Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experienced the problem of constant fog creeping up the windscreen from the dash on damp/rainy days? It can be warm, cold, or moderate but if its wet my 2004 Honda Element windscreen will need the AC in defrost mode running constantly to keep the windscreen clear.

The fog develops even while the defrost fan switched on "high" and will only dissipate when I turn on the AC. This is a real fuel cruncher plus it causes a lagging/slowing of the vehicle when negotiating the hilly roads I usually travel.

Is this just a normal quirk of the Element or do I have a moisture problem in the ductwork? Any solutions other than running the AC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It can be warm, cold, or moderate but if its wet my 2004 Honda Element windscreen will need the AC in defrost mode running constantly to keep the windscreen clear.
Normal. The AC takes the moisture out of the air as well as cooling it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Normal. The AC takes the moisture out of the air as well as cooling it.
yes, this is what "modern" vehicles do. cooling the air reduces its capacity to carry moisture, which condenses out, so that the air that is heated is drier and more effective in doing the defrost thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normal is not always best

I understand the workings of an AC unit, that was not my question or concern. My concern was that this is the only vehicle I have ever owned that fogged it windshield simply because it was damp outside regardless of the temperature.
What I was concerned about was the possibility of moisture getting into the ventilation system during rainy weather and then blowing itself upon the interior of the glass. I'm looking for a valid answer to this issue and was asking if anyone else has had this problem and if so, other than constantly running the AC, did he/she discover an solution!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I understand the workings of an AC unit, that was not my question or concern. My concern was that this is the only vehicle I have ever owned that fogged it windshield simply because it was damp outside regardless of the temperature.
What I was concerned about was the possibility of moisture getting into the ventilation system during rainy weather and then blowing itself upon the interior of the glass. I'm looking for a valid answer to this issue and was asking if anyone else has had this problem and if so, other than constantly running the AC, did he/she discover an solution!!!
You do not see the issue on most vehicles because they will automatically turn on the a/c compressor to dehumidify the air any time the system is in defrost mode to correct the symptom you are experiencing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foggy, foggy dew

The fogged windshield issue that I'm am addressing with my question seems to be unique to either my Element or ALL Elements. I have not owned many vehicles that had AC but I've also never had a vehicle that constantly fogged it windshield simply because it was raining no matter what the inside or outside air temp. (I have owned air cooled VW busses that could ice the inside windshield in winter)
I've owned other model Hondas and never experienced this problem. It is because of my past experiences with various vehicles that I question whether this fogging is normal.
I really didn't think when I posed this query that it would be so difficult to find an answer other than the obvious - Yes, I can just leave the AC running, but that is not very economical and at every hill I have to switch it off with hopes the fog doesn't creep up into my field of vision as I'm climbing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Mine fogs up sometimes during the rain too. Never thought that much about it. Just turned on the A/C defrose mode and cleared it off. I do remember driving the old aircooled Beetle with window scraper in hand during the winter time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Foogy

No odor to the fogginess. I'm beginning to think it may be a design flaw in the beast and that I'm doomed to needing the AC on any damp or rainy day.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
No odor to the fogginess. I'm beginning to think it may be a design flaw in the beast and that I'm doomed to needing the AC on any damp or rainy day.
It's not a design flaw. It's basic physics. If the moist air blowing on the windshield hits glass that has a temperature below the dew point, the moisture will condense out of the air on the cooler glass. Severity is related to temperature and humidity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts