Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered foglights for my '07 Sc!

While reading the installation instructions, I saw that they only come on with the low beams. I'm sure there's a way to allow them come on with the parking lights and hi-beams with a wire splice.

Has anyone done his mod? If so, which wires need to be spliced?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
You'll need wire, wire taps and a few diodes.

Diodes are basically electronic check valves that let power flow in only one direction. Hook one in each one of your wires you're tapping into the lighting circuit (park, low or high beam) and away you go.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
take the red/yellow that goes to pin 15 at the headlight switch and cut it with enough length to reattach it later if needed. the side that goes to the switch should be extended and go to constant power in the fuse box under the dash or the ignition switch. the other side of that cut wire should be capped off. then the red/white at the fog light relay that comes with the kit should go to the blue wire at the factory security plug thru a 1 amp or larger diode after being cut from the harness that feeds it. cap off the side that isnt still attached to the relay. the side with the band on the diode (cathode) goes towards the green security plug. this way they will only come on with the parking or headlights and will stay on with highbeams. you could also ground the red/white wire to chassis if you wanted and they would come on whenever but you wouldnt get the reminder dinging.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
reminder dinging??? I was wondering what that was, thought it was somebodys cell. it's kinda hard to rember to turn off the lights after 15+ years of not needing to.why didn't honda do like most others with auto off???? ours is not to wonder why from the great honda gods in the sky.:lol::mrgreen:

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Isaachonda, you're free to modify your light wiring any way you like, but be aware that having the brights on would render your fog lights useless. If you just think it would look nice, so be it.
doing it this way feeds the 12v with constant power to the foglight switch and the ground comes from the security plug being in park or headlight, where the ground normally comes from the highbeam switch being in low beam and the ground goes away when in high. so if you hook it up this way it is kinda a twofer. :)

i hooked my low beams up on mine to stay on when the high beams are activated when i put my hids in. the hid bulbs and ballists dont like being turned on and off quick for flash to pass or the "cop ahead" warning ;-) since they have to warm up. diodes are a beautiful thing, my second favorite to relays.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Intermittent wipers are on the '09 :beta:
yeah they must have seen the work around on here that a fellow eoc'er discovered quite some time ago and decided to actually include it in the "options".

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
yeah they must have seen the work around on here that a fellow eoc'er discovered quite some time ago and decided to actually include it in the "options".
But for some reason they created a new, Element-specific part instead of using the Pilot switch, which we know works perfectly.

Element 2003-08 (also Civic 3-door 2002-05, CR-V 2002-06)
35256-S6A-G01

Pilot 2003-08
35256-S9V-A01

Element 2009-10
35256-SCV-A31

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
at least honda is smart enough to use the same part on different cars and give it a different part number then actually make a bunch of non interchangable parts like some car manus that we all "own" a part of now. ;-)

·
14,898 Posts
^ That was one of my favorite things about AMC. They were so poor, they'd use the same part in a whole bunch of different models, for 20 years or longer. Their 232/199/258/4.0L straight-six was used, with running changes and upgrades, from 1964 to 2006!

But as for the wiper switch, the 2009-10 Element part seems to be unique. I've seen it side-by-side with the Pilot switch, and there's only one inexplicable difference: the variable delay knob's direction of rotation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm going to try to do the mod tomorrow if possible. I just want to clarify which wires go where to make sure I don't do anything wrong. (Measure twice, cut once)

Exactly where is constant power on the fuse box. Is it a wire, plug, or some other connector? Are there more than one green plugs? If so, which one is the security plug with the blue wire I need? I don't have a service manual yet. :-(

1. Red/ yellow wire at Pin 15 on headlight switch goes to constant power at the fuse box.

2. Opposite side of red/ yellow wire capped off.

3. Red/ white wire from foglight relay goes through diode to the blue wire on the green security plug.

4. Cathode (side with ring) goes on the blue side of the last splice

5. Opposite side of red/ white wire capped off.

Please correct me if I have gotten anything wrong or backwards, and please clarify what/ where constant power from the fuse box is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i hooked my low beams up on mine to stay on when the high beams are activated when i put my hids in. the hid bulbs and ballists dont like being turned on and off quick for flash to pass or the "cop ahead" warning ;-) since they have to warm up. diodes are a beautiful thing, my second favorite to relays.
Mine stay on from the factory, i checked that too when I got my hid's. Huh, dunno.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mine stay on from the factory, i checked that too when I got my hid's. Huh, dunno.
hmmmm. i wonder why mine didnt? i know it isnt "programming" since honda doesnt mess with all that stupidness like the VW in my driveway. it was quickly fixed with 2 diodes though so no biggie.:)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The SC has always had the low beams on with the high beams. The power source for the high and low beams is shared - if one has power so does the other. Since the low beams do not have a switched ground - they are connected directly to chassis ground - if the power is there they are going to light up.

Looking at the schematic posted in the post #3 of this thread it looks to me like one could simply take the red/white or red/yellow wire that is connected to the combination light switch pin 6 and simply pull it to ground to achieve what the OP asked. ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone else successfully done this mod?

I still don't fully understand what or where the constant power is.

·
14,898 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Hang on a sec guys, let me make sure I'm understand the whole issue here because it really seems to me that everyone is making this way more complicated then it needs to be.

If I understand this right the OP has a '07 SC and has purchased a set of OEM fogs, ready to install but simply wants to be able to use said fogs with the parking lights, low beam headlamps, or the high beam headlamps - or any combination thereof, right?

If so, all you have to do is cut the one wire (see my other post) and tie it to ground. Period, that's it. No need to pull power from anywhere - it's already provided when the OEM lights are installed - you won't have to modify that at all. ;-)

If I'm misunderstanding the whole problem please enlighten me, but gee wiz guys you're making things way more complicated than one needs to.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I was wrong!

Guys - this mod isn't as simple as I first said. :oops:
I pulled the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) out to review the circuit and discovered there is a mistake in the manual .

If you look at the schematic posted in post #3, ( ETM page 110-18 ) the power source for the fog light switch is labeled "HOT WITH HEADLIGHT SWITCH IN HEAD OR PARK" - that is incorrect. The circuit fused by Fuse 15 is only hot when the headlight switch is in headlight position.

All that means is that the circuit must be modified to have a power source that is 'HOT' when the parking lights are on too - just like yoda said. Paul's idea of pulling from the 'V' connector (pin #4) does sound like the best solution.

The grounding of the wire going to the dimmer switch contacts of the headlight switch I talked about is still necessary though. That is the part that allows the lights to come on in high beam or low beam.

Moral of the story? Don't take for gospel what the ETM had printed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts