Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the car changing the oil yesterday and noticed there was some oil/fluid seeping out of the 4wd transfer assembly (shown in the diagram linked below). It's not "wet" and actively dripping, but you can tell the fluid has seeped out along the seam in the unit and is covered in grime.

Is there a seal in there that needs to be replaced? Does the whole unit have to come apart? Is it normal to have some seepage there? It doesn't look like a cheap part to fix, that's for sure. FWIW, the AWD worked fine in the snow a few months ago and there haven't been any odd noises.

diagram: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/transmission_automatic/atm0910~2005~honda~element~5dr_ex_4wd_sd_a_1_b~4at~ka~transfer.html

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sometimes the gasket will seep in any car. Clean it off and watch it ans see where its coming from. Its a pretty simple unit and can be resealed. The only seal is where the drive shaft comes out of it.

·
12,177 Posts
Sometimes the gasket will seep in any car. Clean it off and watch it ans see where its coming from. Its a pretty simple unit and can be resealed. The only seal is where the drive shaft comes out of it.

Actually there is 3 seals.

The one where the prop shaft yoke is.
One between the two halves of the case.
One where the transfer assy mounts on the trans housing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a leak at this spot with an occasional drip onto the ground. Any one have any experience with finding a fixing this kind of leak? I am not sure which of the seals in the diagram below are easy to access without major dissassembly / special tools. Seals/o-rings are items 19 thru 22.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts