Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew of different cheaper fog lights i could use. those honda ones seem i little bit expensive. :?:

· Registered
1,118 Posts
From what I understand, the biggest cost with the fog light is the installation. Over and above the cost of the lights. Apparently, the wiring is from scratch. They did not pre wire the car. I am hoping someone will make a cover for those holes because they look so bare. The new jeep liberty has a molded plastic light bar. Agian, I am hoping that they come up with something similar for the element. If I have to have it wired from scratch, I would rather the lights were on the roof.

· Registered
74 Posts
I thought we were talking about fog lights and not just anything to fill the holes. I am looking too Banylo. If I find anything I'll let you know, if you could do the same that would be great. I really don't want to end up spending more than $150, but I'd rather keep it around $75 if possible. I think somewhere you should be able to find a generic kit that will fit the holes, I'm just not sure about the fog light switch. I thought someone said that wasa part of Honda's kit. Surely something can be done. I'm gonna go to a shop that deals with customizing cars and trucks and see what they'll know.

Anyone else know anything, please post it!! :lol:

· Registered
352 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of going on a slightly different route. We get fog here about 2 or 3 times a year - hardly worth buying fog lamps. What we do get here on a very regular basis is darkness. For this reason I'm contemplating putting some PIAA 002x driving beams in the fog light holes. PIAA makes very high grade aftermarket lighting systems and is used by just about every pro rally and endurance racing team in the world. For their quality they are relatively inexpensive - about $100 for the lights i want. To make the installation look factory and/or professional, I'm going to have to design some brackets to fit in the existing holes. When i get all figured out, I'll let you know via this website

· Registered
118 Posts
Mr boneheadZ, I'm afraid you have some bum dope. The wiring harness for the fog lights IS built in to the Element. The installation kit has two additional harnesses that you to plug in in 7 places and provides a relay and fuse. After the lights are installed, you install the first wiring harness that connects both lights together and this harness plugs into a receptacle behind the left light. Another harness is provided that plugs into 6 different places under the dash and plugs into the new fog lamp switch that goes into the dash. Makes a very clean installation. Just did mine last weekend and the whole job may have taken 3 hours at the most and I didn't rush it.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanx for the info. I figured that the 700.00 plus cost of installation was becasue it was not pre wired. If the wiring is there why so much? If the lights hit the aftermarket I look a putting them in. But I might prefer missles. :lol:

PS
Hows Albuquerque? I was in sante fe last september after going to moab. I love your state. Was hoping to get there again this year.

· Registered
74 Posts
ION 777 please let me know if not everyone else how your lighting system turns out. I'm with you I don't really need fog lights but some nice beams would be cool. I have no clue where to start with all of this so if you could let me know specifics (brand, parts #'s, and installation) when you get them and how well it works that would be sweet!

· Registered
118 Posts
I paid $242.50 for the fog light kit from HandA accessories and installed it myself. It is not difficult if you take your time and work carefully. The entire front end must be removed and the openings cut out. Using the Honda kit makes for a professional looking job just like it would be done in the factory. We rarely get fog here and I'll admit I did it just to fill those terrible looking big round flowerpots on the front end. Another option might be to try and find a grill or screen that might fit the opening and could be installed from the outside. Then it would look like brake cooling ducts! Thanks for the compliment on NM. It is indeed a beautiful state. Would like to visit your area some day.:wink:

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE IMPUT IT IS VERY HELPFULL! THX :D . MAYBE I'M MISTAKEN BUT, DON'T THEY SELL JUST THE FOG LIGHT SWITCH SEPERATE IF YOU WANTED JUST THAT. INCASE YOU WERE TO GO WITH DIFF LIGHTS.

· Registered
352 Posts
Banylo- Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in your works, but you also need the relay and under dash wiring harness. Also, because of the way it is wired up, you can't just run the fog lights, you have to turn on the corning lights also. this another reason why i'm looking at the PIAAs.

· Registered
352 Posts
Banylo- Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in your works, but you also need the relay and under dash wiring harness. Also, because of the way it is wired up, you can't just run the fog lights, you have to turn on the corning lights also. this another reason why i'm looking at the PIAAs.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i understand what your saying i just ment that i saw on one of those acc. websites just the switch for sale but i don't remember witch one it was. thx for the info though! 8)

· Registered
24 Posts
After reading the comments from other members I wasn't sure as to whether I should install the $20.00 WalMarts or the Factory Fogs especially in view of the big price difference. I bought both and after comparing the two I went with the Honda lights. This is a quality kit. It comes with detailed instructions,complete wiring harness, relay, a switch that fits in the factory hole , wires ties etc. All of the wires are encased in a protective sheath and they are even marked as to where you should attach the ties and ties with clips to the predrilled holes in the body. The Element is prewired to some extent for these lights so you don't have to get the wires thru the firewall . You just plug the new harness into the connectors up at the front end and under the dash. The extra connectors are marked at the factory with blue tape so you can locate them. The lights themselves are not flimsy like the WM's and they can be aimed/adjusted and new bulbs inserted without having to take the whole front end off. I have intsalled fog & driving lights in many different cars and I was very impressed with the quality of this kit and the fact that Honda had pre-wired for these lights The only pain was working under the dash. Its a difficult area to get at even though you just have to plug connectors in.

· Registered
137 Posts
[quote:5d645bc4c7="Edselhead"]After reading the comments from other members I wasn't sure as to whether I should install the $20.00 WalMarts or the Factory Fogs especially in view of the big price difference. I bought both and after comparing the two I went with the Honda lights. This is a quality kit. It comes with detailed instructions,complete wiring harness, relay, a switch that fits in the factory hole , wires ties etc. All of the wires are encased in a protective sheath and they are even marked as to where you should attach the ties and ties with clips to the predrilled holes in the body. The Element is prewired to some extent for these lights so you don't have to get the wires thru the firewall . You just plug the new harness into the connectors up at the front end and under the dash. The extra connectors are marked at the factory with blue tape so you can locate them. The lights themselves are not flimsy like the WM's and they can be aimed/adjusted and new bulbs inserted without having to take the whole front end off. I have intsalled fog & driving lights in many different cars and I was very impressed with the quality of this kit and the fact that Honda had pre-wired for these lights The only pain was working under the dash. Its a difficult area to get at even though you just have to plug connectors in.[/quote:5d645bc4c7]

$20 vs $240!!!!

Like you said WM light kit is flimsy, but it still does the job. WM's light after all is a universal light kit, the wires must reach varity of locations. It only seem flimsy because of exposed wires.

You want it to look like Honda's light kit, it won't take much, just buy some of those flexible plastic conduit and a roll 3M electrical tape. Just 15 min of your time and you may save yourself $200.

· Registered
90 Posts
being the one who brouth the walmat light to this forum I thought I might comment... Yes the walmart lights are a little cheaper looking but the are infact cheaper I noticed thought that they do have a more brilliant light than the honda lights and that light can be noticed from a much further distance the the honda lights.. the walmart lights can also be easily hooked up to the factory foglight wiring if you wish to do so and you can always then contact majestic honda and get the factory switch for a farely good price.. as far as changing the bulbs you do not have to remove the entire front bumper to remove or even install these lights, under the bumper is a plastic skirt that fold out of the way buy removing only two screws!!! I'm still trying to figure out why every one is still removing the bumper and risking scratching the front of it when laying it down,, but every has their own way... at any rate if you prefer the honda lights great but I just tend to be a little more frugal and couldnt see spending $240.00 dollars for a simple pair of fog lights... I think honda needs to wake up and smell the coffie.. I havent yet seen any thing in the honda dealership as far as accessories that I would spend the kind of money they want for it. I mean if honda thinks they can sell a titanium gear shifter for $399.00 then maybe the need to check around with the after market companies to get a real idea of what auto accessories are going for! any way enough rambling bottom line buy what you want its your E

· Registered
141 Posts
If you have the $240 to spend, I say go for it. Congrats and it's a good mod. It's a mod worth having. We use our driving lights all the time. I always change the factory bulbs to hyperwhites with higher wattage. It's a huge difference from stock bulbs.

I like that very slight hint of blue and more white. I do not like it when its got too much blue.

I removed the bumper cover to install the walmart driving lights in order to do a very clean install and to make sure that the wires are zip tied nicely and not rubbing against any metal. Wire chaffing is one of the most common causes of electrical fires/shorts in vehicles from after market electronic installs/upgrades.

If I coud spare the $240 for driving lights, I would have bought the Honda OEM and still replaced the H3 bulbs with the hyperwhite h3 bulbs.

The only honda part I used is the switch. It gave a clean, stock look to it. The Walmart Fogs does the job, specially after I had replaced the bulbs. It does stick out a little bit but doesn't look bad at all.

The fog light bracket mounted to the bumper cover.

The OEM fog light switch and custom wiring harness.

BTW, post some pics of your newly installed Fog lights with the lights off and on.

John

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.