Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether or not anyone has installed the optically-clear plasic film to the Element's headlamp lenses for protection against a stray rock cracking the lenses?

8)

·
Registered
447 Posts
3M makes the material, various companies convert (cut) the material into shapes for convenient installation.

www.xpel.com is where I purchased mine online.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm about to order the E kit from Xpel $109 I think on their web site gives you the hood and fender corner pre-cut film... I'll let you know how it applies, looks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just ordered all the kits for my E, all are pre-cut (hood, fender, door edge, headlamp) also ordered a sheet of headlight film to cut out circles for the fog lights. You can buy their film by the foot, 4' of 6" I think is under $50 but I figured for the extra $50, having it cut to fit would be cheaper then me messing it up! I'll update after I get it and install but have seen it on Mercedes and BMW's and it is very difficult to see, question is how does it wax, wear, etc. Already have one chip in my hood edge so figured this will be good for the upcoming winter.

ID Name Qty Unit Total
-----------------------------------------------------------
P0223 2003-2003 Honda Eleme 1 $109.95 $109.95
H0223 2003-2003 Honda Eleme 1 $33.95 $33.95
P9910 Door Edge Guard kit 1 $4.95 $4.95
H9906 12 inch x 12 inch Cut 1 $15.00 $15.00

Sub Total: $163.85
Tax: $0.00
Shipping--FedEx TwoDay $8.50
TOTAL: $172.35

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just bought all three E Xpel kits, headlight $34, foglight stock $12, clear bra $109...

Experimented with the fog light (cut circles out of 12"x12" sheet, dry apply, no problem) and the headlight shields (wet apply). Was a little worried as you mist the adhesive side with a 25% alcohol 75% water solution, my mister atomized the water and left microscopic bubbles under the shield even after "firm" wiping, this is how you squeegee the liquid out from the center to the edges...

After one week, all the microscopic bubbles have evaporated (they must have been liquid not air) and the shield is crystal clear. A definite must prior to winter if you drive where salt and gravel is put on the raod, the E headlights are almost vertical to the road.

Going to try the clear bra next, I have to have a rock ding fixed on the front edge so it seals flat. Anyone know how to repair a rock ding or is a professional required?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The larger the "bubble", the longer it takes to go away. But it does go away! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the precut set from Griot's (included head lights and fog lamps). I installed the head lights a week ago. The instructions to liberally wet the head light with the positioning fluid CANNOT be over-emphasized. After a hairdryer warmed the first cover- I rather clumsily peeled the paper and promptly got one sticky side edge partially attached to the middle. Relieved to find it possible to pull it apart, I laid it on the head light but found it difficult to move. The positioning fluid had run off and/or started to dry. Fortunately, it did finally make it to the correct position after pushing and squeeging (sp?).

The second cover went on easily. The small air bubbles dissappeared after a couple of days and if you don't know the cover is there- you will not notice it. Adhesion all the way around each cover seems quite good, and the material is absolutely clear.

My commute through several miles of road construction seems less threatening now.

I also have some 2" wide rolls of the material (also from Griot's) and will be applying some to the front of the hood as soon as the E gets its next good wash.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, simply draw a circle on the back paper with a protractor is you have one or trace a similar sized item and cut slowly with sharp scissors... i found that the idea you will "move" or "slide" the sheild is iffy at best. Plan and try to lay the sheilds on exactly as they are going to go and avoid that whole situation.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I got the x-pel sheet and cut my lenses out. They work great and are invisible. I highly recommend them. I 'm going to get the headlight ones too.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Surprisingly, I may have been the first to have figured this one out. Check out the plumbing section of building supply places. I put perforated black ABS "drain covers" into my foglight coutouts. The tubes are three inches in diameter with a 1/4 inch flange (you don't have to be super neat doing the cutout because the flange will cover up boo-boos). What's more, if you cut out the openings just slightly small, they force-fit in without any other form of attachment. However, you could use small screws through the flanges if you were paranoid. The tube end extends about two inches into the back side of the opening, so there's material available to attach whatever cold air pickup setup you decide to go with. These drain covers are also available in chrome (with round or square perfortions, as I recall). I've only seen the black ABS ones in round perforations, but there may be other styles out there.

I ended up using some 1 3/4 by 4 3/4 inch rectangular foglights that I had laying around unused for years which happened to fit perfectly into the "grid" pattern of the lower grille. I had originally been thinking of installing air horns in the foglight openings, and had been looking for some kind of grilles for them, but it got a little too challenging, so I just mounted the air horns basically where the original horn was and put the perforated tube ends in just because they looked good. The black contrasts just slightly with the bumper material color, and makes my black Element look subtly different from anyone else's.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I installed the kit and put on 3.5" diameter 3M material (40 mils thick, made for headlights) for protection. I am protected!

I have extra material if anyone who lives around me need it.

The factory glass lenses say "Raybrig" I would check direct with the manufacturer to see if they offer replacement parts.

http://www.raybrigusa.com/
1-800-463-3009

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you're looking for the quality fit+finish of Honda fogs, definitely use the protectant film at installation to protect your purchase.

Usually there is a warranty from the supplier for the 3M protection of the lens, I don't know if it applies for bulk material though (as opposed to their die-cut shapes specific for a vehicle.).

I personally carry $0 deductable comprehensive insurance. Any damage to glass or from vandalism is completely covered without making your insurance go up for a claim. I would use this if something was substantial enough to break the lens.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You can find 12"x12" sheets at www.xpel.com

The 15 material is for the painted body, the 40 mil material is for headlights.

Don't use dull scizzors, this material requires sharp blades to cut smoothly. I had no problem at all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fog light protection film

I have the xpel protectors on my fogs and they work great. They are the same as the 3m ones or probably are them. I highly recommend them. The winter was very harsh this year by me and the Boxy took a trashing. She has to go for a paint job monday because the guys who installed my 2nd windshield put a scratch in the fender an a 4 incher to the metal on the top. Not to mention that the water that leaked from the first install put water stains on the center console. She's getting everything fixed and will be good as new. 4 months old and 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My concern is that I knew people who used Stonegard on their S2000 headlights and apparently the adhesive destroyed the lights.

I still might take a chance, because if two foglights can't make it through one winter...they are useless.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have an S2000 and I've used xpel on the headlights from new (have it two years now). I have not noticed any damage from using the film, please ellaborate. Was it from impatient removal? There may be a removal technique to minimize damage if removed. I have emailed XPEL to see what they recommend.

Note: the fog lamps lenses are made of glass. It would be nearly impossible for adhesive to chemically damage glass.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hello Xpel,

I am a customer, and I have a couple questions.

(1) I would like to know what the instructions are for removing 3M headlight
film that was applied with the wet method.

(2) Is there any known effects of the adhesive on the polycarbonate-type
lens material? If so, how can it be rectified?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul-

If you ever feel the need to remove the X-Pel headlight protection material,
simply begin by heating the material with a hairdryer and then slowly pull
by the corner gently lifting the film from the lens. If any adhesive
remains on the light upon removal, simply use any adhesive cleaner that is
safe for the surface and wipe clean. There are no known affects of the
adhesive. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact
me.

Regards,
Michael Mayall
Reflex Enterprises, LLC
Toll-Free - (800) 447-9928 x201

So there you have it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is also a free video at the xpel site that I got prior to installing mine. But like Paul said I haven't heard anyone damaging there fogs from it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Mailman just delivered my order of InvisiGard headlight protection kit. It came without directions ,which I secured online & printed out. 5 pages of instructions (Yikes) !!! :( I paid about $50 bucks for what seems like very little. I hope this stuff works & is worth the bucks & grief. Anyone out there try this yet ?? ... Imput appreciated !!

Thanks Roadie..

1 - 20 of 74 Posts