Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my all-season floor mats installed at the dealer (they were backordered when I got my E), and I noticed that the front mat is not flat. It sort of buckles some in the middle in front of each seat, like there's too much rubber between the holes where it's attached to the floor. The service guy said that it will flatten out when the car gets hot inside.

Has anyone else noticed this? And, if so, is the service guy correct?

Thanks!

SOP AWD EX

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed mine myself. They did take a couple of days to lay flat. It could have taken longer if I hadn't noticed that there was a little piece of rubber at the center of the front mat that needed to be cut out for it to fit right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. As far as I can figure there is one mat design for both styles of Element. Mine is the Y or EX version. The sub woofer takes more floor space than DX version. I solved the problem by taking a sharp knife and cutting out the flat area in the very front of the centre part. You will notice that there is a recessed area made for cutting. I used a box cutter with a good sharp blade.

NOTE: be careful as the mat is very soft and cuts easily. You don't want to slice it up in error. I almost did.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
AND DON'T CUT IT ON THE FLOOR OF THE CAR.
Or else you may cut the floor. The Honda instructions say to cut out the insert in the middle when installing on an EX, but it seems that dealers are missing it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll check that tonight!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'll check that tonight!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did that help?

I was just commenting on how my seat covers gave me some extra peace of mind where mud and etc. is concerned. The floor mats did wonders for me there too. I don't know why I'm so paranoid about the basic flooring in the E, but I kept thinking about how it would get scuffed up or cut somehow. Then I put in the mats and suddenly people could get into my truck without me making them remove their muddy shoes and they could put down heavy things without me wincing and imploring them to be careful.

Also, my feet don't slide around like they do on the basic plastic flooring.

If anyone doesn't have floor mats, get them! :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did that help?
Well, no. The installer had apparently trimmed it right already. But I do think that it's flatter than it was, so hopefully they will really lay flat when the weather gets hot. (If it ever does warm up here! We've had the heat on the last couple of days!) :?

I absolutely agree about the mats. They provide much better traction than the floor did. When I got in before I had the mats, my feet would slide if my shoes were wet (and since it's rained almost every day in the last 3 weeks....).

I'm trying to decide about the seat covers myself. I thought I'd get them, now I'm wavering. Are they easy to take off and on to clean? And are they comfortable fabrics to sit on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed my front mat leaving that piece of thin rubber in the center
intact. Grab the area on both sides of the center part and with a back
and forth motion it will go under the sub woofer.I didn't have to drill holes
in my floor to anchor it down either. My front mat had a hump in it due to
the way it was folded in the box,but it's flat now. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts