Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have had their CC stolen, I’d like to know the WHERE of when it has happened. Was it overnight at your house while parked on the street/driveway? Or was it during the day at a mall or while at work?
Mine is garaged nightly 90% of the time, except when my daughter is at a friend’s house.
I’m thinking about this more and more as I see it’s an issue for a number of different cars and I’m seeing it make the news frequently.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first one, two weeks ago, was stolen on a cold damp night. And the replacement I installed yesterday was stolen last night. 😭 I park in our alley car port. Its dimly lit and well covered. Ill ask the neighboring elements if their cats got taken last night. Got the third one on the way with a cat protector.

I didnt think the theives would steal my cheap cat but they did. I even engraved my vin on it.

If you live in an area where getting cats cut is an issue, just buy a cat shield for the piece of mind. An exhaust shop quoted me at $2600 in Denver (11/4/21) and said at the beginning of the year it was only $1000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who have had their CC stolen, I’d like to know the WHERE of when it has happened. Was it overnight at your house while parked on the street/driveway? Or was it during the day at a mall or while at work?
Mine is garaged nightly 90% of the time, except when my daughter is at a friend’s house.
I’m thinking about this more and more as I see it’s an issue for a number of different cars and I’m seeing it make the news frequently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About two weeks ago - 15 to 20 feet from the front door of a Chinese restaurant in the middle of the afternoon. Fairly busy place. These guys apparently have no fear of being caught in the act.

·
Registered
‘06 Honda Element EX-P Atomic Blue
29 Posts
I am not sure. I bought mine used and had a fairly good inspection and test drive. However, after a year or so of ownership and reading on EOC about these CC thefts, I decided to look under my car and noticed I don't have one but instead I have a straight pipe welded in between the gap where the CC ought to be. There is not emissions testing in FL so I am good and the E runs well.
I've always wondered why it seemed that my car was loud for stock exhaust
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Been happening for years and happens where ever any vehicle is parked where there is access to the undercarriage to all Makes and Models of vehicles and any time day or night. A thief does not care where or when they see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mid day in a busy Starbucks parking lot with the backed up drive through line less than 10 feet away. I got it replaced and am now trying to do some simple mods to a MillerCat Shield as my AM converter appears to be much smaller than the original. The exhaust shop i am working with said that do not assume that the thieves wont hit the aftermarket units, they grab them just as fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was stolen during the day at a public metro train parking lot that had security that was suppossed to walk the parking lot frequently. I am not saying the didn't because if they know what they are doing, it only takes minutes if not seconds to take the cat from our cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Middle of the day in my daughter's work parking lot, a week after having her purse stolen from the back room of where she worked The purse had the only working key for it and somehow the cat survived that night without a problem. A guess they're easier to steal in broad daylight. Her work is not in the best part of town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Cat guard (from Casey on FB) and added additional iron welded to the guard so it's pretty secure. I figure that will piss of the thieves, and they'll either smash some windows or do something to the car to express their displeasure. It happens everywhere at anytime. Busy strip mall parking lots to dark driveways at home. Good luck everyone.
Here's a pic before I added a few additional strips of steel.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my ‘07 Element SC, OEM CC stolen from my grandson’s apartment parking lot, parked right under a streetlight, midnight or after. Insurance spec’d a Walker downpipe cat assy (pretty nice for non OEM) and Autozone O2 sensors (POS parts), ~ $1510 parts/labor at Honda dealer. Never did totally get rid of check engine light with this setup. It was transient in nature, seemed to come and go with stop & go traffic situations then clear in a couple days. It did pass emissions testing when the light was off. Situation overtaken by events when grandson had a super low speed parking lot fender bender which resulted in car being totaled. Sigh.
On my current gen 2 ‘06 CRV which is just a rebodied Element, DFW long term parking. This conveniently happened to the previous owner before I acquired the car. OEM CC and sensors replaced with some small no-name CC and again, POS Autozone O2 sensors. ~ $700 out of previous owners pocket. Work done at a muffler shop by someone who evidently just finished reading “Welding For Dummies”. The spool pieces/welds to connect the generic parts to the OEM downpipe and tailpipe are kludgy. Ugly but no exhaust leaks. Previous owner stated that check engine light wouldn’t go off until brand new downstream O2 sensor was replaced. Bad POS brand new part. No emissions testing in my rural TX county so unknown if this solution would pass but no associated check engine light to date 8+ months later. The engine starts/runs great and I’m averaging 24 MPG so all seems well for now.

I mention these solutions and aftermath for those whose time has yet to come dealing with insurance companies and non OEM solutions. We have to face it that OEM CCs are no longer available from Honda and even if they were the cost would result in the insurance company totaling the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has happened to my Element twice. Both times overnight while parked in the driveway. I installed a Cat Security and haven't had any further thefts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts