Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally....after 5 days of after hours work at my shop I finally finished putting my Clifford 50.7x alarm in!!! I added a glass break sensor, tilt sensor x2 (front and rear of the car), two LEDs, plus the remote start is finally functional with the neutral saftey switch (my car is MT)....Just thought I'd throw some pictures out there of what a good alarm install should look like...I work on cars all day and I hate going under a dash just to find a bunch of wiring that looks like spaghetti :x .... here's the pix!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL!!! no...i actually think i'm going to leave them hanging there....they add 5hp like that :twisted: lol

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
Can you say SPAGHETTI??!!! :lol::lol::lol::-(

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
fan of the crimp caps i see.... :)

looks like something I would do ;-)

lets see how long it takes greggo to respond to that one. :razz:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hate those caps, I always solder and shrink tube my wires behind the dash. It actually does look like spaghetti... I think I want spaghetti now.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
fan of the crimp caps i see.... :)

looks like something I would do ;-)

lets see how long it takes greggo to respond to that one. :razz:
That was a LOW blow Zach, but I know you were confused, so I fixed it for ya! ;-)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol....i guess i sparked a fire with this one....there's absolutely nothing wrong with crimp caps.....i've been using them for years and never had any problems, but I guess it's a matter of preference...some people do have problems with their crimps, but i guess that's because they don't know how to use a crimper correctly. ;-) BTW....i'd like to see what your alarms look like under your dash since my install looks like a "best buy/spaghetti" install....once you;ve posted some pics, maybee you can enlighten ma as to how the perfect alarm install should look like since I'm sure everyone here regularly installs alarms for a living :razz:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok...well this is getting a little retarded....I thought that I got away from all the snobby ass people from the BMW forums...but i guess there's always someone that has to mean :-( .....to each their own.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
lol....i guess i sparked a fire with this one....there's absolutely nothing wrong with crimp caps.....i've been using them for years and never had any problems, but I guess it's a matter of preference...some people do have problems with their crimps, but i guess that's because they don't know how to use a crimper correctly. ;-) BTW....i'd like to see what your alarms look like under your dash since my install looks like a "best buy/spaghetti" install....once you;ve posted some pics, maybee you can enlighten ma as to how the perfect alarm install should look like since I'm sure everyone here regularly installs alarms for a living :razz:
I actually do install for a living....since 1994. It's really hard to take pics of my security system installs because well.......they are really hard to find/see. A security system needs to be installed in a manner that it blends in with the OEM wiring and would be hard for a thief to locate if they were to gain access and want to try and disable it. I don't typically hide my remote start installs to the same extent.

The Best Buy comment by Zach was just to poke fun at me because I am currently working at a Best Buy store and contrary to popular belief, there are some good installers/installs that come out of Best Buy stores.

I don't think anybody was really intending to be mean, just kinda having a little fun. Honestly (and this is purely constructive criticism) that is not a clean install. You should determine where you are going to mount your brain/sensors. Prep your wiring outside of the vehicle, secure the brain/sensors in the vehicle and then route your wires to their attachment point. This way you don't end up with a large cluster of connections so close to the unit.

Try it on your next install.....I think you will find it works out rather well and the end result is a clean/stealthy install.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well....thanks for clarifying on the poking a bit for fun part....i think that everyone on here is ready to share their enthusiasm for their toaster and the work they do to it, so I was a bit taken back by that, maybee it's because I'm still a bit new to this forum :|...construstive criticism is always welcome, and i think that I should clarify....i actually did pick the mounting location for the brain prior to me taking the pictures; I just dropped everything down to snap some flix...anyways once everthing was all squared away, you really couldn't much of any wiring....LOL....BTW, i worked at best buy as an installer about 8 years ago also :shock: ...and yes good installers come out of there, but it's deffinately rare...LOL....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well....thanks for clarifying on the poking a bit for fun part....i think that everyone on here is ready to share their enthusiasm for their toaster and the work they do to it, so I was a bit taken back by that, maybee it's because I'm still a bit new to this forum :|...construstive criticism is always welcome, and i think that I should clarify....i actually did pick the mounting location for the brain prior to me taking the pictures; I just dropped everything down to snap some flix...anyways once everthing was all squared away, you really couldn't much of any wiring....LOL....BTW, i worked at best buy as an installer about 8 years ago also :shock: ...and yes good installers come out of there, but it's deffinately rare...LOL....

Yea, it's all good. One other suggestion....ditch that 556U and get yourself a PKALL. No key in the box which is safer, that is assuming you didn't alter the key so it wouldn't work in the ignition.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
nice edit on me Greg. :) Most people dont know that best buy does actually solder alarm connections ( at least the one here in daytona does) even though they use crips on practically everything else. crimp caps are actually one of the best connections you can make next to soldering as they have both a good electrical connection (wires being twisted together) and a solid physical connection ( the crimping with a proper tool of the twisted wires) unlike a butt connector that relys on the physical connection of the crimp to be the electrical connection too. my main issue with them is the space they take up when in large bundles when compared with soldering and taping or heatshrinking.

so dont take offence to what was said, at least by me. it was me messing with greg and not trying to take away from your install:roll:

·
Registered
751 Posts
So finally....after 5 days of after hours work at my shop I finally finished putting my Clifford 50.7x alarm in!!! I added a glass break sensor, tilt sensor x2 (front and rear of the car), two LEDs, plus the remote start is finally functional with the neutral saftey switch (my car is MT)....Just thought I'd throw some pictures out there of what a good alarm install should look like...I work on cars all day and I hate going under a dash just to find a bunch of wiring that looks like spaghetti :x ....
Hey now, you did say you hate the spaghetti and then show what looks like spaghetti... what'd you expect :)

At least it looks better than what I did to my wife's car. You pros would definitely say that it screams NOOB which it is, first time I put in anything more complicated than a radio. (Especially when you see what I ended up doing to the lock and unlock wires.)

Though I do have to say those crimp caps look like a mess, where are you gonna stuff that ball of plastic and not have it vibrating all over the inner dash? You pros might have a heart attack, but I just cut all my extra wires to different lengths and taped them together. I'd image the taped up wires make a much smaller bundle.

BTW, I put in a keyless entry module... I definitely have some notes in the event that there is a next time. However, most cars have keyless entry standard at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts