Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Newbie here, both to the forum and the vehicle. We (my wife and I) bought a brand new 2010 E about a month ago and I immediately started brainstorming ideas to make it a more comfortable camping rig. I needed the ability to always have room for three so I decided to build a folding platform that rests where the rear drivers side seat is and will fold out to cover both the other rear seat and the front seats, either one or both depending on need.

I used a combo of ideas acquired here and some original thought.

Material used:

2- 23" x 48" 3/4" thick plywood
1- 24" x 46" ply
1- 48" piano hinge
2- 12" piano hinge
5- threaded floor plates (steel)
5- 1 1/4" thread to slip PVC fittings
5- 13" legs made from 1 1/4 Schedule 40
20- 1/4" dia. bolts/nuts/washers for mounting floor plates
2- 10" turnbuckles

Pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,492 Posts
NICE!! Have a similar idea in mind myself...... :shock: :roll::)

Thanks for the great pix as well!! :razz:8)8)

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Looks great!!!

Just an FYI, there is NO such thing as too pic heavy!!!!
We are a very visual group!! :twisted:

·
Registered
836 Posts
LOL I didn't read the pic heavy part until rol pointed it out. I was actually going to ask of one more or maybe 2 more pics....seriously.

one with the rear seat up taken from the drivers side with rear door open.

and one from center between the two front seats, kind of like what you would get by looking in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome

That is perfect! Just what I hadn't thought of.:-D I don't need room for three, but the side stacking storage is perfect. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Huh?

Actually, wait a second. How are the planks across the front seats attached to the larger rear folding boards? I couldnt make it out in the pics. If you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words. I'll see about some pics tomorrow, as I am taking it for its first test run.

The two front pieces are also piano hinged so they fold in twice.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I love this design. Fold up the back seat and you could put your bike in the car and still sleep. I like running with at least 3 seats. Every time I pull out the rear seats I need them. I may just finally have to make one of these now. Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is really cool! does it flex much at the hinges when you are lying on it? I really like the modular design of this. Nice work!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the lapse in time. The only flex I notice is at the front most edge of the platform when I scoot all the way towards the dash to climb out that way. It is quite minimal though. I can't remember what tent that is but I know I bought it through Amazon and it was relatively inexpensive. I do remember that it was advertised as a minivan tent.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The tent is by DAK, selling for around $100. There are some old threads about the 'midsize camper top tent'. It looks like this minivan model fits the E better than the campertop model (which isn't as tall).

·
Registered
11 Posts
sleeping platform legs

We did a similar platform but used 2 inch dowels that screw into table leg brackets. The dowels have a wood screw thread piece and on the other end of that piece is a machine screw that goes into the bracket.

Yours looks like a good solution also.

We did end up doing away with the small panels that folded forward and seems to still work just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tent

We've had good luck with the tailgate tent designed for the GMC Envoy that we found online for around $89. Will post pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts