180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i do have the fogs installed.
now, as the instructions indicate:

USE AND CARE
How to Operate Fog Lights
• Turn the light switch to the “ ” position
(headlights on low beam).
• Press the fog light switch (indicator is on).
The fog light lenses can cloud when the outside
temperature is cold; this is a normal condition.

well, the fogs won't turn on. i need to crank the light 'knob' on to the main headlight switch before i can turn on the fogs.

did i miss something or it's just right? i was hoping to switch on the fogs without turning the headlights on...

thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sounds right

I have the Honda fogs that I installed myself. They do only come on with the low beams. I think there is a post on here somewhere how to wire them differently than the factory intended so you can run the fogs with just the parking lights. I would like to do that also but don't want to mess with the wiring for fear of screwing it up :)

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, they're factory foglights.

thanks for the replies. well, i guess that's that. i'll just settle for it then, no need messing around with what's working.

thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know about Canada but in many states here its illegal to run the fog lights without the low beams. I would think with the DRLs in Canada you would not need to turn the low beams on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one of the reasons why i'm asking whether i can make the foglights as my E's DRL is i'm planning to upgrade the OEM headlight bulbs (PIAA, hella, philips whatever) and most of the reviews i've read says having them on all the time makes the bulbs' lifespan shorter. so, i was thinking why not use the fogs and just use the headlights during evenings just to extend the bulb's life. its a visibility concern esp. for the wife that's why i want to pgrade them OEM bulbs. i've seen some SUV's here have their fogs as DRL's..

anyways i've found the thread for that foglight switch bypass (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39264&highlight=fog+light+switch) and it's not for the faint of heart (and i'm one of those) so i guess i'll just stick with the OEM bulbs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Use the headlights as DRLs

I would suggest using the headlights not the fog lights as the DRLs. I just had to change a factory fog bulb and the easest way to do it is to pull the whole front bumper cover off. I can change a headlight bulb in two minutes. 45 minutes for a fog.

·
Registered
421 Posts
safety issue

Fogs alone used as drl's could confuse another driver during poor visiblity times, such as at sunset with the sun in the other driver's eyes. They might mistake your small fogs as headlights at a greater distance and pull out in front of you.

That is paraphrased, but basically what I had read on several sites such as NTSB concerning the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts