Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all!

We're looking to purchase an Element next summer, but would like to take advantage of a "Fly and Drive" program. What I mean is, I'd like to fly from Upstate NY to Portland, OR - pick the car up there, and drive it back and see the USA.

Is a program available where I can arrange thru my local dealer to purchase and deliver the Element to a dealer in Portland?

European automakers offer a similar program for their cars, whereby you purchase the car, take delivery in Europe, tour Europe, then the automaker ships it back for you.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

- Mike

ps. I have NOT contacted Honda America about this yet, but plan to shortly.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have heard of it in Europe for higher priced cars (BMW, Mercedes, etc) but not here in the US.

I suppose you could always just buy it/arrange the deal at the target dealer and fly over to sign and drive away. Couple of things come to mind to watch though:
- Get car paperwork (including VIN and exact drive out price signed by dealer) upfront
- Include a termination of deal clause in case you don't like the way the car drives (something wrong with that particular vehicle that was predesignated)
- Check on handling the state taxes of where it will be registered. You could be tagged with a lot of out of pocket costs when registering if not prepared.
- Do not trust the dealer to handle the admin of said taxes, etc. Once you sign for the sale, their 1st, 2nd, and third priorities are done. In fact, it's worth repeating: drive the process yourself regarding signed paperwork and full committal of the understood and defined deal you expect to accept when arriving at the dealership before you spend any money on a plane ticket.
- Share copious amounts of pics with the EOC of the trip back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

Good thoughts to keep in mind. I also need to confirm that emissions are the same in both Portland and NY state - and if not, that could be a problem.

I'm hoping that this can be done dealer-2-dealer, but we shall see.

Yes on the pix

·
12,179 Posts
Thanks for replying.

Good thoughts to keep in mind. I also need to confirm that emissions are the same in both Portland and NY state - and if not, that could be a problem.

I'm hoping that this can be done dealer-2-dealer, but we shall see.

Yes on the pix

All Elements are 50 state emissions certified. You don't have to worry about not being emissions legal in your home state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been almost a year since I wrote my original post.

Travel reservations are made, and at the end of July, we hope to be proud owners of an E. For those in the Portland, OR area, is there any dealer that stands out?

From what I understand, emissions is ok for NY. No sales tax for an out-of-state purchaser as sales tax is paid in the state where it is registered.

Only "problem" is that the E will have over 3k miles on it by the time we get it home. And I really wish i could trade in the Wrangler tires for something else.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Only "problem" is that the E will have over 3k miles on it by the time we get it home. And I really wish i could trade in the Wrangler tires for something else.
Those should be fine for 3k. Most serious complaints come after the tires are about a year old. I've kept the Wranglers for 3 years and due to finances, will be keeping them until they need replacing.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Those should be fine for 3k. Most serious complaints come after the tires are about a year old. I've kept the Wranglers for 3 years and due to finances, will be keeping them until they need replacing.
Mine were useless on the highway from day one - couldn't control the vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is not a Fly & Drive program for what you are doing as it is not overseas. What you could do if the Dealers are willing(it is their choice to do so) is called a "courtesy delivery". You make the purchase through your friendly local Dealership and they arrange with a Portland dealer to have and prepare the vehicle for you. The local Dealer gets the sale and the other one gets a small compensation from them for handling the Delivery. Dealers are not obligated to do this but some will.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Okay, now that you know the cost the expense and all the extras, on the other hand, you get to drive a cool ride across the states and get to experience off and pave roads,:-D you know, it's going to be long time again or maybe not for you to enjoy that type of trips once you get back to NY. Just sayin...play hard and be safe! ;-)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's been almost a year since I wrote my original post.

Travel reservations are made, and at the end of July, we hope to be proud owners of an E. For those in the Portland, OR area, is there any dealer that stands out?

From what I understand, emissions is ok for NY. No sales tax for an out-of-state purchaser as sales tax is paid in the state where it is registered.

Free advice..(You get what you pay for with these suggestions :grin: )
Make sure you have the details worked out for the registration (Dealers here in TX are responsible on new vehicles to provide plates.) You may want to place a quick call to your friendly local DMV office for info/process just to be sure of what to expect when you get home...shouldn't be a problem, though.
The 3k of initial miles will all be good memories so no worries if you ask me. I'd just be careful of proper break in for the car.
Bring a camera and document the time...even if it's not exactly a life changing event (I'm a car guy so it kinda is for me), these kind of journeys can never have enough pics and ways to remember.
Oh, and don't take the interstates the whole way. As Charles Kuralt said: "Interstates allow people to travel the entire country...without seeing one bit of it.";-)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fly And Drive

Elements are assembled in Ohio. You could fly to Columbus, then take the bus past Marysville to East Liberty to pick up your new sled. Be sure to stop by for some Skyline Chili and Tim Horton's donuts while you're there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts