Honda Element Owners Club banner

Floor Mats using Anti-Fatigue Mats from Home Depot

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Element Wanderer 
#1 ·
I'm new the EOC world as I recently purchased a 2006 EX a few weeks ago and am having a great time owning an Element. One of the first things I did on EOC was research all the different types of floor mats. Out of everything, I came to conclusion that either 1: they didn't serve the purchase I was looking for or 2: they were too expensive. So I decided to give a it a shot and make my own.

I chose to go with an Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat from Home Depot. Main reason: thickness/density of foam. I knew that lining the car would reduce road noise. Now that I have it in the car, I can tell you it made a HUGE difference in road noise. Exceeded my expectations and in my opinion, came out looking pretty good too.

Cost per mat: $20
Dimension of each mat: 3'x4' and .25" thick
Purchased 3 mats - Total Cost: $60 plus a few hours of labor

Hopefully the pictures will explain the process I took.

Black White Floor Font Architecture

Font Design Wood Pattern Rectangle

Floor Font Mat Pattern

Floor Mat Flooring Auto part Metal

Floor Tire Carbon Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber

Floor Flooring Metal Tile Steel

See less See more
#7 ·
Approved. Nice job. I love seeing people solve problems effectively.
I have similar mats from Pep Boys lining the back of my garage, and they have held up great. The only damage they've sustained is from welding, so there's some pinhole burns.
Did you use anything on the backside to hold them in place?

#10 ·
very cool mod.

I like the function and look!

I'll def do this mod if I ever get tired of my home depot carpet, especially now that I have a dog.

thanks for sharing the how to photos.

#14 ·
Just picked one of these mats up at HD...$20, bout an hour of measuring and cutting, and a new front floor is there- can't wait to drive it around and maybe hear a noise difference. Will do the rest of the car soon...I left the area near the clutch complete- made two cuts but not 3, near the "dead pedal" section- looks good and I'm happy with it. No movement at all! Also going to take the leftover stuff and put it on the tailgate as that can get slammed when I'm putting big ol stuff in (usually large rocks/logs/garden things) Thanks for the tip.

#15 ·
I'm just going to bump this thread as I just did the same thing. I will note, many HomeDepots sell a 4'x6' version of this mat for $40. It is large enough to cover the whole rear cargo area behind the front seats in one piece. It is about an inch short at the very front, but that area is covered by the front seats. I thought I came up with this idea myself, but a search found this thread and I can't believe more people haven't done it. The slippery floor has been driving me crazy. The noise reduction is an added benefit. There is a very slight odor, but not bad at all. I expect it will dissipate quickly. Nothing like Harbor Freight when they get a shipment of tires in!

I used a 3'x4' mat for the front, but did it on two pieces. I haven't decided yet how I will address the cutouts for the rear seats. I think I am going to make cutouts but leave the pieces in place since I rarely have the rear seats down. Or maybe flaps. I don't want the two big holes in the otherwise flat floor.

#16 ·
wow! it's a great job! is it rubber this mat?
how did you cut it?
honestly I'd buy the whole piece from the rear- between the seats row and trunk area. if it's possible to make one big piece!
cause I didn't understand your masking process - like you take little pieces of paper cut them by the shape and stick with each other?
make a video or if you could make me a rear may - I'd buy!
you can start a business- rear big piece is always in high demand!
please message me here!
great job!!!

#17 ·
yes, the mat is rubber, a little less than 1/2" thick. You can use the larger 4'x6' mat to do the back in one piece. It cuts easily with scissors or a razor blade.

I can't speak for the OP, but when I made the template for the front, I just used plain printer paper and taped it together with masking/painters tape. I also cut some areas to match the contours. For the back, I didn't make a template. I sort of wish I did since making the template was pretty easy and it comes out better. Very happy with the results and the price. An entire floor kit for about $70 and an hour or two of time.

#18 ·
I'm new the EOC world as I recently purchased a 2006 EX a few weeks ago and am having a great time owning an Element. One of the first things I did on EOC was research all the different types of floor mats. Out of everything, I came to conclusion that either 1: they didn't serve the purchase I was looking for or 2: they were too expensive. So I decided to give a it a shot and make my own.

I chose to go with an Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat from Home Depot. Main reason: thickness/density of foam. I knew that lining the car would reduce road noise. Now that I have it in the car, I can tell you it made a HUGE difference in road noise. Exceeded my expectations and in my opinion, came out looking pretty good too.

Cost per mat: $20
Dimension of each mat: 3'x4' and .25" thick
Purchased 3 mats - Total Cost: $60 plus a few hours of labor

Hopefully the pictures will explain the process I took.

View attachment 126193

View attachment 126201

View attachment 126209

View attachment 126217

View attachment 126225

View attachment 126233
Those mats are now 4'X6' at Home Depot. Could it be done with 2 of them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.