the bubbling floor board !

I've been reading a ton of old threads on this subject and from what I gathered, there aren't very many permanent fixes. :-(

From day one, my 2008 Element has had a floor bubble where the floor starts sloping up in the passenger side front seat area. When you poke at it with your feet, it will push inward and then make a little sticky popping noise as it reshapes back out. It really pisses me off, but it's kind of out of sight so it's somewhat out of mind. Unfortunately, this last week, a more elongated bubble appeared behind my console in the rear passenger area... it looks like a gopher did a bit of tunneling back there. My brother had borrowed the E to go pick up a 40 pound mountain bike so I had wondered if maybe he had done something to push up the floor there, but from what I've been reading, people have been attributing this problem to heat. Humidity had also come up, so I also wonder if I should take more care to close my hatch.

I'm considering buying Elemats to hide and/or help treat the problem by protecting the floor from the sun. (Sorry, 'E'ccessories, but I bought my E in order to be carpet free.) If anyone has any new thoughts on this problem or has any solutions, please speak up!
Brain Candy, No Problem, I know our custom carpet set isn't for everyone, but it does give you the best of both worlds. The hardest thing you have to do is raise the seats. It's easy to install and remove. It gives you comfort, cushion, and a finished plush look to your 'E'. It also helps with the interior acoustics, and road noise. Then when you need the plain factory floor, just remove it. While it's out just use your home upright vacuum on it. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is a great idea and within the next year I will pick up a set. For now I went the cheap -0- route. I went to Lowe's and bought a 5'X7' indoor/outdoor carpet, it is pretty thin but only $17. I pulled the interior pieces away from the wall a bit and took out the covers behind the front seats. I cut the carpet to match. I put about 4" under the side panels around the door area, under the running boards, and then tucked about 6" under the spare tire cover. I also used some small bungees to hold the carpet taught under the spare tire cover. It looks pretty good as long as you don't look too close. I figure if it lasts 6-12 months until I save up some coin for the real deal, sweet! Only took about 2 hours, but I could do it again in under an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brain Candy, No Problem, I know our custom carpet set isn't for everyone, but it does give you the best of both worlds. The hardest thing you have to do is raise the seats. It's easy to install and remove. It gives you comfort, cushion, and a finished plush look to your 'E'. It also helps with the interior acoustics, and road noise. Then when you need the plain factory floor, just remove it. While it's out just use your home upright vacuum on it. :cool:
I'll definitely keep y'all in mind. I do like what I've seen of your product and I think it would be nice to have something back there that my dog can get some traction on. The carpet set seriously is way nice looking from the pictures I've seen. I'll be sure to take pictures if I end up with a set of my own! Right now though, my solution is to put my 15 pound book back on top of the gopher tunnel. XD

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also dealing with bubbling floors. Brought my E to the dealer today. They said it is from normal wear and tear and not under warranty. This is an 08 with 31k!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great minds think alike!
This past weekend in Pittsburgh we had some great weather and took some time (3 days , 15hrs) I gave the E some tlc. Wash,wax,detailed etc... Then I went to Home Depot and found a carpet that was indooro/outdoor rubber backed and a true black. I dont see it on their site but it was 6'wide and $4.50/ft. A lil math and I figured 7 feet would do (cut it to 4ft wide and have a 2ft strip for the front. Well as the rolled it out it was the end of the roll and had a spot of imperfection ( insert bartering here) I left with 6x10ft peice at HALF PRICE of $24.08 with tax. It came out great ( i went over the jam pieces because it was too thick) thought my last home made rug went under :) I had enough left over to double up the rear passenger section and the cargo area.

One thing I stumbled upon with installing it in the rear cargo area. I left it long enough to unfold and cover the tail gate then its folded down. I cant wait to check out the Drive-In theatre this summer! The Misses, dog (Annie -GSPointer) and I love the E and the drive in :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts