Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone please tell me if I was extra bright and discovered something useful here or if everyone already knew about it but me...

I had to fold the rear seats up to carry some extra big cargo. It's always been a pain when they're up because they tend to rattle back and forth hanging from that strap on the hand grips. Hmmm... If I take off the rear head rests and reach back, pulling the release for the seat backs, they spring over against the sides. "Nice" I tell myself. "No more rattling." I go around back to close the rear doors and suddenly find about another foot of room and a LOT more rear visibility too. I haven't seen this trick mentioned anywhere yet so it was new to me at least. I sure like it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
(Spoken in the voice of the Guiness ads from a while back): Brilliant!

I never thought of that either. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Im not sure what you mean. :) Could someone please explain again or maybe post a pic.
Thanks for the help
There's one in every crowd:D J/K

Take off the rear head rests and reach back, pulling the release for the seat backs, they spring over against the sides. I think if you try it you'll see what he means.

It's a good thing to know about. Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Huh!? I tried it and I still don't understand what you guys are talking about! I thought you had to take the headrests off, too?!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgetting the headrests, the trick to it is in letting the seat backs spring over against the sides of the vehicle instead of leaving them to hang out loose so they block a goodly portion of the rear window. You can't do THAT without removing the headrests because the headrests hit against the rear columns. With the headrests removed, the same spring that would normally flips the back upright when you pull the release - will now pull the seat backs in to that wasted space close to the side windows. It secures the seat better and opens up extra room in the back. It also pulls the seat ends out of the way enough that the rear window is completely clear again.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here! I borrowed a camera and got some pictures between cloudbursts. You can't see it but there's a large stream about 30 feet in front of the car that floods when it's about 6 1/2' deep and it's almost there now.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I fiinally figured it out this am!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Thanks for the visual aids desinia. I didnt get it either, until seeing those.
I leave the back seat headrests in the side comparments like you do, all the
time. Unless I have passengers, because it is much easier to see out the
rear window without them!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the visual aids desinia. I didnt get it either, until seeing those.
I leave the back seat headrests in the side comparments like you do, all the
time. Unless I have passengers, because it is much easier to see out the
rear window without them!!
That was the other picture I wanted to include but it didn't turn out. The seats blocked enough of the rear window to give "tunnel vision" but the other way pulls them out enough that you can't even see them through the rear view mirror. I suppose that's a moot point if you put up the seats so you could stuff in a piano or the like and block the whole window anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
730 Posts
I never knew you could take the rear headrests off! :oops:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wait a minute, you mean you can fold the seats up?

(I'm sorry...I couldn't resist.)

Reactions: morganhorses

·
Registered
166 Posts
A friend of ours who had an E before me, Did not remove the headrests and they would always get bent out of shape. Assuming they were getting smashed by the rear hatch or something. So I always remove headrests and place behind drivers seat in the bungees (you can get them both in one on top of the other). :D

Reactions: TheFunBox
1 - 20 of 37 Posts